Folks, with the major phone companies going to installments instead of contracts, people will have a phone linked to there account until the phone is paid off or traded in. What does this mean? It means they can sell that particular phone and buyer be able to use it only on that carrier. It cannot be unlocked. Furthermore, if the seller fails to make a payment on the installment, the phone will be blacklisted/inoperable. What it boils down to is this: if you are a buyer make sure you buy a phone that is not on an installment plan. It could end up with you getting burned!

Samsung Galaxy S6 - Black - 32GB
    ZAGG Tempered Glass
    AT&T
    08-15-2015 05:02 PM
    Another reason why buying unlocked phones is such a good idea. There are probably some carriers with better installment plans than others, though, in terms of flexibility--make sure to read the fine print!
    JoshDunc and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-15-2015 05:13 PM
    Another reason why buying unlocked phones is such a good idea. There are probably some carriers with better installment plans than others, though, in terms of flexibility--make sure to read the fine print!
    For sure! I talked to AT&T about this while changing my plan from 10GB to 15GB. They said a phone can be sold while on the Next plan but if an installment is missed the new owner will have an expensive paperweight! Unlocked is great though because it alleviates this issue!

Samsung Galaxy S6 - Black - 32GB
    ZAGG Tempered Glass
    AT&T
    B. Diddy likes this.
    08-15-2015 05:16 PM
    If you want a new phone you simply pay it off. You pay the same as if you bought it out right. I'm not concerned in the least.
    08-15-2015 07:29 PM
    For sure! I talked to AT&T about this while changing my plan from 10GB to 15GB. They said a phone can be sold while on the Next plan but if an installment is missed the new owner will have an expensive paperweight! Unlocked is great though because it alleviates this issue!
    Can you point me in the direction where you got this information... I talked to a AT&T rep a little while ago and was told phones on the Next plan cannot be sold while on contract to you...
    08-15-2015 08:15 PM