Where does all the PS updated app data go?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
This has been Irritating me for a few weeks.
I am a low end user but have a medium number of apps I guess.

Help me with my math.

I ask for notice before app updates so I watch 5 - 10 updates at a time downloading. Now it's not as exciting as it was checking if I had Windows XP updates in the past, but it still helps to fill my day.

Now the size of these can vary from under 20 mb to over 40 mb +, I forget. I took screenshots a while ago but can't find 'em.

I can download 1gb of updates a week easily, can't I?

5-6 updates some days, 10+ today.

I am on virtually unlimited data now, so that's not my concern here, though it will be someone else's.

Over 18 months that's a lot of bites going in to this machine. Yet the app info data amount doesn't grow.

What's the process behind updates.
Has for example the 37 mb I downloaded for 1 app entirely replaced the app.

Where did the old data go.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The app update is usually saved in a cache partition (one that, in theory, gets purged periodically to save precious internal storage). Before JellyBean (I think it was then when 'Delta' updates started), the app needed to be fully replaced to be updated, but now the file you're downloading is only a partial update depending on the version installed in your phone and actually the phone you have if the dev has different versions for different phones. That is decompressed, installed, replaces bits in the current app, and then sent back to cache. So the app itself might not change size dramatically (there are even updates that reduce the app size if the dev optimizes things) after the update, but you did download and used storage to do that.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I know you are a whiz at all things.

I kinda only follow some of that, but hey that's me.

It's obviously not something to lose sleep over, as it works somehow, but the basic math would mean an awful lot of cache build up, even if a lot is 'exchanged' - and anyone who doesn't clear cache would have problems, surely.

I have seen 500mb+ in Storage - Cached Data - though I clear via Recovery Mode more often.

Just an illogicality (!) math wise, but also getting more relevant as these updates are getting bigger.

Just have to trust the great god of Android to know what it's doing.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
And that's why some users have trouble installing apps or updates when they're running low on internal storage. They forget they need extra space not only for the download, but to decompress the files, to run the installation, temporary files, etc.

Again, in theory that cache partition should be auto-managed by the OS, so you shouldn't have to clear it that often. But updates are not the only things that keep things in cache, so that's when things can get complicated.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I have seen 500mb+ in Storage - Cached Data - though I clear via Recovery Mode more often.

I'm not sure if it's different between devices, but in my phone wiping the cache partition doesn't free any space. It doesn't touch the cached data that you see under settings - storage and the available storage after the wipe is just the same.

Madd, could you do me a favor? Could you check that next time you wipe the cache partition and tell me how it was? I'm getting very curious about this whole cache thing :)

And another favor. Are you still using Tapatalk or AC Forums app? Check the cache and miscellaneous size in settings - storage. Then go to any of those apps and clear cache inside the app. Check the sizes again. I want to compare things between my Moto and your Samsung.

Ah! Any one reading this could join the party and check with their phones :)

I'm trying to establish a pattern between devices.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
OK - I was being characteristically dumb yesterday I guess. Data doesn't use physical space (like a hard disk?) .
So anything in whichever cache is put there for a reason, if only temporarily.

This was clearly going to happen when you allow non techies to join a forum like this and let them pretend to understand stuff.

So what's left is types of Cache storage, and when it's used.

@Javier : I had approx 90mb in app cache between Tapatalk (for forums) and Android Central app. When I cleared both, I had exactly that amount less in Storage - Cached Data (439mb to 349mb).

When I did a partition wipe in Recovery Mode, I still had the 349mb in Storage - Cached Data. (Samsung Note 3).

I don't have my Moto G back until next week and may sell it.

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Madd! It seems that wiping the cache partition doesn't free storage at all. It just resets or formats a physical space reserved for the system.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeh it's very different of course, so I wasn't surprised. Rukbat or someone explained what is in the partition but I couldn't explain it right now if pushed.