Well, that was disappointing...

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I just tried a class 10 SD card in my phone, since ive heard theyre the fastest.

My phone takes literally a full minute to turn on and off. probably 3 or 4 minutes to calculate and then show me the apps (storage)....

and when i tried turning my phone on with no SD card, all of that was lightening fast. Soi thought Sd card speed was the answer. apparently sd card speed means nothing at all...

switching from class 4 to class 10 makes no noticable difference, at all.... except that now i have more space. big deal.

i was going to do some experimenting with directory bind.... but since its still just as slow, im not sure i want to now...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Even a class 10 card still has a much slower read/write than the internal. I can't remember by how much though.

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
But what i dont understand though is that its not reading or writing anything when its trying to power down, or view the current storage (with nothing else running/downloading). Those things were lightening fast with no card inside. But the why is what i dont understand - especially since most things only get moved to the internal SD, and only things like my photos and ringtones are on external. It just makes no sense.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Isn't that exactly why Google hates SD cards? They've said it since the beginning...it'll ruin the Android experience and slow the phone down.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
What phone do you have???

My Note 4 runs just fine with both my 32GB MicroSD and a 64GB MicroSD, both class 10.

Last edited:

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Hell, I have a Note 2 with a 64 gig micro sd, not sure if its a class 10 in there, but I sure don't have a 3-4 minute cycle. Worst case its maybe 1 minute, and thats absolutely tops.

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
im on the samsung captivate glide, running rooted and debloated ICS

but the phone itself is great, no SD card its all super fast. plug that sd card in... and theres a few minutes of your life youll never get back everytime you want to look at the storage, with the SD card.

wish there was some way to tell android that the SD card IS the internal space.... making it think there is no SD card but that the phone is alot bigger.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well it could be that the phone in question is a bit older and quite a bit slower than todays smartphones plus it was launched with Gingerbread OS which should tell you the whole story.

It has 8GB of Storage and 1GB of RAM and likley out of that 8GB you get maybe 4GB or so plus that phone "may" not support Class 10.

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Besides the battery getting a bit flaky at times though, ive had no real issues with the operation of the phone itself. ive been enjoying it. I was just hoping to make it faster as far as looking up the storage, and turning off, by getting the class 10. Its true that i only have access to about 4gb of the phones internal memory, but so far it hasnt been an issue, especially since taking off all of the useless crap ill never use (like it came with something similar to microsoft office trial, other samsung stuff i didnt need since i wouldnt use).

There are roms to make my phone run even 5.0, but ive been happy with the OS itself and nothing has gotten outdated. and i know im alone but im a fan of touchwiz.

Bumble2000

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I just tried a class 10 SD card in my phone, since ive heard theyre the fastest.

My phone takes literally a full minute to turn on and off. probably 3 or 4 minutes to calculate and then show me the apps (storage)....

and when i tried turning my phone on with no SD card, all of that was lightening fast. Soi thought Sd card speed was the answer. apparently sd card speed means nothing at all...

switching from class 4 to class 10 makes no noticable difference, at all.... except that now i have more space. big deal.

i was going to do some experimenting with directory bind.... but since its still just as slow, im not sure i want to now...

Not sure if this would be feasible, but have you tired backing up the data on your SD card, and reformatting it? That might help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463