have the Moto X (2013).

I cannot stand Lollipoop. With Lollipoop, Google wrecked the stock email app that was in KitKat, replading the email app with a gmail interface. The stock email app in Kit Kat worked better with Exchange email accounts and multiple email accounts.

I have resisted upgrading for over 1 year. But, I am getting constant interruptions telling me there is new software for Moto X. Don't care to upgrade to Lollipoop or Mashmallow.

Thoughts? I have heard that several upgrades by Motorola were just FUBAR.

I think my options are simply

1--get the iPhone 6s rather than deal with the Google email nonsense. WIth IOS, I would get normal email without being forced into the gmail-type interface?

2---The other option may be to root my Moto X (2013). I have rooted before, but I don't have time to find the all the ulitities/software to root a phone that old.

What risks am I running by not upgrading at all? Really like the Moto X running Kitkat.
    11-26-2015 03:05 PM
    There are lots of other email apps. If that's what's holding you back I'd definitely just update. It's true there were issues with Lollipop when it was new, but those are long since resolved now.

Basically by not updating you're missing out on security patches. New features too, but presumably you already knew that.
    11-26-2015 05:35 PM
    5.0 and higher uses encryption to protect the privacy of the user as well as security. KitKat does not have this.

On two of the devices, a Nexus 7 and Nexus 4, I upgraded to 5.1.1 a few weeks ago and all that did was slow those devices down so bad that they were unusable. I went back to KitKat immediately.

I did try Lollipop on ALL my phones and then ended up going back to KitKat on all of them. We're not alone on KitKat. More then 70% of all Android devices are on KitKat or below and are prone to security issues.
    11-26-2015 06:32 PM
    Android is a security nightmare to begin with, but the longer you delay upgrading, the more unpatched security vulnerabilities you accumulate.
    12-18-2015 08:38 AM
    Just like with literally any OS... if you wait and don't install updates, you might end up with a bad surprise one day. As zorak950 suggested, if it's only about the E-Mail stuff... find an alternative which suits you and then as soon as you have the time to update, just do it. Maybe your issue has been solved in the meantime anyway... after all v5 is not the "newest" around
    12-20-2015 02:51 AM