The Cloud or an SD Card

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Cloud for me as well.

Y'all must have unlimited data to back up all your photos on the cloud while taking pictures.

I have a Fujifilm bridge camera with a 32 GB SD card, I don't think I've ever even considered making backups of my pics to a cloud storage while taking pictures. Usually I just pop my SD card into my computer and transfer the pics onto there.

Then I upload the pics I like onto imgur. I guess that's my cloud storage, haha.

I do have unlimited data but I don't have the photos backup over my LTE. I have it set to backup to Google when on wifi and the phone is charging. That way it does it once a night. No strain on my battery while I'm out and about taking photos and they backup automatically.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not true. All those nude celebrity photos that came out a while back were on a very popular cloud. .
Company goes down and you loose it all.

Stop telling folks incorrect information.

Via my HTC One M9...

Normally this doesn't happen but I think it's safe to say Google won't be going down (or out of business) anytime soon. :).

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
64 gig otg flash drive, PC, and Photo bucket, One Drive, Google

Can't be too safe.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Here's why I use the cloud lot and why an SD card doesn't begin to do the job. For me comparing SD and cloud storage is ridiculous. They're too different.

I need to keep 2 phones, 2 tablets and 2 PCs, one Linux and one Win 7, all backed up and everything synced. This includes 5 email accounts, 4 contact lists, 3 calendars, thousands of documents, photos, etc etc for 2 businesses with offices in our house and our personal stuff. And I don't feel backups are truly complete unless they are saved to multiple locations.

That's a lot of work to do manually, plus manual backups can miss the most recent changes, additions or deletions. So I've automated about 99% of it and configured it so that backups are immediate.

So how is this possible?

I use cloud services extensively. Some people are paranoid about cloud storage but I don't know how I could accomplish such thorough data redundancy, security and easy access from anywhere and using any platform without it. And it's automatic!

Mobile apps and desktop clients for Google Drive, Dropbox and Insync plus FolderSync and Cloud HQ's cloud storage sync services handle automatic backup and distribution of files. Google Drive and Dropbox apps and FX File Explorer make everything available tap-tap easy on mobile devices without taking up valuable local storage space.

All email accounts are IMAP so mail stays in the cloud as well as on devices. Google stuff is backed up to Google accounts. Photos taken on phones are automatically immediately uploaded to Google Drive using FolderSync. Backups created on devices for apps like AquaMail or Nova Launcher are also immediately uploaded by FolderSync. A few minor odds and ends are manually backed up and sent to the appropriate Google Drive storage for that account.

We have 5 Google accounts. One Google account has 1TB storage on Google Drive which is included with our Google Fiber service. That serves as a kinda master storage depot. A free 10GB Dropbox account is used as a safety backup of the most critical business and personal files.

Cloud HQ sync service syncs everything in Dropbox and 4 Google Drive accounts to the master Google Drive account in real time. InSync is used to keep everything on the master Google Drive storage synced to local storage on the Linux PC and the Google Drive desktop client handles that chore for the Win 7 PC. Dropbox clients on both PCs also sync Dropbox locally separately.

What all this means is we always have backups of everything in multiple locations, both cloud and local. And it's all automatic and done in real time. It took some thought and time to setup, but once done files sync around everywhere with no effort required.

Our house could burn down with our PCs and phones inside and we wouldn't lose any important records, photos or saved music.

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I back them up or move them to a pc (only about 20 on a dull week).

True I could not instantly access them on my phone to show someone - so when that penny finally dropped I back them up automatically with Dropbox, regularly with One Drive, and on and off with Google Drive.

Accessing them from the cloud, Dropbox especially (and I love it otherwise) can be a complete pfaffle as they load randomly.

I am sure people will suggest folders or easier methods, but I haven't been to enough interesting events and places in 3 years to worry about losing some.

Misery Guts, London.

c-dee

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I use both but prefer SD.

The cloud I use for non-important documents, images and software demonstration videos which anyone could view.

Please guys be in remembrance that anything you put on the cloud could technically stay there FOREVER and be collected by employers of that cloud storage company, I don't care what it says in privacy statements or TOCs.

Remember that iCloud fiasco (Jeniffer Lawrence) with certain female celebrities lol. Whether it was real or fake to generate publicity, it just gives another example of vulnerabilities that exist. Also who's to say that some desk jockey employee is not copying stuff you send to the cloud for his/groups own personal gain. There stringent stances on privacy and file encryption could all just be one big joke on you lol

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Both.

Google Photos to backup all my photos that I've taken (it's unlimited, so I'm fine) and my 128GB SD card for new photos that will be transferred to Google Photos once I get an internet connection.

I wouldn't say the cloud is perfect since not all of us have acceptable or even great quality internet in our area, but it is definitely the future.

Maybe when we get ultrafast wireless and much higher data caps, the cloud could be our invisible SD card.

anon(8413510)

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Photos are stored on my SD card, also onto my PC and also an external hard drive cloud backup is too
1 Onedrive
2 Dropbox
3 Flickr
4 Google Photos

All in all I have all my photos and videos in 7 places,Keeps everything secure

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay