Here is a letter I wrote in response to a guy whining about ad blocking software at the Columbia school of Journalism review:

Dear Michael:

While I understand your point, I regularly ad block, since the ads are so annoying and in your face. The sites where I do not kill the ads are ones where I can ignore them if I wish such as this one: The Online Photographer his ads are not annoying banners, pop ups, malware, annoying music/videos, or screaming trash. This is how ads should be handled, and I keep coming to his site, and I sometimes click on the ads. But to have something completely block my view of the page, to flash on and off, and follow me to other sites just pisses me off.

I understand ads are important to make money. Just have them do it in a way that does not take control of my tablet, phone or computer. Annoying me is the best way to get me to NOT bother with your site or pay attention to the crud you are trying to sell me, so I block the annoying ads. I just wish Apple would allow ad killing software on the iPads, I would install it in a New York minute! This site tells me the best ad blockers for Android: 5 Best Ad blocker app for Android to block ads on android devices Yahoo is learning, by marking "sponsored" stuff exactly as that, not doing what media does best, lie. I go to Yahoo many times a day, and have their app on all my devices because of how they handle ads.

I sometimes even click on the sponsored stuff since it looks interesting, but it is MY CHOICE, to do so, I am not sucked into some media sponsored BS. Also most journalists are looked on a pretty much the social equals of child molesters is because they no longer have any objectivity, they have essentially become the propaganda arm of the DNC. Give me the facts, let me make MY mind up, we might even be close. While I realize that most of the media is not Rolling Stone, its not too far from it.

But, I digress from ad blocking, make it less intrusive, make it optional, and I think you will find fewer people block the ads. Also a fear is that too many ad servers are either malware, insecure, or infected, and so I don't want that stuff on my computer since identity theft is an ever present danger from those sorts of things. So until you get the ads out of my face, I shall continue to block them.

Sincerely,

Me
    Here is the link to his whine (add cheese)

The digital media industry needs to react to ad blockers ... or else - Columbia Journalism Review
    The digital media industry needs to react to ad blockers ... or else - Columbia Journalism Review

Slashdot has jumped in as well: Will Ad Blockers Kill the Digital Media Industry? - Slashdot
    Are smartphone makers going to start serving ads? -

So it looks like Android and others are going to start shoving ads down our throats whether we want them or not. I will use ad blocking software as long as they keep getting in my face. Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File I use this on my desktop and it works great under XP, Windows 7 and WIndows 10.

So what does everyone here think?
    08-22-2015 02:59 PM
    I was with you until the part where you compared journalists to child molesters.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk
    08-22-2015 03:33 PM
    Sorry about that, I have been on the receiving end of the media, where they could not even spell my last name right, and got everything else wrong in the story. The San Antonio press is especially bad about this.
    08-22-2015 05:22 PM