Will battery packs become irrelevant soon?

j j6

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi!

Battery life is a hot topic I guess. I was wondering if you guys think battery packs will become redundant soon though.

I mean this for casual /the majority of users, some people will always need excessive battery.

I'm basically asking if these new fast charging or whatever is coming up will matter that much, I'm a bit ignorant about them atm.

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's always going to depend on use case and device. I think for the casual user, like Facebook, twitter, surfing and light games, you are probably right.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I think it is the opposite. With the development of battery packs, including ones that support either Quick Charge 2.0 or USB-C charge standards, I think part of this emboldended the OEMs to cut the battery sizes down a bit more in order to make the phones thinner.

Battery packs are crazy common now.... So OEMs might have thought "Hey... why do we have to put a larger battery in the thing to eek out maybe a 10% larger cell when someone's packing two full charges in their pocket?"

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Or more, depending on the pack. I have an Aukey 12k, and can probably get 3 out of it, with my G4.

RIGHT! So you have more and more people walking around with the packs... and most of those are the older, slower charging ones. If you have a QC pack, then you can get a significant charge out of a really short time. I think these packs are a major reason why OEMs aren't stuffing big cells in the phones.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I think they are going to be around for a long time. I can imagine the battery packs getting cheaper, smaller, more stylish, solar powered ... Everyone will have at least one at hand in a couple of years.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Battery packs will always be relevant, in fact I think more people will be buying battery packs in the future once their capacity increases.

Whenever people go camping, hiking, sight-seeing, vacationing, etc. and are away from a charger for days at a time, they will always need a battery pack. It can literally be a life saver, since you often hear stories about how someone got lost and died while hiking and they could have safely made their way back to camp... but their phone's battery had died.

j j6

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Interesting answers, I thought the opposite! And just to be clear I know people will go hiking etc still, I was asking more about use in day to day life for most people.

Posted via the Android Central App

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
There will always be a need for external battery packs, we are attached to our devices and we can't be attached to the wall all day so we will need to be able to rapid charge on the go.

delmadan

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
If the technology that goes into battery packs somehow gets ahead of the tech that goes into inbuilt batteries, I don't think they'll be going anywhere.

LukeCloudRail

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't think external battery packs are ever really going to go away. As said, there are too many different use cases where a battery pack is needed.

Take me; I will be on a long travel trip soon, involving plenty of coaches. I'm not going to be sure if I will be able to access the plug points, if there are even any, so I'm packing an external charger as well as a spare battery for my Note 4.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
One thing to also keep in mind.... Right now, the Quick Charge packs come at a slight premium over the regular packs, a price jump that is in no part driven by Qualcomm licensing. With the upcoming move to USB-C (which should occur fairly quickly), we'll see more packs coming with fast charge capabilities without the added licensing costs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae