What is the MOST Important Feature in Your Next Phone?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Weekly poll: What feature is most important in your next phone? | Android Central

So far the rankings are thus:

2015-08-18.png

Camera is by far and the way most important, with Battery Life and Build Quality nearly tied for second most important. Is this true for you?

There's still time to vote (as of 8/19 00:00).

2015-08-18.png

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The camera on my next phone needs to be better than the camera on my current phone.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Funny, none of the most important things for me are included in the poll :) Battery life, dual SIM, value for money and the closest to stock android the better.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Something similar to my S6. The ONLY thing that could have made it better is a 2nd one! Lol

Samsung Galaxy S6 - Black - 32GB - AT&T
Mophie Juicepack
ZAGG Tempered Glass

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Screen size and quality. I rarely make calls or text and my phone is used mostly as a small tablet. A large clear screen is the first thing I look for.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Funny, none of the most important things for me are included in the poll

I know what you mean. The thing that popped into my head immediately was sound, as in much improved user controls for earpiece volume, mic volume, and speakerphone/stereo speaker adjustments. I don't think you should have to root and flash to be able fine tune the sound from something that's still categorized as a phone.

Given the options provided, though, I'd have to go with screen.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I do not remember what I voted for, but generally agree with the poll - camera, battery life and build quality are way ahead of the rest of the list for me.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
SQ and battery: I'm now very much a Moto man so no chance of a replaceable battery *grrr*

Build quality used to be VERY important to me, but now I'm hooked on a particular line of TPU case so not as important as it used to be when I solely used a vertical leather pouch case.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I vote 'None of the Above' and kind of agree with one of Javier's points... most important thing for me is the software experience. I mean, I pick up an S6 and yeah, the display might be a little bit nicer than the one on my Nexus 6. And the camera on my wife's G4 is awesome. But using either phone for a few minutes, I'm just not a really big fan of OEMs going in and reinventing the wheel and breaking Android like they do.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I vote 'None of the Above' and kind of agree with one of Javier's points... most important thing for me is the software experience. I mean, I pick up an S6 and yeah, the display might be a little bit nicer than the one on my Nexus 6. And the camera on my wife's G4 is awesome. But using either phone for a few minutes, I'm just not a really big fan of OEMs going in and reinventing the wheel and breaking Android like they do.

Software experience is one the reasons my next phone is going to be the third generation Moto X. With the first generation Moto X, Motorola fundamentally changed how I use a phone.

LED indicator? Nope. I love Moto Display.

I drive to work solo (at least an hour commute) and having the phone read my text messages to me is awesome.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Most important for me is removable battery. Being able to swap out a battery on the fly to get back to a full charge immediately is invaluable to me. It provides the freedom to use the phone as hard as I like, always untethered from a charging cable/source, as a spare battery can be at the ready again faster than I can drain the one in the phone. Rinse and repeat that cycle endlessly as wanted/needed.

Also, I never need to worry about managing the charge level of that one sealed/embedded battery hoping to maintain its longevity from prematurely losing its capacity, or worse having to deal with one that outright fails where the only recourse is to take the phone somewhere (or ship it to a service center) to have the battery replaced. Instead I can have multiple batteries (as many as I want) to spread out the wear and tear or just use and abuse them without worry as they can be easily replaced myself (at minimal cost). :)

I agree 100%. Not sure why this isn't a bigger factor. I purchased the LG G4 and didn't think I'd use the extra battery much but it's really become an outstanding feature of this device. I really hope these fragile sealed back phones don't make their way to all manufacturers. Just seems like it's a step in the wrong direction considering these live in portable state most of the time.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Updated as of 8/23/15 07:31:

2015-08-23.png

Not a lot of changes - battery life feel slightly behind build quality, camera increased its lead, microSD was passed by screen quality and removable battery fell even further behind.

From a hardware standpoint, this poll pretty much has it right - Camera, Build, Battery life and Screen Quality are by far and away going to remain the most important factors for most users, if not in that specific order - because these are the 4 things that become deal breakers on otherwise very respectable phones. Check all 4 of these boxes (as Moto says they're doing, LG and Samsung are doing) - and deliver a great software experience and this seems to be a recipe for success.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I voted 'Other' and put this in the comments:

Needs to make phone calls reliably. Smartphones are a lol of things, but they are still phones. My wife and I both make hundreds, probably thousands of calls per year each, mostly for business.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
All this stuff about camera and music makes no sense to me. If I want to take pictures I use a real camera. If I want music I use a dedicated Portable media player. I care more about software, sound quality on calls, ability to automate things, and a quality voice assistant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer