Size of high end Androids......they're all too big!

Griffspen

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I have used a Captivate for 5+ months and I live its power and beauty, but I just recently purchased an HTC Aria and that little guy is an amazing device! Its pocketability is a huge plus for me.

My concern is that all the new high end phones are 4+ inches and I think that people would be surprised by how much they would love a high end 3.2" Android device.

Thoughts?

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
When I went to the store to check out possibly switching from a BlackBerry Tour to an Android device, I was also concerned about the large size of the 4" screen sizes. Once I actually held it on my hands, the size felt perfect. The screen on my Galaxy S (Mesmerize) is great for reading, browsing, and other things. It easily fits in my pocket (although, like my BB, I am used to carrying it via holster) and is easy to use.

After a month of using my Mez, I picked up my Tour again. It felt so small in my hand, and the screen was so tiny. I sill use the Tour for some work things, but the size of the SGS with its 4" screen just works better for me.

I think it is more of a perception thing. You get used to what you have. Something with a different size just seems odd. Maybe one of these new >4" screens might feel to big at first. After using it fort a while, maybe the smaller screens will feel odd instead.

Icon

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
everybody has their opinion, and there is likely an option for that person regardless, that is the beauty of Android. My personal feeling is the bigger the better. I have the X now, and wouldn't be able to go to anything smaller. I think the screen on my friends Fascinate is to small...great phone, but to small for me.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I think you might be in the minority on this one. As they say "Size Matters", if you like your equipment small and are happy with it, then that is all that matters. Remember its how you use your equipment that matters, not size.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I think it also depends on how the device is designed. For example, the Evo and Droid X are the same size in terms of screen size. However for me, the Evo feels way too big because it's wider and feels slightly bulkier. If it's done right, a 4.3" or 4" device can be very comfortable in the hands.

Reactions: quikric

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I think it also depends on how the device is designed. For example, the Evo and Droid X are the same size in terms of screen size. However for me, the Evo feels way too big because it's wider and feels slightly bulkier. If it's done right, a 4.3" or 4" device can be very comfortable in the hands.

+1. I like the large screen. I can't see myself using anything smaller.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
When i had a pre and held a evo for the first time i thought it was much to big. Then i took the plunge and got an evo and after having it for a while realized it is the perfect size. i could never go any smaller now.

Evo-lution

Reactions: deltatko

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I have used a Captivate for 5+ months and I live its power and beauty, but I just recently purchased an HTC Aria and that little guy is an amazing device! Its pocketability is a huge plus for me.

My concern is that all the new high end phones are 4+ inches and I think that people would be surprised by how much they would love a high end 3.2" Android device.

Thoughts?

Nah, high end android phones are perfectly sized, with the exception of the droid x and that annoying little bump on the back of it. The phone should have been smooth, period!

The aria is a weak android device, small time!

Question, why would anyone want a smaller screened phone when using a multimedia device?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk!

GoneTomorrow

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Nah, high end android phones are perfectly sized, with the exception of the droid x and that annoying little bump on the back of it. The phone should have been smooth, period!

Question, why would anyone want a smaller screened phone when using a multimedia device?

Because not all of us like bulging jeans pockets or wearing those uber-geeky belt clips. My Shift disappears in my pocket, and the screen is plenty large enough for multimedia.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

The Aria is far from weak. I could do almost anything with my Aria that I can do with my Captivate. Not everyone needs a powerful multimedia device, and it all comes down to what you want to use your phone for.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
The Aria is far from weak. I could do almost anything with my Aria that I can do with my Captivate. Not everyone needs a powerful multimedia device, and it all comes down to what you want to use your phone for.

+1. Each phone has it's own draws for certain people, that's the power of Android.

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I had an Aria as well and loved it! I just had some trouble typing on it, but the thing was fast and worked great.

HKM

Banned
Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The OP obviously didn't do his home work as I am complaining there is lack of 4.3" decent Android phones.

CDMA = TB (CDMA's DHD), Evo (CDMA's attempt at HD2)
GSM = HD2 (yes it does support Android in SD/RAM/NAND), DHD

As I am on GSM the DHD does not support 3G in USA as its EU model. So what do I have? HD2? Some prick stole my so I am not buying another but man o man no other device ever created even equals the development of HD2 period.

As you can see there is lack of big 4.3" phones, don't give me that Samsung Galaxy BS phones they don't qualify I won't run those even if you give me free, specially Vibrant.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The transition from smaller screens to larger ones... are on the rise. Most people after using a larger screen admit that they wouldn't want anything smaller again.

I'm included in that majority - from a 3.2" screen to a 4.3" screen I'd say this is where the fun begins.

The pros of a larger screen outweighs a smaller one at any given time.

HKM

Banned
Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who says they think 4.3" is to big obviously haven't tried it and for those who has they know its the perfect size, regardless of the all BS not fitting in pants pocket. I mean unless you are wearing lather pants or something then putting phone is last of your worries lol Browsing, watching device specific HQ videos, other things has its place with 4.3" real state.

SSY2.png

^ everything I wanted to display on the screen in single home screen, on Android I can't even get it to display this in 5 screens LOL I hope they make DHD-EU model but at this point it makes no diff as I am going dual core...

Griffspen

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
It could just be an overcompensation thing for some people....I'm not sure. I know for me, that a small phone is perfect. 3.5" screen would probably be perfect and I'm just afraid that 1 year from now there will be nothing under 4" except for low-mid range devices.

At the very least, having a small second phone can come in really handy when having a 4+" phone is just not very convenient. Again, maybe this is just for active people like myself who like to get out of the house......

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
As you can see there is lack of big 4.3" phones, don't give me that Samsung Galaxy BS phones they don't qualify I won't run those even if you give me free, specially Vibrant.

Your opinion of a phone doesn't disqualify the phone. I think the OP's point was that there are a bunch of 4+ inch phones coming out and very few under 4 inches that are high end.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
It could just be an overcompensation thing for some people....I'm not sure. I know for me, that a small phone is perfect. 3.5" screen would probably be perfect and I'm just afraid that 1 year from now there will be nothing under 4" except for low-mid range devices.

At the very least, having a small second phone can come in really handy when having a 4+" phone is just not very convenient. Again, maybe this is just for active people like myself who like to get out of the house......

I would love to have a Dell Streak and an Aria, and use whatever I felt like. But, since I'm poor lol, I have to split the difference, and the 4 inch form factor works for me.