06-02-2016 07:24 PM
47 12
tools
    Let's say I am an average user without a lot of knowledge about Android, use a flagship Android phone today, don't pay much attention to clear buffers or uninstall unused apps.

Does Android still slow down after a few months and starts to lag to stutter?

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Goze18 likes this.
    10-04-2015 08:45 AM
    In my experience, there are still slow downs and glitches, however my 6sp was much worse, even after only a few days usage. I am a very heavy user though. For the most part any current high end Android should run smooth.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    10-04-2015 08:51 AM
    I had a One M8 for about 10 months, and it never lagged; and the Nexus 6 I traded up to remains lag free 3 months in.

Oddly enough, though, my 2014 iPad Air has become a laggy PITA ever since the iOS 9 update, even with all of the Siri-related settings turned off.
    10-04-2015 09:08 AM
    My Note 5 lags and redraws all the time when swiping between home screens. Scrolling in YouTube also lags a lot so, yes, it still lags today.
    10-04-2015 01:24 PM
    My $299 Nexus 4 from 2012 completely outperforms my $450 Classic from 2014. Does that answer your question?

ASUS ZenFone 2 (4GB RAM)
    10-04-2015 01:31 PM
    I've been using a 2013 Moto X and a 2013 Nexus 7 for 8 months now, and I haven't experienced lag on either device.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-04-2015 01:31 PM
    Thanks for all the reply. It sounds like the lag isn't much a problem anymore

10-05-2015 12:14 AM
    I just to use Xperia Z model 2013y with no lag and now im using samsung galaxy s4mini duos with no lag so i think android become O.S without lag since about 2011-2012.
    10-05-2015 12:53 AM
    I've got a Note 4 and Galaxy S5 and both started lagging after few month of usage, but that could be due to the amount of apps I have installed.
    10-06-2015 03:36 AM
    Thanks for all the reply. It sounds like the lag isn't much a problem anymore

It very much depends on which phone you get. Saying does Android lag, is too generic. Some phones are buttery smooth and some are lag fests. Depends on manufacturer and skin and whatever they've put in to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Damngeeky likes this.
    10-06-2015 07:09 AM
    It very much depends on which phone you get. Saying does Android lag, is too generic. Some phones are buttery smooth and some are lag fests. Depends on manufacturer and skin and whatever they've put in to it.

Yeah, that's why I defined it in the OP that, it's the flagship phones today we are talking about: Note 5, LG G4, SGS6, Moto X, HTC One M9... assuming stock OS and skin, used by an average user.

I know this is still a huge range. But the reason I am asking this is, I heard Android OS (5.1?) has improved significantly on the lag problem and the UI performance is very smooth now even AFTER months of use.... but there are still tons of users saying that Android still lags after a while. Then there are people saying that those poor experience are mostly from an mid to low range phones, or a dated OS...

I am considering BlackBerry Priv, the main concern about this is the alleged lag problem from Android. I know Priv's specs are going to match those flagship Android phones, and it will use the latest Android OS, so I just want to get an idea from Android users who used today 's flagship phones about this lag issue.

10-07-2015 09:36 AM
    I'm experiencing only occasional lag on my Note 4 after about 6 months. So I guess it depends on not only the device in question, but also on how well the user maintains said device, what version of Android they're running, and other factors.

Posted from the one and only Note 4
    10-07-2015 05:27 PM
    Yes it does. My grandparents had a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 4 and only used it for Skype. The thing is atrociously slow sometimes. I've tried resetting it to no avail.
    10-07-2015 08:59 PM
    Android still does lag. Every OS Does. But In my experience, Android only lags with multiple apps open or several games.
    10-08-2015 07:54 AM
    My two year old Nexus 5 is butter smooth now with 5.1.1 compared to one year ago with 5.0. So according to my experience, Android phones get less laggy over time.
    10-08-2015 09:50 AM
    I had a Samsung Galaxy S3 for about 2 years and it was always laggy and felt really sluggish. I switched to Blackberry and picked up a Z30 and BB10 was so smooth compared to Android on the S3. However now with the Blackberry Slider coming out in a couple weeks I wanna buy it. However its running Android and my concern is that Android will still be the laggy OS I remember from my Galaxy S3. I love everything about the Blackberry Priv but Im worried about Android letting me down again. Should I still be concerned about Android? Or is that lag/slowness a thing of the past on these newer better spec'd phones and newer OS versions?
    10-10-2015 09:42 PM
    Since you seem to be unsure, why don't you just wait a little longer and see how the user reaction is after the Priv has been released. There could be major flaws in the design or bugs in the software which you won't know about until people actually used it for a while.

It wouldn't help you really if I were to tell you that I have absolutely no lag on my Galaxy Note 4 since you're eying with a complete different device.
    10-10-2015 09:51 PM
    Depends on the device and software. My international S3 and G2 didn't have lag issues after I rooted and flashed custom ROMs.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk
    10-10-2015 10:00 PM
    Since you seem to be unsure, why don't you just wait a little longer and see how the user reaction is after the Priv has been released. There could be major flaws in the design or bugs in the software which you won't know about until people actually used it for a while.

It wouldn't help you really if I were to tell you that I have absolutely no lag on my Galaxy Note 4 since you're eying with a complete different device.
    Yep, won't jump in on this one for sure. Just trying to get an idea about the progress of Android. I did use SGS3 a little bit two summers ago and it was pretty laggy. But that was probably 2-3 generations ago for Android and 3 generations of hardware before.

If Note 4 runs lag free with stock OS, without rooting or special treatment, that would be a good sign, because Priv will be at least one generation ahead of Note 4 in terms of hardware and one generation of Android ahead too, with one variable: BlackBerry 's tweak of Android, either the HUB integration or security tweaks.

10-11-2015 12:11 AM
    It depends but, unfortunately, most Android devices slow down after months of use. Less than in past but still.
    10-11-2015 04:38 AM
    Yeah, that's why I defined it in the OP that, it's the flagship phones today we are talking about: Note 5, LG G4, SGS6, Moto X, HTC One M9... assuming stock OS and skin, used by an average user.

I know this is still a huge range. But the reason I am asking this is, I heard Android OS (5.1?) has improved significantly on the lag problem and the UI performance is very smooth now even AFTER months of use.... but there are still tons of users saying that Android still lags after a while. Then there are people saying that those poor experience are mostly from an mid to low range phones, or a dated OS...

I am considering BlackBerry Priv, the main concern about this is the alleged lag problem from Android. I know Priv's specs are going to match those flagship Android phones, and it will use the latest Android OS, so I just want to get an idea from Android users who used today 's flagship phones about this lag issue.

Yeah I'm talking flagships too. I use them all and it still is, like you said, a big range. My nexus 5 never really lagged nor did my note 5 but my note 4 did. My lg G3 did. My galaxy s6 did towards the end. My Moto g didn't and that's not a flagship. I think it will definitely be a wait and see how well blackberry optimized everything.

10-11-2015 07:51 AM
    Every phone, computer, os, has lag. Just depends on how much. Our often

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-11-2015 07:53 AM
    Yeah I'm talking flagships too. I use them all and it still is, like you said, a big range. My nexus 5 never really lagged nor did my note 5 but my note 4 did. My lg G3 did. My galaxy s6 did towards the end. My Moto g didn't and that's not a flagship. I think it will definitely be a wait and see how well blackberry optimized everything.

Thanks for the reply. Will wait out on this one then.

10-11-2015 08:37 AM
    If you define lag as I do - a lag time delay between initiating an action and that action occurring, not to be confused with animation times - I don't see much of that anymore. But occasional stutters, yes I still get those on pretty much any device. Not enough to care about but they do happen. I dislike the term "buttery smooth" because it implies absolute perfection, which I find misleading because that doesn't exist on any OS.
    bnice likes this.
    10-11-2015 09:30 AM
    Saw this today and wanted to share http://flip.it/jOGhh

10-11-2015 07:09 PM
47 12