Samsung says it isn't charging for Froyo

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if I ever truly believed this anyway (although anything is certainly possible at this point), but at least they responded to it. Not saying anything would have only added fuel to the fire.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Samsung wrote to Phone Scoop, "No. Samsung is not charging carriers for Froyo updates to Galaxy S. We hope to have more detail on status shortly. Promise!"

they are promising to hope
LMAO come on thats some funny stuff

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, I would believe them. There is certainly no way Samsung could have charged, or the carriers in small or emerging countries, to have paid for any update on their Galaxy S. In fact, it would not explain why unbranded, unlocked, no carrier attached Galaxy S i9000s managed to get the Froyo updates first.

I wasn't charged for any money when I brought my Galaxy S i9000 in to a Samsung service center who did the upgrade for my phone. It wasn't upgrading with Kies and I was told by a Samsung retailer to turn the phone in to an official Samsung service center. The SIM I got on the unbranded unlocked phone was from a carrier that didn't even carry the Galaxy S.

Unlike the HTC phones however, the update on the Galaxy S required a clean swipe of the phone, SD memory included. It had been backed up previously and other data are expendable. I think that's the real problem here --- the update may require a clean swipe of the phone and Samsung is looking for less "painful" ways to upgrade.

beandon

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, if that's not the case, just tell us what's holding you back! Or release the update already. Seriously.

Carriers

p sure they are the ones that control when you actually get the update

but im sure someone will want to go round and round about whether or not that is true or not.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes *I think* that the carriers add their crapware, break something, go back to Samsung.. carrier breaks something else.... If they would release what Samsung gives them we might have a working OS already (just how I feel)... Carriers (Sprint) and Samsung have finally started to respond, but their responses (like Sprints) is always vague and never really answers any questions.....

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, I believe the problem lies that US carriers don't know what to think about the OTA updates. The moment US carriers start charging tiered plans, and this update is big---its not just Froyo update, it is also a Touchwiz update---who is going to pay for the 100mb of so of download through the wireless? The bill gets bigger when the carriers want to include some of their bloatware with it.

Basically, the bigger the update, the more you have to figure out who is going to pay for the costs of data moving them all into your phone. The consumer, the carrier?

So the answer lies using a PC sync program where all the data is moved using the wired internet. Basically no different from the iTunes/iPhone combination. Actually, no different from any other, since Symbian, Blackbery and Windows Phone all use some PC software to sync and update the phone. Only Android and Palm WebOS is adventurous to do the entirely on the air thing. Nokia used to have updates pushed entirely on the air (see downloads folder), but they have gone to using their PC Ovi Suite software instead of late.

Sony Ericsson pushes minor updates on the air, but big updates, like Android 2.1 update for the X10, is done with PC software.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci