Lenovo to phase out Motorola brand for smartphones in favor of Moto and Vibe

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm disappointed. I'm not too picky when it comes to screen size, but it would be nice to have a sub 5" option available, if desired.

One caveat though, the Moto E while small doesn't necessarily solve the "I want 'flagship' specs in a smaller package" problem.

AKS4

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm still a bit confused on this news and how it will actually shake out in the long run. Being a recent (re)convert to Motorola, and enjoying the experience thus far, I could've seen my next few handsets bearing the "M" bat wing.

Some of my confusion may be from the fact Lenova has owned Motorola for ~1 year (and change) and only now is deciding to re-brand the cell phones. why change now and not directly after the acquisition? If it is simply a name change for better marketing, which I feel Motorola NEEDS to do since not a lot of people are aware their phones are even available.(The guy working at my local AT&T store said "I didn't know they were still making these" when I activated my phone). Then it might not be that bad of a deal.

I would highly doubt, or at least I don't want to think, that Lenova would mess with the formula that has made Motorola appealing. IMHO people gravitate toward Motorola because they want a pure android experience, with minor Motorola UI tweaks, in a more stylish package than a majority of Android devices. (subjective, yes I know). I would see the Moto line retaining its UI, being a stock-like Android with minimalistic tweaks by Moto, and the Vibe line either following suite with stock-like Android with tweaks, or remain it's own UI. As we must remember, nothing has been mentioned of the Droid line, which is a Verizon special by Motorola, running it's own Droid skin.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Some of my confusion may be from the fact Lenova has owned Motorola for ~1 year (and change) and only now is deciding to re-brand the cell phones. why change now and not directly after the acquisition? If it is simply a name change for better marketing, which I feel Motorola NEEDS to do since not a lot of people are aware their phones are even available.(The guy working at my local AT&T store said "I didn't know they were still making these" when I activated my phone). Then it might not be that bad of a deal.

Essentially what we'll see is Motorola's next phones being the branded as Lenovo Moto [insert letter here].

And the AT&T guy probably didn't know about your Moto (I'm assuming Moto X Pure Edition) since AT&T doesn't sell it. Motorola made the conscious decision to ditch carriers.

I would highly doubt, or at least I don't want to think, that Lenova would mess with the formula that has made Motorola appealing. IMHO people gravitate toward Motorola because they want a pure android experience, with minor Motorola UI tweaks, in a more stylish package than a majority of Android devices. (subjective, yes I know). I would see the Moto line retaining its UI, being a stock-like Android with minimalistic tweaks by Moto, and the Vibe line either following suite with stock-like Android with tweaks, or remain it's own UI. As we must remember, nothing has been mentioned of the Droid line, which is a Verizon special by Motorola, running it's own Droid skin.

As far as we know, Motorola Mobility is still Verizon's exclusive partner for the DROID line.

(And outside of an optional widget, there really isn't a "DROID skin".)

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Can they just stick with 5"? Good grief.

It's what happens in mergers/acquistions. Generally the new company destroys the old brand by screwing around with a proven formula. They should just can the brand and start their own line instead of feeding us unlimited lines of corporate BS. The people who made Motorola a brand have all been canned. Rarely do these types of things turn out well.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's what happens in mergers/acquistions. Generally the new company destroys the old brand by screwing around with a proven formula. They should just can the brand and start their own line instead of feeding us unlimited lines of corporate BS. The people who made Motorola a brand have all been canned. Rarely do these types of things turn out well.

I'm still fairly confident that Lenovo will make good on Moto based on their status as a top PC manufacturer and as a top smartphone manufacturer.

While there were cuts at Motorola, we don't know if their strategy of "Nexus-like with Moto enhancements" will change. I doubt it will. Plus we're getting new Moto Es and Moto Gs, two lines that have been huge for Motorola. I predict Moto (by Lenovo) will continue their expansion into key markets like Brazil and India.

AKS4

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm still fairly confident that Lenovo will make good on Moto based on their status as a top PC manufacturer and as a top smartphone manufacturer.

While there were cuts at Motorola, we don't know if their strategy of "Nexus-like with Moto enhancements" will change. I doubt it will. Plus we're getting new Moto Es and Moto Gs, two lines that have been huge for Motorola. I predict Moto (by Lenovo) will continue their expansion into key markets like Brazil and India.

I tend to agree with this. Firstly, we must remember that Lenova bought Motorola 2 years ago. If Lenova wanted to mess with Motorola's "Nexus-like" strategy, I'd think they would have done it prior to now. An article from April of last year states that Lenova would be moving all Lenova Mobile operations to be within the Motorola Mobility group. (With Motorola handling design) I can see their re-naming an effort to merge the 2 companies phone lines under one umbrella, although from the companies statement in that article, would have assumed they would've kept Motorola for mobile devices, rather than Lenova.
Lenovo's folding its own smartphone division into Motorola

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I tend to agree with this. Firstly, we must remember that Lenova bought Motorola 2 years ago. If Lenova wanted to mess with Motorola's "Nexus-like" strategy, I'd think they would have done it prior to now. An article from April of last year states that Lenova would be moving all Lenova Mobile operations to be within the Motorola Mobility group. (With Motorola handling design) I can see their re-naming an effort to merge the 2 companies phone lines under one umbrella, although from the companies statement in that article, would have assumed they would've kept Motorola for mobile devices, rather than Lenova.
Lenovo's folding its own smartphone division into Motorola

I think it was either gonna be Moto by Lenovo or Motorola by Lenovo.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE