Oops: Android contains directly copied Java code, strengthening Oracle's case

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
QUOTE: " at least 43 Android source files that appear to have been directly copied from Java. That's a big deal, seeing as Oracle is currently suing Google for patent and copyright infringement in Android -- which isn't a hard case to prove when you've got 37 Android source files marked "PROPRIETARY / CONFIDENTIAL" and "DO NOT DISTRIBUTE" by Oracle / Sun and at least six more files in Froyo and Gingerbread that appear to have been decompiled from Java 2 Standard Edition and redistributed under the Apache open source license without permission. In simple terms? Google copied Oracle's Java code, pasted in a new license, and shipped it."

Oops: Android contains directly copied Java code, strengthening Oracle's case -- Engadget

eric6052

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
It may be time for Google to open up their thick wallet and pay up unless they are trying to make a point of some kind by letting this go to trial. Im not sure what that might be but im not a lawyer or a programmer.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, what they basically did (if true, def seems to be true but who knows) is the equivalent of taking an article as ya own.. I had a feeling that they copied some things but not to this extent.. Def seems to be a big F off from Google if true...

Edit: Glad was proven not true. Still I am sure we will hear more of this, as this is not the first and I doubt the last time we will be hearing about this especially with all the patent suits flying back and forth..

Last edited:

eric6052

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Glad to see this was more crappy reporting on Engadget. Hopefully thus lawsuit along with the other million in the tech industry gets settled soon.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
"The objections in short: the files in question are test files, aren't important, probably don't ship with Android, and everyone is making a hullabaloo over nothing." From Engadget

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34