Sick of giant phones - back to iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Form factor is really an issue now. There are no good phones being made now at the 4 inch size. Anything under 4.5" is total garbage.

I owned an iPhone 4s and gave it to my wife a year and a half ago to get a big screen phone. I ended up getting an LG G2, which served me well up until a few days ago when I decided to get rid of it.

At the end of last year I got an iPad Air 2. I found myself using the bigger screen all the time for everything. Since it is so light it is like holding a few pieces of paper.

So now I'm walking around with this giant brick in my pocket. Can't sit down without having to take it out. It was so annoying. There's nothing uglier than wearing a suit and having a disgusting giant brick bulging out of your dress pants.

I found there are no good small phones out there now, so I sold the G2 after a lot of struggle because nobody wanted it. Got $100 bucks for it and went and got a brand new iPhone 5s.

I couldn't be happier now.

Giant phones are really getting on my nerves. It is time for manufacturers to release small phones worth a damn.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hope you enjoy it. I just find sub-5" screens too small now. We still have my wife's old iPhone 4s lying around, and when I was recently tinkering with it, I just couldn't help thinking how small the screen was and how my eyes were noticeably straining more to read things. Of course, this gets more important as you get older--the eyes just don't do well with small screens.

If I'm wearing a suit, the phone always goes in the inside breast pocket of the jacket, never the pants pocket. Even an iPhone 5 will look pretty obtrusive there (unless you have really baggy and pleated pants) (fashion faux pas!:p).

But I agree that sizes are getting out of hand. I wish Google hadn't gone with the 6" size for the latest Nexus--that's too big for me. Around 5" to 5.5" is the sweet spot for me.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sad to see you leave, and yeah, I agree with you (partially), there are less and less good 'small phones' available. But for me, I wouldn't go back to a smaller screen, and I can't stand iPhone once I've 'tasted' Android. I, too, used to have an iPad. Threw it out the window. I have an iPhone 5S for work. My battery there lasts three days on a single charge because I barely ever turn the screen on. I have a Note 4 (coming from a Note 3 and a Note 2 before that). Couldn't be happier and I love the S-Pen. In my pockets it's not uncomfortable and anything smaller seems like a toy now.

It's all about choice, here :)

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I understand how you feel about big phones.

I got a Note 4 as my DD, but on weekends I settle around with the Z3C due to being easier to put on pants and etc.. (S-Pen is a joy as I work as a designer, and usually do website wireframes on the go and take notes during meetings)

I also agree that Nexus 6 shouldn't have been 6 inches, I mean they could have had 2 versions (Nexus 5 for me had the best size ever for a phone)

Either way, I've noticed more and more people using 4S due to size and we might hit a wall where we need to go back in terms of phone sizes in the near future...

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I didn't leave android because I didn't like it BTW. I had a good 1 1/2 years of service from my G2. But every phone now is huge. Not practical for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mlbrowninsc

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I bought a sony z3 compact a couple weeks ago and love it. About the same size as the 5s with all the power you need. It's been great back at this size. I use an ipad as well at home but love being able to do things like make a phone call with one hand. Highly recommended

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
My work phone is a 4S and frankly is a kiddie toy, not worthy of any real business use and I keep trying to drain the battery so it dies and I can get something larger. My S6 Edge arrives Monday and that is the right size.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Could have just gone for a Sony Z1 Compact, same CPU/GPU and RAM as LG G2, but with a 4.3inch HD720P display:
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact - Full phone specifications

Ah well, enjoy the iPhone.

The Z1 Compact is garbage. I've seen it in person.

The Z3 Compact is nice, but it isn't as nice as a 5s. The 5s is the perfect size and great camera and plenty fast. The 5s wipes the floor with the G2 in benchmarks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I bought a sony z3 compact a couple weeks ago and love it. About the same size as the 5s with all the power you need. It's been great back at this size. I use an ipad as well at home but love being able to do things like make a phone call with one hand. Highly recommended

I wanted to buy that phone.

In the end I ended up getting 2 iPhone 5s. One for the wife and one for me.

Since I have an iPad it makes sense. iOS just shines when you get into the apple ecosystem. Once you own more than one device. I wasn't taking advantage of it fully and wouldn't by getting into another Android.

Android was nice and all, but I'll stick with iPhone. Here in Thailand once you buy an Android they're worth nothing and nobody wants to buy them. The only safe buy here is Samsung and I don't like Samsung devices. The A5 was nice and the S6 Edge is nice too but both too big.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
My work phone is a 4S and frankly is a kiddie toy, not worthy of any real business use and I keep trying to drain the battery so it dies and I can get something larger. My S6 Edge arrives Monday and that is the right size.

The 4s is possibly the best phone apple ever made. Unless you drop it from a building it won't die. Just sell it on eBay.

I know. When I relied on my phone as my one mobile device the tiny 4s screen was driving me crazy. So getting the G2 was awesome. Then I got an iPad and everything changed.

Big phones are nice when you rely on them for most of your internet browsing and that, but when you want a phone just to be a part of other devices you use, carrying that huge thing around is annoying as hell.

It was nice but after a year that thing just started getting heavier and heavier and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Although when I needed the big screen I really enjoyed having the big screen.

I'd be at home or work using my iPad. Then I go out and I grab my phone. I have to have like another pair of pants for the phone. The phone should be wearing its own pants. Wear a suit, have to put the phone inside the jacket. Wear jeans and want to sit? Nah. Have to take it out and put it on the table.

It became like my baby. Like I had a baby. Like that baby in Total Recall with Arnold. The tumor alien Martian baby attached to my leg.

It is such a girl thing to do to walk around with a giant phone in your hands all the time. I just want a nice, well built, great hardware small phone that can be with you when you're out, without bothering you that you can operate with just 1 thumb and has a great camera. Once you get home you can hook it to the charger and go about your business with your other devices. Big screen devices that live at home.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to try lollipop so I picked up a One M8. After going to smaller device in the M8, I realize how large my 6 Plus is and might just "downgrade" to a 6.

Last edited:

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
The 4s is possibly the best phone apple ever made. Unless you drop it from a building it won't die. Just sell it on eBay.

I know. When I relied on my phone as my one mobile device the tiny 4s screen was driving me crazy. So getting the G2 was awesome. Then I got an iPad and everything changed.

Big phones are nice when you rely on them for most of your internet browsing and that, but when you want a phone just to be a part of other devices you use, carrying that huge thing around is annoying as hell.

It was nice but after a year that thing just started getting heavier and heavier and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Although when I needed the big screen I really enjoyed having the big screen.

I'd be at home or work using my iPad. Then I go out and I grab my phone. I have to have like another pair of pants for the phone. The phone should be wearing its own pants. Wear a suit, have to put the phone inside the jacket. Wear jeans and want to sit? Nah. Have to take it out and put it on the table.

It became like my baby. Like I had a baby. Like that baby in Total Recall with Arnold. The tumor alien Martian baby attached to my leg.

It is such a girl thing to do to walk around with a giant phone in your hands all the time. I just want a nice, well built, great hardware small phone that can be with you when you're out, without bothering you that you can operate with just 1 thumb and has a great camera. Once you get home you can hook it to the charger and go about your business with your other devices. Big screen devices that live at home.

Speak for yourself dude.

I have a Note 4 and iPad and use both with no problem. My Note 4 sits fine in my pocket whether I am wearing a suit, skinny jeans or slim fit pants. The only time I find it hard to deal with is when gyming, but I have found a solution for that.

Thanks to the Note 4's incredible battery life I actually use the iPad less, I get home after work at around 18:30, still have around 75-80% battery, no point in getting the iPad out the work bag, just use my giant phone.

In no time your iPad will lose its novelty, and you will be looking at a 6 or 6 Plus.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Speak for yourself dude.

I have a Note 4 and iPad and use both with no problem. My Note 4 sits fine in my pocket whether I am wearing a suit, skinny jeans or slim fit pants. The only time I find it hard to deal with is when gyming, but I have found a solution for that.

Thanks to the Note 4's incredible battery life I actually use the iPad less, I get home after work at around 18:30, still have around 75-80% battery, no point in getting the iPad out the work bag, just use my giant phone.

In no time your iPad will lose its novelty, and you will be looking at a 6 or 6 Plus.

I am speaking for myself. Did you think I was speaking for you?

And no. I won't be looking at a 6 Plus. I already had a giant phone until about 5 days ago. I'm over it.

My iPad is my laptop replacement. I do everything on it. I can't do my taxes on a phone, or photoshop or Vector design. That's what I do on the iPad. You're not me so you don't know what I do with my devices.

I spoke for myself. Now you speak for yourself. Don't tell me what I will or won't do. You don't know anything about me.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I am speaking for myself. Did you think I was speaking for you?

And no. I won't be looking at a 6 Plus. I already had a giant phone until about 5 days ago. I'm over it.

My iPad is my laptop replacement. I do everything on it. I can't do my taxes on a phone, or photoshop or Vector design. That's what I do on the iPad. You're not me so you don't know what I do with my devices.

I spoke for myself. Now you speak for yourself. Don't tell me what I will or won't do. You don't know anything about me.

Someone's sensetive.

Yep, I don't know you, but I've come across threads like this many times...
"My iPad is my laptop replacement."
.... My favourite line :D so many family members and friends have said this to me when they 1st get their new tablet be it a iPad or a Android tablet, and then 6months down the line I get a WhatsApp, a call or a FB Message asking about 'what laptop would you recommend?' as they have now realised how limited the tablet is. I hope you didn't get rid of your laptop, as that would be a shame.

I still rate the iPad the best tablet around due to the sheer amount of high quality content there is for it, thats why I still have it, but trust me, sooner or later you are going to find out how extremely limited it is.

I'm not saying what works for me will work for you, I personally use a Note 4, iPad 4 and a 15.6inch laptop with two 22inch screens for work, I have found that the iPad gets the least use between the 3, and I see many others getting small laptops and a 'giant phone' these day as they discover tablets are not all they are hyped up to be.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Let's cool it down a bit here, and understand that people have their own individual preferences. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital