Verizon announces 4 identical devices from 4 different manufacturers?

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Care to point to that?

thinking more about it, I think the article was talking why the thunderbolt didnt use a dual core cpu, it said something like HTC uses qualcomm cpu's and qualcomm does not have there dual core cpu ready yet and mototala use nvida and there tegra cpu has been ready for a while, so look for the HTC Incredible sometime in the 2nd qtr when qualcomm readies there dual core snapdragon cpu.

I'll keep searching, but theres a ton of articles to go back through

StrandedBrit

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Didn't find anything regarding HTC, but I did find various articles about some ASUS tablets coming soon and while most were using the Tegra2, one was caught with a dual-core snapdragon. They have a June launch date so Q2 dual snapdragons doesn't seem too off.

Link.

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I can't wait to see Samsung's new 4.3" Super AMOLED+ screen!!!!
Wicked!!! Looks like all the others are still using outdated LCD garbage.

jas o

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I can't wait to see Samsung's new 4.3" Super AMOLED+ screen!!!!
Wicked!!! Looks like all the others are still using outdated LCD garbage.

I don't think that they use LCD by choice. I believe the Super Amoled screens are pretty much controlled by Samsung. This is what led to the 5-6 week wait for Dinc's last year and why they switched to SLCD.

iTz Nicholas72

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'll take a LCD over AMOLED+ just of the fact that the latter is Samsung and they have horrible CS and update support.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I'll take a LCD over AMOLED+ just of the fact that the latter is Samsung and they have horrible CS and update support.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat. My wife and I picked up a couple Fascinates last week to buy some time between her broken blackberry and the phones announced at CES, and while I really like the phone the update support is really lackluster (I'm referencing the most recent maintenance release that was supposed to be yesterday, and obviously Froyo)

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't think that they use LCD by choice. I believe the Super Amoled screens are pretty much controlled by Samsung. This is what led to the 5-6 week wait for Dinc's last year and why they switched to SLCD.

Yeah, I don't think Samsung is willing to sell the technology to anyone yet. It's one of the biggest draws for their Galaxy line of phones (and Nexus S as well), so they'd really rather not give it to the competition.

froboebel

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
3.7" inchers getting eaten alive by the 4" and 4.3" phones.

The much anticipated Droid 2 release, for example, proved to be underwhelming under the shadow of the Droid X. 3.7" vs. 4.3".

Then HTC's, and much of Motorola's line, mainly on 3.7" screens, got devoured on the market by Samsung's 4" screen phones.

Let's remove the Android OS factor and check on the Windows Phone 7 market to see---

Again, we see the HTCs and LGs with the 3.7" and 3.5" screens getting eaten alive by the Samsung's with the 4" screens and the HD7 (4.3").

The 3.7" slab is dying. Samsung and HTC has proven the 4" to 4.3" factor to be publicly acceptable. The reason why HTC still goes with a 3.7" screen is that it lets you make a decent size slider. The bigger the screen goes, the bigger the keyboard becomes and the phone becomes more of a handful. Hence the reluctance for Samsung to release a Galaxy S Pro after the Epic was released.

Droid 2 and Droid X can't really be compared; a 2nd gen slider vs the FIRST and ONLY 4.3" slab on Verizon.

Then the wave of Samsung phones came with a more advanced CPU in the hummingbird, and still couldn't eclipse the popularity of the Droid Incredible on Verizon for example.

There is not enough evidence to support a claim that the 3.7" slab is "dying." I can not possibly be alone in my displeasure in the current generation of large phones. 4" is about as large as I am willing to open my wallet for.

If I had to guess, the larger screen size is a design limitation while manufacturers figure out how to cram all these radios and advanced chips into a smaller, more reasonable space.

froboebel

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Some people don't feel that way though. I don't think we'll see the end of 4" devices, but I definitely think the age of 3.7" devices is coming to an end. I would not be surprised to see the next iPhone have a 4" screen.

I think it is actually very likely for the next iPhone to have a 4" screen because it is perfectly middle-of-the-road so the iPhone users that desire a larger screen can be satisfied while users that would just as soon stick with their current sized display or just slightly larger wouldn't be pushed to a device as large as the DX.

And as much as many of us loath Apple here (myself included), they clearly put more emphasis on the external design of their products than any other smartphone manufacturer. With that said, one can just about guarantee it's not gonna be a hulking DX sized device.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
And are they not going to bring out any Android world phones except for the Droid 2 Global? I hear that LTE is going to be GSM based, so does that mean that all LTE phones will therefore be world phones?

Icon

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
you got your info messed up a little. LTE is not GSM based, although it does require a sim card, similar to GSM. However LTE is initially data only, voice is still using 3G. So the only way you will be able to use your LTE device over seas is if the country you travel to has LTE deployed.

lapeter

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I thought I saw somewhere that the Thunderbolt was going to be global. I hope so.

And are they not going to bring out any Android world phones except for the Droid 2 Global? I hear that LTE is going to be GSM based, so does that mean that all LTE phones will therefore be world phones?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon