01-24-2011 10:25 PM
34 12
tools
    I believe it's the screen that eats battery the most.
    Nope, android system uses the most because that's the power the apps use.

Plus if you use your phone normally its always the highest juice user.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    01-22-2011 12:42 PM
    And second thought I don't care I'll carry a spare a mini charger and I'll be set what's nice is I can swap battery s not like a certain phone.

Sent from DroidX running DarkSlide4.2
    01-22-2011 12:56 PM
    Some day in the future, worrying about battery life will become a non-entity. How farvaway do you think it is, till we have a normal-sized cell phone that can be used for say...ten hours straight [media, not talk-time]?
    What sort of technology do you think, will bridge this gap?
    And what version of android do you think it will run?
    I'm hoping we get there by 5.0, but that may be setting the bar a bit high.
    Can't wait for that android "taragon" update!
    01-22-2011 08:51 PM
    I think that it is a myth that the dual core processors will actually "save" battery life at least running with Android in it's current state. I have a very hard time believing that Moto and ATT would spend extra money putting a larger battery in the Atrix just for the hell of it. I am willing to bet that in testing they found that with Android 2.2 (and 2.3 if it was tested) that they found they couldn't get through a day and needed to up the battery to avoid a lot of complaints and returns. I know that dual (and quad) actually does lighten the load on the processor and should save battery life and I am sure over time it will (hopefully with Honeycomb since it was rumored to be built with Dual Core Tegra 2 in mind). I may be wrong, but I doubt that two companies out to squeeze every dime out of consumers would go put the largest battery currently in a device just for the hell of it. That costs money and, well, that just goes against everything OEMs and Wireless companies are trying to do. Go back and look at the Nexus One great hardware (even still) and way ahead of it's time, yet had horrible screen technology. This wasn't because Google and HTC got together and decided to **** people off it was because they had to to save money. Look at Samsung's Gal S line great screens 4" Super AMOLED screen and 1 Ghz Hummingbird yet horrible GPS. Something always has to give because one thing is for sure they will make a certain profit off of a device. The reason I say this is that they wouldn't add a 1950mah battery just because. Something in testing made them do this, at least in my opinion. But hey, maybe it will spark competition and others will start to include them to compete and we all win.
    Your right they did add that big battery because the ddr ram consumes more power thatn the flash ram that other phones use.
    I believe that Dual Cores will greatly reduce power consumtion, but only after the software that optimises both is released, period. Only one of the two cores will do the work so one core will stress and consume the same amount of power that any other single core of that architecture and voltage, as well as other factors like custom manufactures skins type of screen quality of radios and type of batteries used. I for one would like to see the switch to Li-po from Li-ion, seems to me they are more efficient. I have no scientific data on that but from a buddys point of view with the Yphone, and use li-po's in my RC cars I like em.
    If anyone has any data either confirming or disputing my opinion on the LI-po batts please share.
    01-24-2011 10:45 AM
    I can't wait for the Bionic to drop. Motorola has ALWAYS made devices with a good battery life. I think other carriers jumped to fast 4g this and that, whatever. I think the tech is there, and the low voltage of the increased bus speed will make the bionic last 2 or three days. LTE will drain the battery, but at almost 2000Mah? Should be fine. DDR2 SCRAM does NOT consume more power. Where do people educate themselves on chip architecture? Duel cores also run more EFFICIENTLY. I love how everyone not getting this device is going to slam it before it gets here ha ha. I may not get it either, but spec-wise, it will hold up fine throughout the day
    01-24-2011 10:51 AM
    OK. Here's some answers to a lot of what you're talking about: everyone here is correct, to a certain degree. Like I how I did that?

Seriously, though. Dual-core is actually more about battery savings than performance. Let's look at it this way: Say it takes you Galaxy S phone 30 seconds running at 1Ghz to load and process a web page. With a dual core, both cores can share the load resulting in two CPU's running at 600Mhz for say 18 seconds. Two CPU's can run at a lower clock speed (uses significantly less juice) for a shorter amount of time.

That said, you won't see that happen yet. Current versions of Android, including gingerbread 2.3, do *not* support SMP (Symmetric Multi-Processing). That doesn't mean the 2nd core is *completely* useless, but it's not going to be doing much.

Honeycomb (3.0) is supposed to be the first release of Android to have built-in support for SMP. Once we get Honeycomb on these devices we should start seeing about 20-30% improvements in battery. Is that enough to matter?

Well... current battery life does depend greatly on a large number of factor. As to the argument over what drains the most juice, it greatly depends on phone setup. High screen brightness vs frequent updates of internet feeds vs playing games/lots of widgets (especially badly written ones) will all affect what you see as the biggest drain of power.

If you have serious battery drain issues, I suggest looking up System Panel in the market. The paid version (a whopping $3) will allow you to trace power consumption on a per-application basis so that you can see which apps are draining the most power. It will plot of all this on a graph and allow you to track applications which are draining battery when they shouldn't be.
    01-24-2011 11:37 AM
    I can't wait for the Bionic to drop. Motorola has ALWAYS made devices with a good battery life. I think other carriers jumped to fast 4g this and that, whatever. I think the tech is there, and the low voltage of the increased bus speed will make the bionic last 2 or three days. LTE will drain the battery, but at almost 2000Mah? Should be fine. DDR2 SCRAM does NOT consume more power. Where do people educate themselves on chip architecture? Duel cores also run more EFFICIENTLY. I love how everyone not getting this device is going to slam it before it gets here ha ha. I may not get it either, but spec-wise, it will hold up fine throughout the day
    I have read several sources but cant find any with required voltages for emmc I do know that for volitile memory such as ddr2 SDRAM the power needs to be constantly on during use, where as flash memory is surges as needed to meet the demand of the system using the Ram. Dual cores do run more efficently than than singles, but when the dual core runs one at a time the efficientcy is defintely hindered.
    01-24-2011 02:01 PM
    Dual-core vs. Your Battery Life
    answer : Dual-core will increase battery life, only when it has a software that supports symmetric multi-processing. Android OS 2.1/ 2.2/ 2.3 does not offer SMP only 3.0 Honeycomb supports that till then a Dual core processor is nothing more than a tag-team processor that does all the work one core at a time.
    01-24-2011 02:17 PM
    the Viewsonic tablet has a Tegra 2 and it has great battery life. Comparable to the Ipad but I guess it also has a huge battery
    01-24-2011 10:25 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD