If this is not in the correct location, I apologize in advance.
    Also, to many this might be an outdated and stupid question, however I do not pay much attention to such things. So, apologies.

Here's my comment /question :
    Used to be that a free upgrade meant exactly that, ever so often you were eligible for a new phone with a contract extension of course.
    Now, although "upgrade" available, the upgrade phone is subject to a monthly payment that amounts to the total retail cost of the new phone.
    So what, the big deal in savings is the 0% APR for another two years of contract ?
    In other words.. no more free upgrades, correct?
    Thank you..

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-08-2015 05:14 AM
    If this is not in the correct location, I apologize in advance.
    Also, to many this might be an outdated and stupid question, however I do not pay much attention to such things. So, apologies.

Here's my comment /question :
    Used to be that a free upgrade meant exactly that, ever so often you were eligible for a new phone with a contract extension of course.
    Now, although "upgrade" available, the upgrade phone is subject to a monthly payment that amounts to the total retail cost of the new phone.
    So what, the big deal in savings is the 0% APR for another two years of contract ?
    In other words.. no more free upgrades, correct?
    Thank you..

Posted via the Android Central App
    That is correct. By offering a free upgrade, Verizon is essentially paying the bill on the phone, which in most cases, can run upwards of $600-$700(+) for a flagship (i.e. iPhone) device. The way carriers made money was by increasing the cost of their plans and charging consumers more for call/text/web services. By eliminating the free upgrades and moving consumers to a financed or bring your own device (byod) model, they are able to offer lower cost plans.

Verizon provided a FAQ you can read here: Phone upgrades: top questions answered

Also, keep in mind that phones not offered by Verizon may be used on their network. For example, the Nexus 5X and 6P can be bought through Google and activated on your Verizon account. The devices are cheaper than other devices offered by Samsung and Apple, and are just as good quality wise. Just know that Verizon is not the only source for phones if you want to upgrade – simply make sure devices are compatible with their network, which you can do by asking here or checking with the manufacturer.
    11-09-2015 03:11 PM