02-13-2016 09:20 PM
58 123
tools
    I just got this update today, I don't like it. Being forced to scroll vertically through your entire list of apps is very annoying compared to the old quick flick left/right. Also searching for an app by typing for it is slow and cumbersome, something straight out of a desktop OS, UGH. This isn't Windows, this is Android, I don't want to type to search for something on my PHONE it should be quick and easy to find.

New Marshmallow App Drawer is TERRIBLE-screenshot_2015-09-25-13-59-17.jpg
    09-25-2015 03:22 PM
    I greatly prefer the vertical scroll. If you have too many apps, grabbing the scroll bar on the right will let you browse faster, so you might want to try that. I'm not a fan of app search either, but you don't have to use it.
    09-25-2015 03:40 PM
    Between the 4 frequently used on top and the recent apps interface getting to the most common stuff is pretty easy. Another commonly used tactic is to have folders on the home screen(s) with organized groupings of apps to get quick access. Interestingly enough, the apps are still alphabetical, so the default organization is identical - just a change of direction where additional content is found. This brings the app drawer in line with the rest of the web, where additional content is usually below, as opposed to swiping to another page of content. My instinct is that once you do this for a short time it will feel more natural. But if you don't like it, Nova Launcher and other custom launchers still offer different ways to customize your app drawer.
    09-25-2015 03:48 PM
    You can also turn off the suggested apps at the top from your Google settings.
    09-25-2015 04:41 PM
    Oh many thanks. I didn't know that. That makes it much more bearable. I still am not sure I like the vertical scroll but at least the search function is gone now.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-25-2015 08:29 PM
    I just got this update today, I don't like it. Being forced to scroll vertically through your entire list of apps is very annoying compared to the old quick flick left/right. Also searching for an app by typing for it is slow and cumbersome, something straight out of a desktop OS, UGH. This isn't Windows, this is Android, I don't want to type to search for something on my PHONE it should be quick and easy to find.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-09-25-13-59-17.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	198450
    It was this latest change that led to me going back to Nova. Hated the vertical app draw.

Geodude074 and vtpmt81 like this.
    09-25-2015 10:37 PM
    I greatly prefer the vertical scroll. If you have too many apps, grabbing the scroll bar on the right will let you browse faster, so you might want to try that. I'm not a fan of app search either, but you don't have to use it.
    Call me extremely nit-picky about user experience, but putting a scroll bar on the right does not make things more user friendly. If I don't grab these EXACT pixels with my thumb I can't scroll quickly:

New Marshmallow App Drawer is TERRIBLE-1.png

If anything this makes this even more like a desktop OS - scrollbars on a phone? It's not a good idea.

I'm a firm believer of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". The old app drawer was quick and efficient, even with 100+ apps a few quick flicks left/right from anywhere on the screen allowed you to quickly browse all your apps. Now we're being forced to vertically scroll or ENTER A SEARCH to find the app we want. UGH.

Finding a third party launcher is a fix, but I like vanilla Android's skin and not putting anything third party on top of it. Shame... feels like we're going back to Gingerbread days when third party apps fixed all of Android's shortcomings.
    09-26-2015 01:15 AM
    My experience with Nova Launcher so far:

New Marshmallow App Drawer is TERRIBLE-screenshot_2015-09-26-00-21-58.jpg

This is why I avoid third party skins. This is also why I bought my phone - a Moto X - because it's vanilla Android.
    09-26-2015 01:34 AM
    Between the 4 frequently used on top and the recent apps interface getting to the most common stuff is pretty easy. Another commonly used tactic is to have folders on the home screen(s) with organized groupings of apps to get quick access. Interestingly enough, the apps are still alphabetical, so the default organization is identical - just a change of direction where additional content is found. This brings the app drawer in line with the rest of the web, where additional content is usually below, as opposed to swiping to another page of content. My instinct is that once you do this for a short time it will feel more natural. But if you don't like it, Nova Launcher and other custom launchers still offer different ways to customize your app drawer.
    Still not as quick or easy as the old app drawer, where all I needed to do was 2-3 flicks anywhere on the screen to find something.

It's not just that it's a vertical scroll now, but the fact that it's an endless scroll. Endless scrolls are good for long browsing sessions, but they SUCK when you want to quickly find something, because you'll be endlessly scrolling until you find it.
    09-26-2015 01:37 AM
    Well you're entitled to your opinion, but I find the vertical configuration more convenient and more visually appealing as well.
    09-26-2015 02:36 AM
    I preferred the old Android method, but at the same time I really like how Windows 10 Mobile does it (different from this) which is a vertical list with a search bar and you can quickly jump between letters at any time. It's very fast to jump straight to the letter you need, and All Apps is always just a single swipe from the Start Screen. How Android does it forces you to scroll, even if you're using the scroll bar to do it faster.
    But I mean, just my opinion. I like the horizontal swipes in Lollipop but I also like the vertical scroll in Windows 10 Mobile. This is the ugly child of both that you'd think would work but doesn't.
    anon(123856) likes this.
    09-26-2015 09:51 AM
    Call me extremely nit-picky about user experience, but putting a scroll bar on the right does not make things more user friendly. If I don't grab these EXACT pixels with my thumb I can't scroll quickly:
    I can swipe quickly and be at the bottom of the list in a second. Much faster than going page by page. However, I really don't care too much about what kind of app drawer is used, because I have a folder on my home screen with all of my frequently used apps. I don't use the app drawer very often. I don't understand why people get so upset about trivial things.
    09-26-2015 12:29 PM
    I greatly prefer the scroll method to find apps. One person's wine is another person's vinegar

Wm7Long and MikeCorsten like this.
    09-26-2015 12:44 PM
    I can swipe quickly and be at the bottom of the list in a second. Much faster than going page by page. However, I really don't care too much about what kind of app drawer is used, because I have a folder on my home screen with all of my frequently used apps. I don't use the app drawer very often. I don't understand why people get so upset about trivial things.
    Trivial to you isn't exactly trivial to someone else. It's still an integral part of the operating system. It's not like an emoticon was removed or changed.
    That being said, maybe it's time to mix things up. It's been the same horizontal pages since forever.
    09-26-2015 01:23 PM
    This is the kind of thing that gets people furious and threatening to move to Canada, them in 3 or 4 days you relearn the actions and never think about it again.
    belodion likes this.
    09-26-2015 01:44 PM
    App search can be tedious
    09-26-2015 01:59 PM
    This is the kind of thing that gets people furious and threatening to move to Canada, them in 3 or 4 days you relearn the actions and never think about it again.
    People are silly.
    09-26-2015 08:45 PM
    I prefer the new app... if only it had a dark theme.
    09-26-2015 09:54 PM
    This isn't Windows, this is Android
    You're right. Because for all the bad things Windows Phone has, at least the apps are separated alphabetically and if you click the letter it gives you a menu will all the letters of the alphabet so you can jump directly at least to the list of apps that start with that letter.

I honestly don't know what possessed Google to opt for such a dumb change but honestly...seeing the path Google is taking Android since 5.0.2 Lollipop, I'm starting to not be surprised. More and more I'm craving for OEMs to actually heavily skin the OS just to fix the mess Google is going. And that should never even be a craving anyone should have when using an OS.
    dkediger likes this.
    09-26-2015 10:00 PM
    For those of you who are saying you prefer the Windows method with the vertical list and the letters, I highly recommend Action Launcher. I've been using AL2 for the past year and just made the switch to AL3 last week. It's easily my favorite launcher and the fastest way to access apps.
    09-27-2015 12:15 PM
    My experience with Nova Launcher so far:
    I've never seen Nova crash. It's been responsive and stable on every phone I've installed it. You could try clearing your cached app data, but I suppose it's possible that you're using a widget or a wallpaper that's incompatible with Nova.
    09-27-2015 01:09 PM
    You're right. Because for all the bad things Windows Phone has, at least the apps are separated alphabetically and if you click the letter it gives you a menu will all the letters of the alphabet so you can jump directly at least to the list of apps that start with that letter.

I honestly don't know what possessed Google to opt for such a dumb change but honestly...seeing the path Google is taking Android since 5.0.2 Lollipop, I'm starting to not be surprised. More and more I'm craving for OEMs to actually heavily skin the OS just to fix the mess Google is going. And that should never even be a craving anyone should have when using an OS.
    I was happy for the design changes in Lollipop but I'm not seeing a whole lot of interesting stuff with Marshmallow. Just changes for the sake of change, it seems. Then there's Windows 10 Mobile on the other side which is actually looking really great even if still incomplete.
    Windows Phone 8.1 was a real solid operating system and it did have a lot of beautiful charm, but I agree there were some massive holes there.
    09-27-2015 05:18 PM
    I've never seen Nova crash. It's been responsive and stable on every phone I've installed it. You could try clearing your cached app data, but I suppose it's possible that you're using a widget or a wallpaper that's incompatible with Nova.
    Nova is really solid for me as well. I don't ever feel the need to switch around with it. Although I admit being able to change the colors of the folders and such wasn't as satisfying as I thought it would. White works, I guess (I did make it more transparent though).
    09-27-2015 05:19 PM
    Why canada ?

Btw, can Android M set location sharing per apps now ?

Posted via the Android Central App #Galnote5
    09-27-2015 06:04 PM
    I honestly don't know what possessed Google to opt for such a dumb change...
    Because they felt it was a better method? And I happen to agree with them. It's now a single scrollable list that can be navigated with fewer steps. With the addition of the quick and online search, the functionality of the drawer has increased.

It's been in the M Preview since build 2, and its one of the reasons I haven't gone back to 5.1.1. It is easier to find an app, no matter what method you use. You might not like it, but that neither makes it dumb nor the wrong choice.
    09-27-2015 06:06 PM
58 123