[OPINION] Why the Z5P's 4K display is all-hype and little substance

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The Sony XPERIA Z5 Premium has been around for some time already and the guys over here have just finished their full review, which you can find here. Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review | Android Central

Of course, the main headline is that it's the world's first smartphone fitted with an eye-popping 4K display. That's 3840x2160 pixels all crammed into a 5.5-inch phone, with PPI of an absurdly high 806PPI. It's going to get a lot of attention from that one headline alone, but unfortunately, as you'll find out below and in the AC Review, it's all-hype and little substance.

First, a little thing to talk about. 4K is still a maturing technology. 4K TVs and monitors are getting cheaper and cheaper, but 4K content is still extremely limited. Furthermore, 4K is incredibly taxing on components when it comes to rendering. Remember the LG G3? When the phone first came out, the constant rendering at 1440p taxed the Snapdragon 801 quite heavily and also made battery life suffer. Also, frankly speaking, a common argument is that you can't see the difference above a certain PPI, which is usually around 330PPI.

Of course, you have to take into account viewing distance as well. I hold my phone at around 8-11 inches from my face. I compared detail with 3 phones; my personal LG G4, the regular Z5 and the Z5P. Result? At my viewing distance, in terms of detail, they all look the same. By getting closer, I can see miniscule bit of pixelation on the Z5 but none on the G4 and Z5P. So I practically put my eye to the point where it can't keep a sharp look and blurs out for a final test. Guess what? I still can't see the difference. Bear in mind that I used 4K content on all 3. The scenario where I saw a difference was when I used a magnifying glass.

Of course, that's the most common argument, but there's more to that. Remember when I said 4K is taxing on hardware? Sony knew about that and that's why the full 2160p resolution is not used until the phone loads 4K content in the Gallery. It runs at 1080p at other times. That works really well in the performance department, with the phone getting solid (but not outstanding) battery life and great overall performance. Unfortunately, it also reflects the main part of this post.

Putting a 4K display on smartphones now is too soon as the tech on a phone is too far ahead

The Z5 Premium basically offers very little from the regular Z5, and considering that the Z5 is around $560 on Amazon and that the Premium costs $100 more (some go up to over $700), the premium is just not worth it, unless you need a larger display. To me, it just looks like a "Just because we can" phone, as that 4K display is there mainly for marketing and offers almost zero real-world benefits, since it is basically a bigger XPERIA Z5, with only the display being the upgrade, which functions just like one in the normal Z5 due to hardware constraints.

Now, I'm not saying that 4K on phones offers absolutely no benefits somewhat, but at this time, it offers very little benefits and a lot of drawbacks. While I applaud Sony for making this feat possible, I think it's far too soon to be implementing 4K on phones as we have a lot of other things to improve, like battery life.

If you just want a short summary, here it is. 4K on phones is still a technology that's too far ahead to be used in the present. If you're looking for an XPERIA Z5, unless you need a larger display, go with the Z5 or Z5C instead, since they offer practically the exact same experience for much less cash.

(NOTE: Before you say "They did it for VR", note that the only app that enables the Z5P's 4K resolution is the Gallery. YouTube and other VR apps run in 1080p, meaning that the VR experience in those apps using something like Google Cardboard in the Z5P may actually be worse than a phone like the Note 5, which runs in 1440p every time.)

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree. They should have never made the Z5P. Instead put a 1,440p display on the Z5 and 1080p on the Z5C. One of the reasons why I returned the Z5C is because I thought the display was subpar for a phone that cost over $500 upon release.

Google Nexus 6P

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Same could be said about 1440p displays as well. Its not needed yet most flagship phones have it. Nothing but specs war when the focus should instead be on battery life and performance.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
This is really pretty much a non-issue for me. I've used Xperias for the last couple of years mainly because I'm a big fan of Sony's hardware and software engineers. However this year there was only one choice that made engage "must have" mode so I got the N6P. Sony definitely would have been in my top 3 if I hadn't though, but the 4k was irrelevant for me, I would've bought it with or without. Every phone out there has features I know I'd never use anyway. ie. The Note 5 was also in my top 3 even though the Spen would have sat inside the phone without ever being pulled out. I would've bought it because of the screen size, camera and better battery than the S6.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
The battery life and performance on the 6P is great and it has a 1,440p display.

Google Nexus 6P
Yeah but then the battery life would be even better if it had a 1080p display.
Because when you think about it what kind of person actually needs more than full hd resolution on a 6 inch portable device?
Would the person benefit more from longer battery life or higher resolution?
I don't mind 4k or even 8k display on a phone as long as the phone continues providing atleast 2 days of heavy usage.
10 hours of SOT or 4K display? Why not both?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Same could be said about 1440p displays as well. Its not needed yet most flagship phones have it. Nothing but specs war when the focus should instead be on battery life and performance.

I also think 1440p displays are overkill. 1080p is more than enough on a phone.

barry1964

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Speaking as a photographer I love the Z5P! You can tether a 5.5 inch screen that you can put in your pocket in ultra high Def to a DSLR. What's not to like about that? Everyone's getting all messed up about weather or not the Z5P is a good phone, but it's not like Sony are forcing it on anyone. It's got bad press because it's ahead of its time, not because it's a bad idea. Ultra HD content is on it's way [actually available in certain countries], and will be the future of entertainment, no question there, and people increasingly access entertainment on hand held devices. The battery issues are software based [IMHO] and will eventually be resolved, and the screen is great, if you need one. If you don't then just buy a different phone without a high definition screen. I don't get what the big deal is, do people really need to be told why they should buy something? Surely they're smart enough to decide weather they need it or not on their own!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Speaking as a photographer I love the Z5P! You can tether a 5.5 inch screen that you can put in your pocket in ultra high Def to a DSLR. What's not to like about that? Everyone's getting all messed up about weather or not the Z5P is a good phone, but it's not like Sony are forcing it on anyone. It's got bad press because it's ahead of its time, not because it's a bad idea. Ultra HD content is on it's way [actually available in certain countries], and will be the future of entertainment, no question there, and people increasingly access entertainment on hand held devices. The battery issues are software based [IMHO] and will eventually be resolved, and the screen is great, if you need one. If you don't then just buy a different phone without a high definition screen. I don't get what the big deal is, do people really need to be told why they should buy something? Surely they're smart enough to decide weather they need it or not on their own!

I wonder if you saw the big [OPINION] tag in the title.

I was just sharing my opinion. Doesn't have to be for or against the idea.

And I wasn't saying the Z5P is bad. It's a solid phone. It's just that I feel that the 4K display is a bit too far ahead in 2016. My preferred Z5 is the regular one.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the opinion. Until they come out with replaceable high resolution eyeballs, 4k is a bit more than we actually need. (I have 20/15 vision, and can just barely, if I'm looking for it, tell the difference on a 5.5" screen. But in normal use, there's no difference. Cast to my 55" TV, there's no difference unless I get so close that seeing the whole screen is like watching a tennis math from up close.

If they want to give us hi-res cameras, that's different - a 2GP camera will let you produce a grainless 8X10 from a phone. (A 2X2 negative is about 2GP.) But if we can't see the difference, what difference does it make?

(It's like a phone that can do 75mbps downloads - on an internet that rarely gets to 3mbps per connection. So you can download 25 files at a time at full speed - on a phone? Who's ever going to do that? What's next? A Porsche that can do 0-300 in 6 seconds? Except that you have to be on the salt flats to actually do it, because it's unsafe to exceed 200mph anywhere else?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv