Which basic cellphone do you recommend for someone older?

WP_290

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I want an android phone for an adult, the user is interested to start using WA and FB on the phone, he don't have a lot of contacts, family and close friends. I will buy the phone as a gift, so I don't want to spend a lot, but I would like to get something future proof for some years to come and with a medium/big screen.

Right now the contenders are:
-Moto G 2nd Gen Global edition (I don't know anything of the moto e)
-Samsung Grand Prime Dual sim (is cheaper than the single sim)
-Moto X (1st Gen) (this is outdated but sees to have similar specs)

The budget I have is around 150-200 usdlls

Thanks!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Zf2. Best phone in the $200 price range

G2 is a good choice too but probably won't be seeing any more updates.

WP_290

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, The 5.5 screen of the zf2 seems to be alittle too much. I think the moto g is wining the contest, at least for now. any other comment?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The Moto G is still a good option, inexpensive, good performance, great battery life and there's a big chance that it will update to Android M. After more than a year and a half I'm still using my 2013 and I haven't got any serious complain so far.

c-dee

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
An inexpensive (I avoid the word 'cheap') and low-mid spec Android such as Huawei...Although Huawei do make premium ones too

WP_290

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
sorry last minute change, budget is a little bit higher because now I want to give away to that person my moto x 2013, and buy something slightly better for me. Any suggestion? I really like the zf2 buuut is too big for my pockets! Any other good offer? I dont need flagship stuff. I am looking to the moto x 2014, probably will be cheaper after they announce the 2015 version?

What about samsung, something good (better than my moto x 2013) on the $220-$300 range ?

Thanks

Thanks!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You can get a 2nd Gen Moto X for $300...... but if you don't want to go that high, get a Moto G. For 5" phones in that price range, that might be your best all around bet. I'd also say go look at a Nexus 5, at nearly two years old, it might be getting a little long in the tooth, update wise.... The upcoming Android M release might be its last major update (of course, it might be the last update for the second gen Moto G for that matter). But in terms of performance, you'd have to go with a current flagship to beat it overall.

WP_290

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Leo Rex, The moto X sounds sweet, althought I am outside the US and it is a little more expensive here. But today Moto have some kind of events, hopefully they will announce the new successor and hopefully a discount on the 2014 version haha.

Thanks!

trsbbs

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I know you don't list it but IPhone is what I would recommend. Easy, stable and simple to use.

Via my HTC One M9...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar