Why does the Apple Watch COST SO MUCH?

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Not that I care, I'm currently kicking around getting a Gear S for my Note 2 hopefully soon to be Note 4, but what the hell? The freaking Gear S tops would run me about 450 for verizon full retail, yet the Apple Watch is going for 700+? What in God's name does that thing do, provide you with your own personal AI that's not evil/homicidal?

Derewd

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
Even the base price of $350 is a ripoff when you consider that the breakdown to produce an Apple watch is around $89. The breakdown costs were leaked online and i believe that was the total amount. Then when you consider the 10 cent plastic "sports" band that sell for another $60 or so you really see how stupid Apple products are and how they rip their consumers off.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Even the base price of $350 is a ripoff when you consider that the breakdown to produce an Apple watch is around $89. The breakdown costs were leaked online and i believe that was the total amount. Then when you consider the 10 cent plastic "sports" band that sell for another $60 or so you really see how stupid Apple products are and how they rip their consumers off.

Everything is marked up a ton. Samsung phones cost like $210 to make and they sell for $700+. Moto phones cost $200 to make and they get sold for $650. HTC phones cost $200...you get the point. Everyone is out to make a profit. Not just Apple

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

vbdwork

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Everything is marked up a ton. Samsung phones cost like $210 to make and they sell for $700+. Moto phones cost $200 to make and they get sold for $650. HTC phones cost $200...you get the point. Everyone is out to make a profit. Not just Apple.

What about hardware/software engineering and marketing costs?
I agree business is about profit, but device cost is not sum of parts only.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well.... Apple not only marks up their hardware more than any other OEM, they are pretty open about it, and the financial industry dotes over it... Their margins are industry leading!!

Odd thing to boast about, but whatever.

As for the Apple Watch.... desire to make even more money is the only reason I can think of for the price jumps for the different models.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
What about hardware/software engineering and marketing costs?
I agree business is about profit, but device cost is not sum of parts only.
Oh, I'm sure there's more money being spent on these phone, but there's still at least a 100% profit being made I would think

vbdwork

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Oh, I'm sure there's more money being spent on these phone, but there's still at least a 100% profit being made I would think

True and there is nothing wrong with it. Customers pay for a brand name and quality. Not everyone can make such product. The product is the device, engineering, past and future software development, marketing, distribution channels, customer service, support and additional services (free cloud storage, for example, backup options, compatibility with other products, etc.), warranty conditions. There are just few major players on this market. The other option is to purchase on eBay something from Xuangxichou Inc. (Google doesn't know about it) in mainland China for $50 - smart watches, phones, tablets... they can make whatever you like. 30 business days delivery, no support, no updates, sometimes works... and has a color screen too, with 10200mAh battery (120mAh real)... with user manual in language (they call it English) you don't understand a single word. The choice is yours.

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I guess the question is, expensive relative to what?

Apple is marketing their Apple Watch as a watch, not as a computer. When you consider that a decent watch out there already costs a few thousand dollars, the Apple Watch actually seems pretty fairly-priced by comparison.

But the simplest answer is because Apple can. People are generally more willing to pay a premium for Apple products. Try asking another company like Samsung or LG to charge a premium price for their smartwatches; see if anyone will buy them.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I guess the question is, expensive relative to what?

Apple is marketing their Apple Watch as a watch, not as a computer. When you consider that a decent watch out there already costs a few thousand dollars, the Apple Watch actually seems pretty fairly-priced by comparison.

But the simplest answer is because Apple can. People are generally more willing to pay a premium for Apple products. Try asking another company like Samsung or LG to charge a premium price for their smartwatches; see if anyone will buy them.

Exactly this. I'm sure Samsung and HTC would sell their phones for $800 if they knew people would buy them.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon