For All Us QuickPic Lovers, Bad News....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
attachment.php

Attachments

• darthvadernooo.jpg
    darthvadernooo.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 356

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I knew it was too good to be true. This is what happens when a app that was free becomes popular then is bought by a horrible company and the app turns to garbage.

Any other free alternatives. This sucks. I use this app everyday.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
QuickPic sold to Cheetah Mobile

Just so QuickPic users know, be aware that this fine app that so many of us have relied on for years has been sold to Cheetah Mobile. No doubt they will soon do Bad Things with it, more about that below.

So unfortunately, I must recommend that you uninstall QuikPic and use an alternative app. I am using Google Photos for now. I'll be checking out others and post information on any that seem worthy of serious consideration.

For anyone who hasn't heard, Cheetah Mobile is a company responsible for software notorious for putting up nag ads and scary-sounding false alarms about various supposed threats to your security. Worse than that, they collect, upload and sell your information to others without your knowledge, to be used for targeted ads and who knows what else. To refresh memories further about Cheetah Mobile...here's a post I wrote about an article where the Cheetah Moble CMO says CM is a "data company" and the 'M' in CM stands for monetization. That's not good. He means turning your stolen data into their money. With a link to the original article.

WARNING! He says much more and much worse than that in the linked article. It really is a pretty scary read if you use any Cheetah Mobile software!

http://androidforums.com/threads/cache-cleaner.923369/#post-7001396

Cheetah Mobile software should be considered to be malware.

Cheetah Mobile apps Include all the 'CM' series of apps such as CM Security, plus Cleaner Master and more. Before installing any app, check the permissions and who is the vendor.

And don't let happy talk by Cheetah fool you. What Cheetah Mobile will do with QuickPic is what they do with their other software. They'll give it some 'improvements' to 'enhance the user experience' which is code for we'll add a couple of little things to make you think we're good guys. But the real 'improvements' will be adding code to scarf your information to be uploaded to CM and sold off for doing targeted ads and whatnot.

The double-speak has already started. In another post I predicted: "They'll give it some 'improvements' to 'enhance the user experience' which is code for we'll add a couple of little things to make you think we're good guys."

In their response to a review critical of the company on Google Play, they answered the bad review with: "...good experience that users expect...we will add some valuable functions for FREE."

Close enough.

Last edited:

sata

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Just in case, its best to keep that current version's APK file, in case you accidentally upgrade.

But yea you shouldn't uninstall unless you accidentally upgrade, just keep using the current version.

In newer to come out smartphones, you can just install this current version (if will work on newer OS: 6, 7 etc)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to download that APK.

Seriously, screw Cheetah Mobile. From CM Browser to the PoS that is Clean Master, they are pretty much the bane of Android.

Even worse still is that Samsung is partnering with them.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
that's bad news loved the app but a few weeks ago I've switched to F-Stop but always kept quick pic thanks to a SD card all my apks are safely stored and thanks to TBP the data is too.

I dislike CM a lot the only thing I'm using is the browser with very limited granted permissions...that being said if somebody knows a lightweight alternative with the same feature set I would be switch asap

BriniaSona

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: QuickPic sold to Cheetah Mobile

I used it for Manga, shame, it was the closest to the BB10 photo viewer app I loved. Anyone recommend anything else that isn't Cloud based. Because any non BlackBerry based Cloud is just a red flag to me.

EDIT: An app that lets me choose where to search for folders is best. HTC's stock app just pulls everything in and it fills my picture app with song covers, screenshots, camera stuff and all this crap I dont need. I liked QuickPic because I could choose my Manga folder and label it by Name and be done with anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC