Nexus 5x is just too big! Good alternatives in a smaller phone?

PNW123

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I know, I know, the 5x is supposed to be the smaller Nexus. But I have small hands - this thing feels huge! Plus, having to get all new cables and chargers, plus buy Google Protect (my old Nexus 5 started acting up weeks out of warranty - and is now a brick), has made it darn expensive.

I don't need the latest and greatest, but I do need a pretty good camera in an overall reliable phone that's no bigger than the original Nexus 5. Almost pulled the trigger on the Alcatel Idol 3 4.7 after I unboxed the Nexus 5x and saw how big it was, but nervous about the "off brand" - will it be reliable? Although, if it lasts at least a year, I come out money ahead even if the 2x managed to survive 2 years. The Moto G's screen brightness sounds poor, and it's $40 more for the same storage as the Idol. (One of the things I didn't like about the Nexus 5 was how dull the screen was - impossible to see in bright sun). Are there other options in the smaller form factor that I'm not thinking about?

Key desires:
-Decent camera (especially, no shutter lag)
-RELIABLE
-Max size 5"
-decent battery

I mostly do email, texts and calls, listen to music, take pictures, use maps, and do occasional surfing. And like I said, I'm coming from a Nexus 5, so something similar to plain vanilla Android would be preferable.

Suggestions?

Thank you!

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Looks like the 4.7" idol 3 meets all of your requirements. I wouldn't worry about the off brand issue. I've had the 5.5" idol 3 for a few months and I haven't had any issues with build quality or reliability. I like it so much that I decided to sell my G4. Both have very good front facing speakers, bright screen, decent camera, good battery life and run near stock Android.

PNW123

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Looks like the 4.7" idol 3 meets all of your requirements. I wouldn't worry about the off brand issue. I've had the 5.5" idol 3 for a few months and I haven't had any issues with build quality or reliability. I like it so much that I decided to sell my G4. Both have very good front facing speakers, bright screen, decent camera, good battery life and run near stock Android.

Selling your G4? Okay, that's a strong recommendation! :) My neighbor actually is loaning me his old Alcatel phone (3? years old? Running 4.1). He warned me that it wasn't a great phone, but compared to my brick, it's running great! And I REALLY like the size. So I think you are right - I should go for it with the Idol 4.7. I think I will be a lot happier with it than the Nexus 5x. Then, even if I need to update in a year, I'll come out well ahead $$$.

Thanks for the affirmation!

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Selling your G4? Okay, that's a strong recommendation! :) My neighbor actually is loaning me his old Alcatel phone (3? years old? Running 4.1). He warned me that it wasn't a great phone, but compared to my brick, it's running great! And I REALLY like the size. So I think you are right - I should go for it with the Idol 4.7. I think I will be a lot happier with it than the Nexus 5x. Then, even if I need to update in a year, I'll come out well ahead $$$.

Thanks for the affirmation!

The G4 is a great phone but I just couldn't live with the poor battery life compared to G2 and 5.5" idol 3. Probably would have kept the G4 if I took more pics and battery life was a bit better.

Just remembered that the idol 3 has Dragontrail instead of Gorilla Glass. It's probably a good idea to use a good screen protector. I prefer tempered glass which is easier to apply and provides more protection.

PNW123

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
The G4 is a great phone but I just couldn't live with the poor battery life compared to G2 and 5.5" idol 3. Probably would have kept the G4 if I took more pics and battery life was a bit better.

Just remembered that the idol 3 has Dragontrail instead of Gorilla Glass. It's probably a good idea to use a good screen protector. I prefer tempered glass which is easier to apply and provides more protection.

Thank you. I just looked up tempered glass screen protectors for it on Amazon. Do you have a preferred brand? Otherwise, I will just go for something with decent reviews. (I bought the Idol 3, 4.7. And case. Arriving Saturday!)

Thanks for your help. :)

PNW123

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I also just saw the "Hands on" review of the One Plus X. 5" screen, sd card, much stronger specs overall than either the Idol 3 4.7 or the Moto G. $249. But it won't be available for mere mortals to purchase until December - and my Nexus 5 is dead now! Hoping I like the Idol 3 4.7... :)

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. I just looked up tempered glass screen protectors for it on Amazon. Do you have a preferred brand? Otherwise, I will just go for something with decent reviews. (I bought the Idol 3, 4.7. And case. Arriving Saturday!)

Thanks for your help. :)
No problem. Hope you like the phone.

I like Nillkin tempered glass screen protectors. I didn't see any on Amazon. I'd look for one with good reviews, rounded edges, anti glare and 9H hardness.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the "small phone wishers" crowd. The ~4.7 size phone is a rarity these days, I wish the manufacturers would offer a decent phone in that size...one can only dream.

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Small devices will go extinct! The only way to go is get used to larger phones. Its not that hard... but its a must nowadays!

Posted with ❤Love❤

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Small devices will go extinct! The only way to go is get used to larger phones. Its not that hard... but its a must nowadays!

Posted with ❤Love❤

Nope, the market will come around again, the abundance of iPhone 5s out there and the regular sized 6 still command a huge market.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm so glad for this thread. Seeing that you have said that the Nexus 5x is light but too big concerns me.

I'm considering trying Android and like you, I was looking at the Alatcel OneTouch Idol 3 4.7" because it's nice and small. It doesn't seem too bad, but I was really considering the Nexus 5x as well. My other option seems to be the Sony Xperia M4 Aqua at 5 inches, and also that band 12 support (haha, no really). It seems like Sony's smaller phones are the way to go for this. Glad not to be alone here on this wanting of a small phone, because everything seems to be big.

Either the M4 Aqua or the Z5 Compact, which is newer but more expensive by a great deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781