Will cheap phones dominate the market?

plasticman99

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
As cheap Android phones are quite powerful nowadays, will cheap phones dominate the market? It seems that rich guys may buy an iphone to show-off...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will cheap phone dominate the market?

I think the likes of the Moto G and even the E can show that inexpensive devices shouldn't always mean they are garbage. But at the same time, I don't think that the inexpensive phone will dominate either.

EPGames

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
Sure. Cheap phones are powerful enough to be able to do everything. There will always be a market for Apple and some other flagship phones but cheap phones (specially Chinese) will dominate the market in the next few years.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes cheap phones are no longer crap because $100 phones of today can match flagship phones of 3 years ago easily and can do 90% of stuff that today's flagship phones can do. But of course there is much more profit for manufacturers to sell flagships because of much larger margins on each phone sold. That's how Apple got so rich as they don't sell anything but flagship phones.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes... they will.

Much like there are countless more Toyota Camrys on the road than Porsche 911s.... the lower-priced phones will dominate now that their quality has significantly improved. I don't think it will so much as eat into the flagships sales as much as increase the market as people who wouldn't have even purchased a carrier subsidized phone (which can still demand a $100 to $200+ down payment) can now afford to buy one and use it with a bunch of price-conscious plan options.

Not everyone needs a top of the line phone paired with a plan that can support 10 to 20GB of data a month. And now with phones like the Moto G/E and MVNO based plans that are priced quite reasonably... it opens up a large market (especially overseas)

coldspring22

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Sure low end will dominate. Think of PC model. As PC technology matured, only few people need high end PC. Everyone can do everything they want on low end PC. Same is true with smart phone. Today's low end is defined by quad core or even octa core cpu, up to 2GB of ram and even an HD screen. One example I can point to is Xiaomi redmi S1, which cost only $130, but is arguably on the par spec wise with iphone 6. Not only that, camera on this phone is a great shooter too. And tomorrow's low end phones might be even better. Inevitable advancement and maturation of mobile phone stage will make "high cost" premium phones optional for virtually everyone.

LaPera

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Yes, absolutely. The differences between cheap and expensive phones are reduced every day and for most of users are barely appreciable. I think in the near future a expensive phone will be as a jewel and the difference with a cheap one will only be the external material.