S6 vs G4 - Which is better?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, I think I'm going to be getting either one of these phones in a few weeks. But I don't know which is the better one to buy. I have questions about both phones:

1. Is the Exynos processor that's in the S6 going to be compatible with every app in the play store? Or are some not compatible?

2. Is the battery life better on one of these phones?

3. Which software skin is better between these two?

4. Does one perform better?

5. Which OEM (Samsung or LG) seems to update the OS the most frequently?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: S6 vs G4

1. Yes
2. G4, by 20% - 40%
3. Both horrible
4. No
5. Samsung

via Asus Zenfone 2. Android Central Moderator.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

LG has decided to unlock the G4 (and others) boot loaders. This could sway modders decisions. Although the S6 is less moddable by default anyways.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

LG has decided to unlock the G4 (and others) boot loaders. This could sway modders decisions. Although the S6 is less moddable by default anyways.

Well, personally I don't mod or root my phone or devices. Android offers me enough as is. I'm just trying to pick the best option here.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

Look at what you value in a smartphone, as these things are subjective.

Removable battery and SD card slot are on G4, whereas built-in wireless charging and fingerprint scanning on the S6.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

Look at what you value in a smartphone, as these things are subjective.

Removable battery and SD card slot are on G4, whereas built-in wireless charging and fingerprint scanning on the S6.

Well, I value performance, getting updates, battery, a good camera, and something that's lag free or as close to that. I don't really care too much if something has removable backs or not. Wireless charging does sound nice. As does quick charging. I also want a good UI. Or at least the least crappy one. Although I'm just gonna put the Google now launcher on it anyway probably.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

I keep hearing mixed reports about the g4s performance. Some say it's worse than the s6, some say it's about the same.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I keep hearing mixed reports about the g4s performance. Some say it's worse than the s6, some say it's about the same.

Honestly they're both neck in neck. They're the top dogs right now so it just depends on preference really. We can compared down to the tiniest spec but in reality it won't matter so you just have to go with whichever one appeals to you more.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

Honestly they're both neck in neck. They're the top dogs right now so it just depends on preference really. We can compared down to the tiniest spec but in reality it won't matter so you just have to go with whichever one appeals to you more.

Honestly, I think I'd really benefit from the gs6s quick charge and wireless charging. Always wanted a phone with wireless charging. And I never completely hated touch wiz. And from what I read the ui is a bit more fluid on the gs6. I'm not a huge fan how expensive it is though. And whether it'll even get android m in a timely manner.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Honestly, I think I'd really benefit from the gs6s quick charge and wireless charging. Always wanted a phone with wireless charging. And I never completely hated touch wiz. And from what I read the ui is a bit more fluid on the gs6. I'm not a huge fan how expensive it is though. And whether it'll even get android m in a timely manner.

Honestly if you're not going Nexus or something -- trying to get timely updates is a pain. When the carrier gets involved it always gets delayed. Sometimes we get lucky and it is fast .. other times it is very slow.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

Honestly if you're not going Nexus or something -- trying to get timely updates is a pain. When the carrier gets involved it always gets delayed. Sometimes we get lucky and it is fast .. other times it is very slow.

Right. The problem is I didn't want a phone as big as the nexus 6 and I think I'm gonna hate the moto x's battery life. That's why I thought these other two phones would be my best options.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Right. The problem is I didn't want a phone as big as the nexus 6 and I think I'm gonna hate the moto x's battery life. That's why I thought these other two phones would be my best options.

I was talking about these two phones. The LG is a 5.5 and the S6 is a 5 inch IIRC.

So now it's just about what appeals more to you. Choose on that and enjoy!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: S4 vs G6 - Which is better?

So, I think I'm going to be getting either one of these phones in a few weeks. But I don't know which is the better one to buy. I have questions about both phones:

1. Is the Exynos processor that's in the S6 going to be compatible with every app in the play store? Or are some not compatible?

2. Is the battery life better on one of these phones?

3. Which software skin is better between these two?

4. Does one perform better?

5. Which OEM (Samsung or LG) seems to update the OS the most frequently?

To preface, I have the S6e and G4.

1. I haven't had any app incompatibility issues with either devices.

2. I get around 4-5 hours SOT on the S6E. Haven't used the G4 enough to make an assessment.

3. I think Samsung did a better job, but obviously a lot of this is personal preference.

4. They both perform really well. Neither is perfect and both have had some occasional minor stutter in my usage.

5. Both are pretty good. I think Samsung is a little better at this time.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I was talking about these two phones. The LG is a 5.5 and the S6 is a 5 inch IIRC.

So now it's just about what appeals more to you. Choose on that and enjoy!

S6 is 5.1". and the size difference is noticeable to me.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Having had a Note 4 before the S6E, I can definitely say that the S6 is more fluid than previous TW. A wireless charging case does exist, if wireless charging is very important to you. The Verizon S6 is $600, Verizon G4 is $550. They are close enough in price, imo, that price should not be a deciding factor.

It depends on how you define "timely manner". I would expect that it would get it, similar to when say the Note 4 or G3 got lollipop.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

1. Yes
2. G4, by 20% - 40%
3. Both horrible
4. No
5. Samsung

via Asus Zenfone 2. Android Central Moderator.

I would tend to agree with 1-4, but isn't LG better at providing faster software updates for their flagship phones. I maybe wrong since I don't use LG, but they seem to be pretty fast on getting software updates to their users. Seems like I am always waiting on Samsung.

One of the biggest factors for you maybe size. The G4 is bigger than the S6. You may prefer the larger screen on the G4 or you may prefer the smaller size of the S6. I would go and try both and see what you prefer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome