Thinking on leaving Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I have been an Android user for 4 years now. And over the years Android has improved dramatically, though personally KitKat was the best version, and Android has overcome some great strides.

But along with that, a lot more has negatively happened to Android. The phones that are flagships are minimum 5 inches or phablets outright. Micro SD card slots are now going from standard on phones to being even taken away from the Galaxy S line of phones. Google has started to make the entire Android OS reliant on Google Play Services, a lot of apps won't even run without it and Android as whole becoming less open as it was as a result. Not to mention that Google Play Services is a resources hog (I made another post on that).

Lollipop on the whole was a mess compared to Kitkats growth, Lollipop is much more slower, not even 10% of devices yet nearly 8-9 months after release. And Android is seems to getting worse and worse with updates.

I look at some devices running lollipop and I wonder why couldn't my phone be updated to lollipop? Even some flagships from last year don't even have lollipop yet. Google abandoned all those older devices when that vulnerability become public. It has become just awful.

You know have to upgrade a phone every year to even get decent updates. That isn't fair. Why is Microsoft supporting the Lumia 520 to Windows 10 when that has low lower end specs and is almost two years old. Yet my RAZR M with more memory and better CPU was denied a new update. The iPhone 4S is from 2011 and got iOS 8. Why can't the Galaxy S3 get lollipop when it even has 2GB of RAM? Or the Nexus 4, will that get the new update this year even though it has 2GB of RAM and a quad core processor?

And people may immediately jump to that I am going to iOS. Nope, I think for sure this year I will go Windows Phone (or even Blackberry if they have a high end device this year). Both of those offer more updates, and they offer micro SD card support on most of their devices. And in the case of Windows Phone, you can install apps, and everything else onto the SD card.

And with the rumor that LG is putting a midrange Windows Phone (1GB of RAM, Quadcore, 8MP camera with flash, 4.5 inch display) on Verizon this summer, I may be leaving Android as soon as this summer.

Android has swerved me well, but with Microsofts vision with Windows 10 everywhere and the fact that I am using Microsoft services heavily including my Xbox One. It only makes sense to go Windows Phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Even some flagships from last year don't even have lollipop yet. Google abandoned all those older devices when that vulnerability become public. It has become just awful.

If you've been on Android for 4+ years, none of your complaints should come as a surprise. And you should also know that Google is only responsible for updating it's Nexus devices, and even those generally have an 18 month lifespan as far as updates. Sometimes more, but not for sure.

Google releases a version of Android to the OEMs. The OEMs slap on whatever extras they want, and then decide if they want to update older devices. Well, for the OEM's it's smart to keep a device updated for a year - but much beyond that they'd prefer the consumer to buy a NEW device. Why? That's where the money is - not in a device that's already paid for. So for the OEM, updates generally stop coming 12-18 months after it's released. And again, if you've been around Android for 4 years, this is also not surprising news. It's just part of the platform.

Could things be done better? Absolutely. Does Google always do what we think they should - no matter how logical it is to those of us outside Mountain View? Nope. Is Lollipop a bit of a gongshow compared to KitKat? Yes, but early KitKat wasn't so amazing either

Anyway - you've chosen to move on, and that's great! Yes, I'm serious. I love Android but I'm not so blind as to think of it as THE BEST operating system out there. Each of the 3 major players have pros and cons - and it's just a matter of finding the one that works best for YOU. If you're already deeply entrenched in Windows - having a phone that works well with it is the obvious choice. Hopefully you've done enough research to make sure it's the right OS for you.

Good luck!

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
If you've been on Android for 4+ years, none of your complaints should come as a surprise. And you should also know that Google is only responsible for updating it's Nexus devices, and even those generally have an 18 month lifespan as far as updates. Sometimes more, but not for sure.

Google releases a version of Android to the OEMs. The OEMs slap on whatever extras they want, and then decide if they want to update older devices. Well, for the OEM's it's smart to keep a device updated for a year - but much beyond that they'd prefer the consumer to buy a NEW device. Why? That's where the money is - not in a device that's already paid for. So for the OEM, updates generally stop coming 12-18 months after it's released. And again, if you've been around Android for 4 years, this is also not surprising news. It's just part of the platform.

Could things be done better? Absolutely. Does Google always do what we think they should - no matter how logical it is to those of us outside Mountain View? Nope. Is Lollipop a bit of a gongshow compared to KitKat? Yes, but early KitKat wasn't so amazing either

Anyway - you've chosen to move on, and that's great! Yes, I'm serious. I love Android but I'm not so blind as to think of it as THE BEST operating system out there. Each of the 3 major players have pros and cons - and it's just a matter of finding the one that works best for YOU. If you're already deeply entrenched in Windows - having a phone that works well with it is the obvious choice. Hopefully you've done enough research to make sure it's the right OS for you.

Good luck!

That OEMs/Carriers excuse doesn't fly anymore. Google can do something about updates. And even that 18 mouth month window for nexus devices is short. That is only a year and half. That is terrible. If a device hardware can handle it, it should be updated. Point blank.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
It's not JUST the OEMs and carriers. The company that makes the chipset the phone runs on also has a say. If they choose not to support the new OS on a particular chipset, no new OS on devices running that chipset.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
That OEMs/Carriers excuse doesn't fly anymore. Google can do something about updates. And even that 18 mouth month window for nexus devices is short. That is only a year and half. That is terrible. If a device hardware can handle it, it should be updated. Point blank.

Google provides the OS, that's all. They cannot force the OEMs to update any more than the manufacturer of your car can force you to change the tires on your car when they wear out.

And as far as the OEMs, they're not concerned with updating older devices. People like new - so spending the time and money on keeping many legacy devices updated is a waste. OEMs want one thing - money. Period. Any business exists to make as much money as possible. If people buy a new device that's money in the OEM's pocket. If those phones are kept updated for 3 years - that's 3 years where people probably won't be buying a new device - they simply enjoy the old one, but that's 3 years of people NOT purchasing new devices which means that's 3 years of money not coming in from those consumers. If they update a device for the first 18 months, then by the time the 2 year tarrif or contract is coming due, people are sick of their "old" (but still quite functional) device and are clamoring for the "new" stuff. I'm not saying I think it's good - but if you're thinking profit from the stance of the OEMs it makes a lot of sense. If you cut off updates before that 18 month marker, you loose respect of the consumer for not updating. If you push updates beyond the 2 year mark, you're wasting time and money on updating those older devices when you want people to buy new. So, if you time it just before the magic 2 year mark - you still have kept some devices updated but are still subtly forcing people to buy a new device every couple of years.

SmilerOnline

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It's not JUST the OEMs and carriers. The company that makes the chipset the phone runs on also has a say. If they choose not to support the new OS on a particular chipset, no new OS on devices running that chipset.

Does this call for a new system driver model for Android to support legacy drivers?

Last edited:

vbdwork

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Nope, I think for sure this year I will go Windows Phone (or even Blackberry if they have a high end device this year).

You will face similar issues with both Windows Phone and BlackBerry - limited compatibility and weak ecosystem. Hardware + OS is just the basics, you need apps to make your phone "smart".

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
One can root their device, flash a custom ROM (if applicable), not flash GApps, and use Amazon for their app store.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
though personally KitKat was the best version

I couldn't disagree with this one more. IMO the L Dev Preview was better than KK. But later you say you're upset that you don't have LP. If KK is better, why does not having LP matter?

The phones that are flagships are minimum 5 inches or phablets outright

I really liked my 4.7 Moto X 13 and was hesitant about upgrading to the 5.2" Moto X 14 - that difference was easily to acclimate to however. Now I have the Nexus 6 (5.94"?) and it really is great having that form factor. It is hard on the pocket on my motorcycle, but when you're using it, having that size is awesome. Both 5.2 and 5.94 are usable with one hand, although 5.94 is more difficult.

Micro SD card slots are now going from standard on phones to being even taken away from the Galaxy S line of phones.

Thank the gods for this one.

Google has started to make the entire Android OS reliant on Google Play Services, a lot of apps won't even run without it and Android as whole becoming less open as it was as a result.

Thank Google for this one. This is the answer to fragmentation from a developing standpoint. Granted, 4.4 to 5.0 is a big change in APIs, however the developer studio does account for this and if they develop for the newest version, it scales backwards fine. GPS allows new features and app compatibility to reach many more devices without constant firmware updates.

Lollipop on the whole was a mess compared to Kitkats growth, Lollipop is much more slower, not even 10% of devices yet nearly 8-9 months after release. And Android is seems to getting worse and worse with updates.

LP is 6 months old, almost. This past year it seems that Samsung, HTC & Moto all climbed right aboard the upgrade train. Like they were racing to get LP out the door. How is that worse? The 2014 major flagships are all on LP as far as I know.

Why is Microsoft supporting the Lumia 520 to Windows 10 when that has low lower end specs and is almost two years old.

Not to be too sarcastic here, but Windows has 10 customers. Not upgrading the 9 of them that have the 520 would alienate 90% of their customer base.

Yet my RAZR M with more memory and better CPU was denied a new update.

You'd have to ask Motorola and Verizon on this one.

Why can't the Galaxy S3 get lollipop when it even has 2GB of RAM?

You'd have to ask Samsung and/or whatever carriers are involved on this one.

Or the Nexus 4, will that get the new update this year even though it has 2GB of RAM and a quad core processor?

Google hasn't said anything about the upgrade path to M.

Nope, I think for sure this year I will go Windows Phone

Ok.

Android has swerved me well, but with Microsofts vision with Windows 10 everywhere and the fact that I am using Microsoft services heavily including my Xbox One. It only makes sense to go Windows Phone.

Yeah, if you're heavily invested into the Windows ecosystem, having more devices that play well together does tend to be a better overall user experience. We have lots of users that straddle the OS lines between 2 or more and if you like the way one company is doing things more than another, absolutely vote with your wallet. You could be windows customer 11! :)

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What device? For what reason?
Amazon App Store is not a replacement for Google Play. Many popular apps are simply not there.

It counters the OP's issue of slow Android updates, bypasses the Play Services, and still gives access to an App store. It's not that great of a solution, but it can work.

vbdwork

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
It counters the OP's issue of slow Android updates, bypasses the Play Services, and still gives access to an App store. It's not that great of a solution, but it can work.

Yes, OP can get the latest and greatest OS with custom ROMs, but bypassing Google Play Services is not necessary. Users have somewhat control on what data is shared with Google and there is no obligation to use Google's online services (Search, Gmail, Maps, Drive, etc) on Android OS. Every single mobile OS collects user related data, including Windows Phone and BlackBerry.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You are picking and choosing examples, so let me do the same. I bought a htc titan 2 which was $200 on contract when released in April 2012, same price as the s3 which was released approximately the same time. It didn't even get wp8,which was released in October 2012. So it didn't even get a major update just 6 months later. How do you think I and other htc titan 2 owners felt?

I understand about your razr but it wasn't a high end phone to begin with, and it still got update much better than my high end titan 2

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand why you're blaming Google for lack of long-term support of non-Google devices.

The Nexus 7 2012 has already gotten the update to the latest 5.1.1. The Nexus 4 will get 5.1.1 soon, the factory images have been released. It's possible these devices may get even further updates, especially the Nexus 4. That's *at least 3 years of support* from Google, twice the 18 months they promised.

You won't get 3 years of support from Blackberry, even if they're still around in 3 years. You likely won't from WinPhone either.

As for the value of SD card support, here's my feelings about that:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=4417129

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, OP can get the latest and greatest OS with custom ROMs, but bypassing Google Play Services is not necessary. Users have somewhat control on what data is shared with Google and there is no obligation to use Google's online services (Search, Gmail, Maps, Drive, etc) on Android OS. Every single mobile OS collects user related data, including Windows Phone and BlackBerry.

I agree with you about Play Services. I tried going without Google services after flashing a ROM. Couldn't do it.

But, I was trying to illustrate how the OP can achieve what he wants. Like I said, not the greatest of solutions, but at the same time, the OP's desires are rather unique. He was quite adamant about how Play Services slows down his device.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Google provides the OS, that's all. They cannot force the OEMs to update any more than the manufacturer of your car can force you to change the tires on your car when they wear out.

And as far as the OEMs, they're not concerned with updating older devices. People like new - so spending the time and money on keeping many legacy devices updated is a waste. OEMs want one thing - money. Period. Any business exists to make as much money as possible. If people buy a new device that's money in the OEM's pocket. If those phones are kept updated for 3 years - that's 3 years where people probably won't be buying a new device - they simply enjoy the old one, but that's 3 years of people NOT purchasing new devices which means that's 3 years of money not coming in from those consumers. If they update a device for the first 18 months, then by the time the 2 year tarrif or contract is coming due, people are sick of their "old" (but still quite functional) device and are clamoring for the "new" stuff. I'm not saying I think it's good - but if you're thinking profit from the stance of the OEMs it makes a lot of sense. If you cut off updates before that 18 month marker, you loose respect of the consumer for not updating. If you push updates beyond the 2 year mark, you're wasting time and money on updating those older devices when you want people to buy new. So, if you time it just before the magic 2 year mark - you still have kept some devices updated but are still subtly forcing people to buy a new device every couple of years.

At least 2 years should be the minimum. 18 months is 6 months short of a two year contract. Support should be the top of OEMs list considering Apple is renown worldwide for it. But At least Samsung is vertically integrated and they do keep their flagships updated for a couple years.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You will face similar issues with both Windows Phone and BlackBerry - limited compatibility and weak ecosystem. Hardware + OS is just the basics, you need apps to make your phone "smart".

I am in college, besides Office, Onenote, keeping track of my Xbox stuff. I use my phone for web browsing, and navigation from time to time. I am a low demand user. My only beef is I don't have much experience with HERE Maps/Bing Maps, I need to use it.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
One can root their device, flash a custom ROM (if applicable), not flash GApps, and use Amazon for their app store.

The issue isn't Google. It is the fact that for someone like me, Android is become less appealing. I can see some glaring issues in Androids current state that make me question using Android as a smartphone platform going forward.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't disagree with this one more. IMO the L Dev Preview was better than KK. But later you say you're upset that you don't have LP. If KK is better, why does not having LP matter?

I really liked my 4.7 Moto X 13 and was hesitant about upgrading to the 5.2" Moto X 14 - that difference was easily to acclimate to however. Now I have the Nexus 6 (5.94"?) and it really is great having that form factor. It is hard on the pocket on my motorcycle, but when you're using it, having that size is awesome. Both 5.2 and 5.94 are usable with one hand, although 5.94 is more difficult.

Thank the gods for this one.

Thank Google for this one. This is the answer to fragmentation from a developing standpoint. Granted, 4.4 to 5.0 is a big change in APIs, however the developer studio does account for this and if they develop for the newest version, it scales backwards fine. GPS allows new features and app compatibility to reach many more devices without constant firmware updates.

LP is 6 months old, almost. This past year it seems that Samsung, HTC & Moto all climbed right aboard the upgrade train. Like they were racing to get LP out the door. How is that worse? The 2014 major flagships are all on LP as far as I know.

Not to be too sarcastic here, but Windows has 10 customers. Not upgrading the 9 of them that have the 520 would alienate 90% of their customer base.

You'd have to ask Motorola and Verizon on this one.

You'd have to ask Samsung and/or whatever carriers are involved on this one.

Google hasn't said anything about the upgrade path to M.

Ok.

Yeah, if you're heavily invested into the Windows ecosystem, having more devices that play well together does tend to be a better overall user experience. We have lots of users that straddle the OS lines between 2 or more and if you like the way one company is doing things more than another, absolutely vote with your wallet. You could be windows customer 11! :)

Moto X 2014 was a phablet IMO. That was no way in the right size range as the Moto X 2013, which I actually owned for a while. And you are excusing the shoddy updating system Android has. OEMs get say, carriers get say, way too many middlemen for me to have some kind of decent support for a device I spend hundreds on. With smartphones, we not only have to be happy for what they do now, we also should expect support during the life cycle of the device. And I see this attitude more and more among the Android community, here and on /r/Android on Reddit. People are excusing the shoddy and inconsistent support Android can have while still buying a new phone every year or every few months. While there are a good number who don't care about updates, for those that do and want to use a phone for a while, Android is not the place to be. Even with Nexus, 18 months is a small window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol