As I wonder how many times I can decline before my Droid Turbo installs Lollipop anyway, I see an issue bigger than whether I want this upgrade just now. Why is Verizon in control of my phone? Once upon a time this made some sense. But cell phones today are basically computers, and carriers are basically ISPs. Would you let your ISP control what happens on your laptop? No way! They're just providing connectivity. You don't even want to install the bloatware they give you, it's a mess. The point being: you don't have to, just get your userID etc for your router.

So why should I put up with forced upgrades? Or being told I can't disable or remove certain apps? Why is Android still set up to even allow this outdated foolishness, and when will users demand that it stop? (Yes, I've heard of rooting, but it has its limits and risks, and the issue shouldn't even arise)
    08-10-2015 04:25 PM
    Sadly that is just how Verizon does their updates. They force them through eventually.
    08-10-2015 04:32 PM
    While this does not explain the bloatware, firmware updates often include security fixes/enhancements/features that make your phone more safe and make Verizon's network more safe from your phone. Google currently has no rules against an OEM or Carrier installing bloatware, they probably cannot make that rule and remain open sourced... however they are including tools to make it easier to uninstall and/or disable any apps that you do not want. Verizon retains some limited control over devices on its network in regards to network security, data collection and disposition requirements and as necessary for appropriate billing controls as they are regulated by the FCC and others.

Verizon is not really in the business of selling you devices, though that is some small part of the function that they fulfill - they are actually in the business of renting you access to their network. The device that you choose to use must meet requirements set by them and regulators in order to access that network. Does that mean they are required to provide you with Verizon Navigator? Nope, there is nothing mandated by any government stating that app must be there. But they do have a contract with other companies, such as the NFL, stating that they will put these apps on phones that they are going to allow to access their network with official Verizon approved software. If you bring your own device, there is a chance that you may not get the bloatware, etc - but you're also not getting any support from them if something isn't working the way that you feel it ought to. That's the direction that I believe many customers are going to continue to go - buy a Nexus or device from Moto, etc and put your Verizon SIM inside. With that method, you still have to follow their rules - but they have much less ability to influence your user experience on your Android device.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-10-2015 04:55 PM
    "however they are including tools to make it easier to uninstall and/or disable any apps that you do not want." -- What are you referring to?

Thanks, I agree this is the direction things seem to be moving in. (Carriers are getting out of subsidized phones now, so why buy one from them at all?) I'm just surprised and frustrated at how slowly it's happening.
    08-11-2015 04:01 PM
    "however they are including tools to make it easier to uninstall and/or disable any apps that you do not want." -- What are you referring to?
    Starting in L they began to set things up so bloatware would be in a separate partition of the device's storage and could be individually or wholesale dispositioned by the user without root access. M increases this flexibility and then brings in the ability to manage app permissions on a per app basis and possibly with rules, as well as enhancing the visibility of running and staged processes for those with developer options enabled. For non-verizon non-nexus phones that come with CarrierIQ for example, the concerned user will be able to quickly identify its existence and remove it at will.
    08-11-2015 04:12 PM
    Kind of an ironic problem though, considering the fragmentation of Android.
    08-11-2015 04:25 PM
    Depending on your phone, you can stop the forced updates. However, if you're already on Lollipop, it doesn't matter much. You can also disable a lot of currently installed apps or hide them from your app drawer. You can also "debloat" your phone to some degree without root.
    08-16-2015 10:36 PM
    The reason they do it is that maintaining a version of Android has a certain cost. Maintaining 2 versions costs more. If they had to maintain 4.4.2, 4.4.4, 5.0. 5.0.1, 5.0.2, 5.1 and 5.1.1 for the same phone, it would start to get very expensive. (Verizon - or any other carrier - wouldn't eat the expense. We would - in higher prices.)

Not that I like Lollipop. But I was sorry to see Gingerbread go too - I had a nicely set up phone under 2.2.3.
    08-17-2015 11:57 AM