06-29-2016 01:51 PM
89 123 ...
tools
    I just can't seem to find a real official statement anywhere that says we should or shouldn't use it. IPhones don't come with any, but the fact that they exist for Android makes me think we need it, just like a regular computer. Thoughts?

Posted via the Android Central App
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-07-2015 12:33 PM
    Use them, if you are just a kid that uses the phone normally and plays games then they don't really need it.
    An adult who has their email account that is attached to a credit card or other financial business on the phone, then yes.

Anyone who says or thinks there is no reason for it is just unaware of the security issues.
    10-07-2015 02:34 PM
    Here are some good articles.

Android malware scanners -- should you use one? http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...ld-you-use-one

Whats the difference between Android malware, spyware, adware and a virus? http://www.androidcentral.com/whats-...ware-and-virus

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) running Stock/AOSP (Android 6.0 Marshmallow) ElementalX N7-5.00 using Tapatalk
    Crashdamage and badcat like this.
    10-07-2015 02:42 PM
    Thank you both, I'll read up more.

10-07-2015 03:10 PM
    Defiantly use an Antivirus. With Android, you can easily get Malware and Adware etc. You'll also want it for security. And I believe with some Antiviruses, They'll do extra features like locking apps and securing photos. On a regular computer you do have a Antivirus. It's called Windows Defender btw.
    10-08-2015 07:58 AM
    In my past 5 years of using Android, I haven't encountered a single security risk, nor have I met someone (online or in person) who has encountered a security risk.

BTW antivirus apps are useless when users install apps that ask for permission to view all of their private data, and the user still installs it anyways.
    10-08-2015 09:55 AM
    Always.
    10-09-2015 01:52 PM
    I just can't seem to find a real official statement anywhere that says we should or shouldn't use it. IPhones don't come with any, but the fact that they exist for Android makes me think we need it, just like a regular computer. Thoughts?

Depends on your usage. If you want to install apps from untrustworthy sites then yes you need protection. if you root then you may need protection. If you click on unknown links you need protection.

I have been using Android for almost 5 years and have never had any problems.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Jay Sacks likes this.
    10-10-2015 09:37 AM
    I have Avast anti virus and my phone is not slow at all.It is a good preventative measure to install this.
    10-10-2015 09:40 AM
    Sometimes it is good to install an antivirus but it depends on how you use the device.
    10-11-2015 05:26 AM
    I used to use one but didn't install one on my new phone. I feel it slows the phone down somewhat.

The worst thing that has happened was spam showing up. But I tracked it down to an app that had a lot of ad-riders.

I actually installed an antivirus and spyware remover but it didn't help at all because they can't stop or uninstall something that I installed.

I realized that the key is to be careful with what you install. Don't click on suspicious ads and don't open files from unknown people.

After I uninstalled the rogue app, the spam stopped and I uninstalled the antivirus and anti-spyware apps. Been fine since.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk
    10-11-2015 05:38 AM
    Once I used Antivirus and not satisfied. I suggest you not to use Antivirus unless your financial information is attached with your phone. I think antivirus only makes the phone slow.
    I use Kaspersky and have noticed no slow down on my M9.
    10-11-2015 06:51 AM
    In my past 5 years of using Android, I haven't encountered a single security risk, nor have I met someone (online or in person) who has encountered a security risk.

BTW antivirus apps are useless when users install apps that ask for permission to view all of their private data, and the user still installs it anyways.
    I havent been in an accident for many years but that doesnt mean I shouldnt wear a seat belt.
    AndroidHabit likes this.
    10-11-2015 06:53 AM
    I've used Android since v1.0 on a HTC G1. I've never used any antivirus, never gotten any kind of malware and never actually seen any antivirus detect or stop any real threat on anyone's phone. Note I said real threat. I have seen plenty of false alarms and plenty of bogus warnings telling users to upgrade or buy another app or Bad Things are gonna happen. IMHO antivirus is unnecessary and ineffective at best, an as bad as he malware it claims to protect us from at worst.

I posted some simple rules I follow to keep secure before. They haven't failed me once.

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7084937
    Laura Knotek and UrDroid like this.
    10-11-2015 09:05 AM
    You definitely have to use an antivirus app on Android devices as they unfortunately can be victims of virus attacks... I can recommend you Avast, which I use both on my smartphone and on my PC.
    10-12-2015 10:27 AM
    I have never use Antivirus and never had problems since 5 years now. If you always use Google Play you will never have problems.

Enviado desde mi SM-G925F mediante Tapatalk
    10-12-2015 10:41 AM
    I never install antivirus on PC or any phones. I would say use common sense and only enable permissions that you require on specific apps.

Most apps require permission you don't need.
    I agree. I haven't used one on Windows 7 for years and haven't had any issues. Yes I have checked many times with various AV software.

For Android phones I think it's totally unnecessary. Just don't dowload and use programs from dubious sources.

User stupidity is the number one reason why people get malware.
    rpboronat likes this.
    10-12-2015 01:03 PM
    User stupidity is the number one reason why people get malware.
    Yup
    10-12-2015 01:06 PM
    I havent been in an accident for many years but that doesnt mean I shouldnt wear a seat belt.
    But you see people who get into accidents all the time and die, but if they had been wearing a seat belt they'd still be alive.

How many people do you see with infected Android phones? None. Zero. Zip. Nadda. Negative.

Only place you should be worried about with Android malware is in regions where Google Play is not supported. Stick to the Google Play store, download your apps from Google and not third-party sources, and you'll be fine.
    10-13-2015 09:24 AM
    10-14-2015 04:26 AM
    But you see people who get into accidents all the time and die, but if they had been wearing a seat belt they'd still be alive.

How many people do you see with infected Android phones? None. Zero. Zip. Nadda. Negative.

Only place you should be worried about with Android malware is in regions where Google Play is not supported. Stick to the Google Play store, download your apps from Google and not third-party sources, and you'll be fine.
    Guess you didnt read the news lately.
    10-15-2015 08:21 AM

I'm sorry I had to reply to your comment but just so you know, malware has been found in google play so its still not as safe as you think it is.

Also when there are people like you who think antivirus is not needed, those are the ones who go around not knowing their data is getting stolen and sold.

People don't go around saying hey look my phone has a virus on the streets but you will find posts online with their issues.
    The five years you went with no issues doesn't mean you were not open to it, trust me your phones had security bugs.

I don't know how old you are but if you do anything on your phone that is connected to your banking, other bills or sensitive accounts then you should use an antivirus app.
    10-15-2015 04:01 PM
    True, there's plenty of things to worry about in the Play store. Plenty of malware to go around. The problem is, antivirus apps do almost nothing to protect you from Play store malware.

Here's a list of just a few the vendors and apps which have serious enough problems that they should be considered malware. Not one of the apps listed will be detected as Bad News by any antivirus app. Some are truly horrible. Any software from these companies should be considered to be malware. They may have serious privacy concerns such data-mining and sending your data to servers in China or elsewhere for who knows who to do who knows what with it. They may throw up nag ads or scary-sounding bogus warnings urging you to buy more software or else Bad Things will happen in order to get you to buy and install more of their malware. They may simply be ineffective or worse. Or they may be all of these things. But for some good reasons they are all crapware to be avoided like the plague or they would not have made this list.

Bad Vendors:
    Cheetah Mobile (All the CM stuff, QuickPic and more)
    DU Apps (DU Battery Saver, DU Speed Booster, others)
    Baidu (Baidu Browser, Photo Wonder, others. Baidu owns DU Apps.)
    Go Development Team (All GO apps)
    360 Mobile Security
    Apus Group

Bad Apps:
    All CM apps including:
    Clean Master
    CM Security
    CM Speed Booster
    CM Keyboard
    CM Flashlight
    CM Backup
    Battery Doctor
    QuickPic (recently bought by CM/Baidu)
    Photo Grid
    Snap Share
    File Manager
    File Manager HD
    File Manager Pro (there are legitimate apps also called File Manager)
    ...and more

All Baidu/DU Apps including:
    Baidu Browser
    Photo Wonder
    DU Launcher
    DU Battery Saver
    DU speed Booster
    DU Privacy Vault
    ...and many more

All Apus Group apps including:
    Apus Launcher
    Apus Browser
    Apus Booster+
    Apus Message Center
    ...and more.

Misc bad apps:
    Cleaner Master (not the same as Clean Master)
    360 Mobile Seurity
    KK Browser
    Boat Browser
    UC Browser
    Dolphin Browser
    Maxthon Browser
    ...and many, many more.

ES File Explorer: See: this about ES File Explorer security concerns:
    http://androidforums.com/threads/es-.../#post-6941798
    ...and
    http://androidforums.com/threads/pro...-2#post-690973

Also, not malware, but email apps with privacy concerns: (and some without).
    See: http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7051405

Sooo...what is antivirus protecting us from? I've used Android since v1.0 and never seen antivirus stop a single legitimate threat. But it IS good at using a lack of knowledge, fear and paranoia to turn your money into theirs.
    10-15-2015 06:25 PM
    Interesting thoughts guys, thank you for the replies and advice. I was using Avast on both my Android phone and Windows 10 system. I just recently switched to Sophos and an going to continue using an antivirus to hedge my bets.

Thank you all again.

10-15-2015 11:23 PM
    Now this much malware out and not bad to have a cleaner web or apps on your phone I use AVG for my entire personal life. XD
    10-16-2015 12:17 AM
89 123 ...