Google Apple duopoly: no end in sight

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I like competition but there's just something wrong with MS and BB at the institutional level. Neither of them get mobile. BB has "redefined' themselves so many times I've lost count and each attempt was a total flop. Their most recent attempt was to just throw their hands in the air and make an android phone with a physical keyboard.
MS's recent answer is to tether your phone circa 2011 to PC peripherals and use it as a PC and call it Continuum. How is this 'getting' mobile? Like BB, this is also the latest in a long line of do-overs from previous failures.
From a community standpoint, nobody here even acknowledges they exist. Conversely, people on WP or BB sites talk more about Apple and Google than their own devices. This leads me to believe there's simply not enough room in the mobile landscape for a 3rd player let alone 4.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Um, yeah and it's barely even two. 4:1 Android to Apple and 6:1 Apple to everything else. Two years ago I used to see Windows phones in the hands of some of the people that work for me, approximately the same frequency as flip phones. Now everyone has Moto, Samsung or Apple.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I think the main problem is that both BlackBerry and Microsoft rested on their laurels and focused too much on enterprise, while neglecting consumers. Their former CEOs laughed at the idea that consumers would use smartphones. Meanwhile, the consumers opened their wallets to iOS and Android. By the time management at BlackBerry and Microsoft realized what was happening, the market moved on, and new products from BlackBerry and Microsoft were too little and too late to attract consumers.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I always wondered if they completely subsidized popular apps developers, and provide bonuses for each time they updated apps, that things would have been different?

In any event, life goes on. I don't see to many people whining about how BetaMax was better than VHS. WP8/10 and BB10 are near death as long as they continue to loose market share in the US.

Posted via the Android Central App on my BlackBerry Passport

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I always wondered if they completely subsidized popular apps developers, and provide bonuses for each time they updated apps, that things would have been different?

In any event, life goes on. I don't see to many people whining about how BetaMax was better than VHS. WP8/10 and BB10 are near death as long as they continue to loose market share in the US.

Posted via the Android Central App on my BlackBerry Passport
Realistically, that wouldn't be possible. There are always some new apps that become popular on Android and iOS, and BlackBerry and Microsoft would never be able to keep up with the payments to entice those developers. Also, many of the missing apps aren't social media and games, but rather apps from commercial businesses. They really couldn't pay Starbucks, all the banks, Target, Walmart, etc. to make and maintain apps.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800