Punishing kids by taking away their phone?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I was reading Phil's thread

From the Editor's Desk: First phone for Daddy's little girl ... | Android Central

and it reminded me of a discussion I had with a friend that was punishing her daughter by suspending her phone service.

I casually said, not trying to interfere, "You know that an Iphone can still send messages, through IMessage, and still surf the Internet on Wifi."

"Are you serious? She has wifi everywhere and all of her friends have Iphones."

"You could take her phone away."

"No, I don't want to do that because this could escalate the situation."

I'm single, but I was curious if any others used cell phones as a way to mandate good behavior or to punish for bad behavior.

If I had kids, I'd get them a cell phone as a means to communicate with me. Taking away a phone could make it more difficult for me to keep track of my kid and deprive them of a tool if they were in serious trouble.

I had another friend that confiscated her daughter's Iphone and made her use a 2007-2008 Blackberry for a month. It actually got her point across, while still allowing her daughter access to a phone. I thought it was a good idea and would use a similar approach.

However, I know many people don't have extra phones lying around to swap in and out when needed.

Is it bad to use technology as a punishment tool when cell phones have become so mainstream that relying on payphones is no longer a viable option for most?

Personally, I've got my current phone setup with Google Voice/Hangouts/Skype and have for several years. I can text and call as well from my computer as I can from a phone.

Cellular service gives me the freedom to stay connected when I am on the go, but if I know I'll be staying home and connected to wifi, my cellular provider is not necessary.

If I wanted to punish myself, I'd have to disconnect my computer, since I can receive and send texts and make phone calls over Skype and Google Voice. I'd also need to get rid of every phone and tablet as well.

Nowadays, tablets, computers, and smartphones can do many of the same things on wifi.
If you want to punish your kid, do you take them all away, especially computers and tablets are becoming more and more necessary to do research and complete homework for school?

Just curious if anyone had an opinions to share?

moheeb

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
it depends on the age of your kids. In my case, my kids age blow 12 and they have tablets and laptops. Internet access is limited to certain hours per day and weekends. These hours are reduced as punishment or extended as a reward.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Best way to get a kid's attention is to find their currency. What do they value the most and would least want to lose? It could be a snack, movie, video game, etc.

Mobile devices are now a part of life for a lot of kids... Holding access over their heads is often a very effective motivator.