06-29-2016 01:51 PM
89 1234
tools
    well i am using avast antivirus on my phone.... it works really great you should also use it
    02-13-2016 03:26 AM
    NOTE: For anyone who cares, I did some heavy editing to my post #23 in this thread which lists apps and vendors whose apps should be considered to be malware. Made some additions, did some rewriting, etc. If such things concern you, you might want to check out the post and some of the links in it.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    Not sure I understand, I have CM Browser ever since I've had the G4 (since early summer) and it's been flawless.
    02-18-2016 08:32 PM
    These links will explain about CM products. Consider yourself lucky not to be subjected to obnoxious popups etc so far.

http://androidforums.com/threads/cac.../#post-7001396

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=4435166

This has links to other opinions about CM stuff.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=4957636

360 Security should be avoided for the same reasons as CM.

Again, please read my post #23 in this thread.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-18-2016 10:05 PM
    True, there's plenty of things to worry about in the Play store. Plenty of malware to go around. The problem is, antivirus apps do almost nothing to protect you from Play store malware.

Here's a list of just a few the vendors and apps which have serious enough problems that they should be considered malware. Not one of the apps listed will be detected as Bad News by any antivirus app. Some are truly horrible. Any software from these companies should be considered to be malware. They may have serious privacy concerns such data-mining and sending your data to servers in China or elsewhere for who knows who to do who knows what with it. They may throw up nag ads or scary-sounding bogus warnings urging you to buy more software or else Bad Things will happen in order to get you to buy and install more of their malware. They may simply be ineffective or worse. Or they may be all of these things. But for some good reasons they are all crapware to be avoided like the plague or they would not have made this list.

Bad Vendors:
    Cheetah Mobile (All the CM stuff, QuickPic and more)
    DU Apps (DU Battery Saver, DU Speed Booster, others)
    Baidu (Baidu Browser, Photo Wonder, others. Baidu owns DU Apps.)
    Go Development Team (All GO apps)
    360 Mobile Security
    Apus Group

Bad Apps:
    All CM apps including:
    Clean Master
    CM Security
    CM Speed Booster
    CM Keyboard
    CM Flashlight
    CM Backup
    Battery Doctor
    QuickPic (recently bought by CM/Baidu)
    Photo Grid
    Snap Share
    File Manager
    File Manager HD
    File Manager Pro (there are legitimate apps also called File Manager)
    ...and more

All Baidu/DU Apps including:
    Baidu Browser
    Photo Wonder
    DU Launcher
    DU Battery Saver
    DU speed Booster
    DU Privacy Vault
    ...and many more

All Apus Group apps including:
    Apus Launcher
    Apus Browser
    Apus Booster+
    Apus Message Center
    ...and more.

Misc bad apps:
    Cleaner Master (not the same as Clean Master)
    360 Mobile Seurity
    KK Browser
    Boat Browser
    UC Browser
    Dolphin Browser
    Maxthon Browser
    ...and many, many more.

ES File Explorer: See: this about ES File Explorer security concerns:
    http://androidforums.com/threads/es-.../#post-6941798
    ...and
    http://androidforums.com/threads/pro...-2#post-690973

Also, not malware, but email apps with privacy concerns: (and some without).
    See: http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7051405

Sooo...what is antivirus protecting us from? I've used Android since v1.0 and never seen antivirus stop a single legitimate threat. But it IS good at using a lack of knowledge, fear and paranoia to turn your money into theirs.
    Wow!,
    If that's true that all of those apps are garbage/malware etc. better off w/o them. Thanks for posting.

Steve
    Crashdamage likes this.
    02-29-2016 10:10 AM
    That's only a partial list. Only the stuff I or others have had the time to research and verify. This list could be MUCH longer.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-01-2016 05:19 PM
    I never used antivirus. I have been using Android for almost 5 - 6 years and have never had any problems.
    03-03-2016 05:17 AM
    No.. There are apps like quicksecurity and 360.. Don't think it works.
    03-04-2016 03:45 AM
    I've always maintained the notion that if you stick to the Google Play store, your chances of getting malware-infected apps are slim. If you do want to take a drip to the dark side and side-load apps, then make sure that the source is credible. Don't just download APKs willy-nilly. Another thing you could try doing is scanning the APK file using multiple scanners (not just one website with multiple scanners, I mean, multiple websites). That way, you get a better idea of whether that application is safe.

Another thing to look out for in any context, whether the app comes from the Google Play Store or anywhere outside of it, is the permissions that it wants you to grant it. An alarm clock app should not have access to your phone, contacts or other files. If you're rooted, you can use apps to disable certain services from an app, if it looks fishy to you.
    03-04-2016 01:45 PM
    I've always maintained the notion that if you stick to the Google Play store, your chances of getting malware-infected apps are slim. If you do want to take a drip to the dark side and side-load apps, then make sure that the source is credible. Don't just download APKs willy-nilly. Another thing you could try doing is scanning the APK file using multiple scanners (not just one website with multiple scanners, I mean, multiple websites). That way, you get a better idea of whether that application is safe.

Another thing to look out for in any context, whether the app comes from the Google Play Store or anywhere outside of it, is the permissions that it wants you to grant it. An alarm clock app should not have access to your phone, contacts or other files. If you're rooted, you can use apps to disable certain services from an app, if it looks fishy to you.
    I only download from the Google app store. I do use Greenify to hibernate apps but have not rooted my V10. I would have to download other software to add to Greenify (from within the app follow links) to root my phone and have never done that but have been thinking about it to get full use out of the app. I'm just a bit unsure about screwing up my V10, any tips on what steps to follow?

Thank you
    03-04-2016 03:48 PM
    Greenify works differently than ordinary task killers and is less harmful. But it is actually beneficial in few situations. I have personally not found it made a significant difference. Use it carefully and sparingly.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-04-2016 10:23 PM
    I would not bother unless you install apps from any other source but google play

Posted via BlackBerry priv
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-06-2016 03:12 AM
    No, and I won't install it either.

I've had PCs over the years and they all get infected regardless of the anti-virus software I was running at the time...what's the point?
    Yours might, mine do not, but then I use a good Antivirus.
    03-06-2016 06:33 AM
    In my past 5 years of using Android, I haven't encountered a single security risk, nor have I met someone (online or in person) who has encountered a security risk.

BTW antivirus apps are useless when users install apps that ask for permission to view all of their private data, and the user still installs it anyways.
    I definitely echo this. I see many articles about new threats and new exploits, etc. It's never happened to me or anyone I know.
    03-06-2016 07:49 AM
    This thread is a must read...

Curious what is the consensus on "wrapper" type applications? Compact apps that in essence run an the app in a www browser shell, but appear on screen to be the app itself?

I just started using Tinfoil wrapper for facebook. The only permission it asks for is location, which I deny. Is that safer than the FB app itself with permissions all turned off? I had problems with FB running in the background, and even when appearing to not be running... my battery usage monitor would detect FB doing something in the background. Tinfoil is FAR superior in this regard.... but how is it from a security standpoint?
    03-06-2016 01:29 PM
    I've kind of thought that they were significant; but never downloaded one for my Nexus 5. When I got my G3, it came with a McAfee Antivirus app; so I use that to do a full scan on my phone every couple weeks/monthly.

I feel like we should have some kind of malware detector on our phones; because like computers, they can get bugs or run into issues; often without us even meaning to cause them such problems in the first place.
    03-06-2016 07:50 PM
    Thanks for all the tips including reminding me that Android is not like Windows, more like Linux and that malware is the concern not viruses.

Keep it coming.
    03-06-2016 08:34 PM
    Yours might, mine do not, but then I use a good Antivirus.
    McAfee, Norton...still stink
    03-07-2016 06:29 AM
    I don't think it is a good idea of using Antivirus on Android device. It will just waste your space and make your device slow. I only use antivirus to protect my PC. Currently, I am using SafeBytes.
    03-10-2016 11:05 AM
    It was a great information for me too.
    03-11-2016 01:00 AM
    On android it is important to have antivirus.. With such an open platform the device become easy target for bugs to enter.
    03-11-2016 01:25 AM
    One must use an Antivirus, no matter what purpose you have on your phone. Even if you play games, then also you must have an Antivirus on your Android phone. I personally consider Quick Heal to be the best one but you can choose some other depending upon your choice and need.
    03-12-2016 03:37 AM
    In my opinion not necessary. If you don't open strange email attachements or visit evil websites, I dont see a way to get a virus.
    03-13-2016 04:46 PM
    i think NOT.
    03-14-2016 06:45 AM
    Never used one in the 5 years of being with Android
    03-14-2016 02:52 PM
    I did have Avast anti-virus installed but only for a short while then removed it, didn't think it was needed, I now have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed as an on-demand scanner and do a scan every Sunday morning, never found anything yet, sweet
    03-14-2016 07:41 PM
89 1234