Something where Windows trumps Android

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Because that's the way Android is supposed to be. Windows on a phone doesn't give you the same level of access you have on a computer, and that's a good thing. Can you imagine how many people would boink their phones if they had easy, full access?

Although close, you have to remember that these devices are not full blown computers. There are things you still cannot do, and that's a design choice of the OS. If you want a device that's 'fully open' you can get a developer edition one, I guess. If not, you'd have to jump a few hoops.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I just replaced two devices (aging OG Samsung Note 10.1 stand alone Wi-Fi only, and an old Dell PC) with a Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

THE biggest thing that sticks out as a sore point is how easily I have full administrator access (via a separate account) on the Surface Pro to make changes as needed (ex. something as simple as applying ad blocking via the MVPS hosts file). Whereas on Android I have to hope for root access on said device to do the same. :( Why can't Android provide the same simple setup/access?

Your Surface Pro is running Windows. Not Windows Phone, Windows. That's how Windows works, you can do all of that stuff.

Android is not desktop Windows. That's why you can't do those things.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
If you were to run desktop Linux, you'd see that a lot of things require root privileges. Android is a fork of Linux.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Again, not the OS's fault. Android itself does allow you to easily root your device and gain access. But each manufacturer decides if they want to lock down their bootloaders and make it harder for you to achieve this. And it's entirely valid for them, since they want to protect their devices from being tampered with and avoid the hassle of having to support devices that have been modified from their original state. In other words, they are the administrators and chose to block further administrative access from their devices, just like an IT Admin would do if you got a Corporate Computer and doesn't want you to tamper or mess with it. Yes, you can still do it if your savvy enough, but he's not gonna make it easy for you.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
OP must be joking right? He talks about how Windows trumps Android, but he must be joking, because his very reasoning is why Android trumps Windows Phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree, the Surface is a very nice device. BUT it's still clunky compared to other tablets like the iPad or the Tab S, even the Note Pro line. But the advantage of running desktop apps IS a very nice addition. Too bad that, at least for many users, overheating is a concern with the Surface.

Oh, and that keyboard cover. Soooo good. I wish there was something similar for my tablet hehe

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. :) All good points and ones I fully understand (should've made that more clear in my original post which I guess was more of a rant). I still wish Android would at least give us the option of having full administrator without requiring either a Nexus or Developer Edition device or hoping for some exploit to be gained in the system to obtain root (still waiting for this on my Verizon Note 4 retail version :(). Instead bake it into the OS and put it somewhere where the general user can't easily get to it and risk screwing up their device, but allow those of us that are technically proficient and comfortable with the responsibility of it be able to access it and use it.

Your beef in this situation should be with Samsung/Verizon for locking your boot loader, not Google.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would have to agree with giving people easy admin access to a system is a bad idea. Even in the IT field .. IT administrators (SHOULD) have one account with all rights (full admin) and one they use daily. This way they aren't just doing everything with full rights when everything doesn't need it. When they need it .. simple right click - > run as and put in their admin account credentials. This is done because we are all human and can easily make a mistake .. especially a novice user who has admin access to a system. That just sounds scary :D.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Let's look at it another way: one who successfully root their device, may make a mistake and delete files that they should leave well enough alone, and then fret about the device not working properly.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Let's look at it the most common way. Carriers or manufacturers who put bloated applications on your device, which you cannot uninstall, because you don't have the admin rights to do so.

I'd rather have full control of my device, than to be told what I can or can't do with it.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I just replaced two devices (aging OG Samsung Note 10.1 stand alone Wi-Fi only, and an old Dell PC) with a Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

THE biggest thing that sticks out as a sore point is how easily I have full administrator access (via a separate account) on the Surface Pro to make changes as needed (ex. something as simple as applying ad blocking via the MVPS hosts file). Whereas on Android I have to hope for root access on said device to do the same. :( Why can't Android provide the same simple setup/access?

You haven't really proven anything.

Don't get me wrong you got a really good convertible with the surface but your comparing apples and pears with oranges.

You just have to know your devices limitations and buy the correct device for your needs.

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
True, Android is not for everyone, just like iOS is not for everyone and MS Windows will not be for everyone. Glad to see the Surface gaining traction though. I still loathe Win8's toy interface, however. Sure, you can switch between 'modern' and 'classic' desktop, but what's the point? Why not make it a cohesive experience? The biggest thing they removed from Windows in the 'modern' one, is multitasking. Even some Android devices can now do two apps side by side and resize at will, and Samsung's can even do pop-up, floating windows on top of that! What does Win8 do with 'modern' apps? Just two apps side by side, and you can't resize at will without crippling one of the apps. That's the point about Windows! WINDOWS!!! Which are gone now for 'modern' apps. Let me run as many apps as my hardware can take and let me stack them wherever I want! Yes! I need info from more than two apps at once for work! Yes! I use more than just two apps when using Windows! (Which is also why my Android tablet, though I love it, has not been able to replace my laptop)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Ummm... yes, and no. There ARE Android tablets that support docking stations just like the one for the Surface. The Tab S is not one of them, but yeah, can't discredit all of Android on this one. Just like there are Windows tablets that aren't Surfaces and that don't support docking stations. So that's that.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Easy there fellas! Hehe.
And let's be fair! Yes, he's comparing two different OS's and devices, but if you forget that and look at it from a FEATURE perspective, yes, a full-desktop OS will usually trump a mobile OS any day. Microsoft did do a good job with scaling down their hardware to a near-tablet size and cramming a full-desktop OS there. Android is a mobile OS. Feature wise, the OP does have a point.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Easy there fellas! Hehe.
And let's be fair! Yes, he's comparing two different OS's and devices, but if you forget that and look at it from a FEATURE perspective, yes, a full-desktop OS will usually trump a mobile OS any day. Microsoft did do a good job with scaling down their hardware to a near-tablet size and cramming a full-desktop OS there. Android is a mobile OS. Feature wise, the OP does have a point.

OP should be comparing Windows 8 to Windows Phone then, not to Android lol.

That's like me comparing Windows 8 to my microwave's OS.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes... and nope. Hahaha. Again, he's making valid allegations of things with different purposes. But again, look at it from a feature perspective. Both Android and Windows Desktop are meant for computing, and that's their 'common root' (unlike Android and a microwave, unless you believe Samsung's claims that the 810 chip's overheating can bake a potato in 5 minutes hehe). Yes, the 'fairest' comparison would be between Android and Windows Mobile, BUT he's comparing the features of a Surface tablet VS an Android tablet, and that's where Microsoft got it right: They put a Desktop experience in a tablet that's not all that sucky to use. And that DOES trump Android, featurewise.