much love and rip lg g3. you were built like a tank and withstood constant abuse from a clumsy toddler. you will be missed. but then, I get to go shopping for new stuff. so there's that...

i've been off contract with vzw for years. still have unlimited. with discounts and taxes I pay 90$ per month for one line. i'm willing to leave vzw for att or tmob.

what carrier has the best deal these days?

any suggestions on hardware? thinking of lg g5. never been much of a Sammy guy but they say s7 is super nice. any word on a new nexus device coming up soon?

input is appreciated.
    03-22-2016 01:28 PM
    Are you looking to buy something on contract or stay off? Is still having unlimited important to you? What do you like about the G5? The S7 Edge is getting very favorable reviews, it's obviously still very much a Samsung phone, but it is better than all prior generations in many ways.

As far as carriers go, what you want is very important but I can't think of a reason to go to AT&T for anyone ever, so keeping Verizon or switching to T-Mobile really depends on who has better service in your area, whether or not you want to retain unlimited and how much price matters.

The next Nexus devices will almost certainly be announced in October and released in November, so unless you have a good backup for 6 months or so, it's going to be off the table. That said, the 6P is, IMO, by far and away the best device available anywhere at any price. That said, the S7 Edge has a lot going for it too.
    03-22-2016 01:48 PM
    regarding carrier / contract all options are on the table. however, monthly bill will be major driving factor.

if there's a deal to be had with a sufficient amount of data, i'm willing to give up unlimited. vzw throttles me anyway.

right now usage ranges from 5 to 7 gigs a month (there's no wifi at work). until recently it was regularly at 9 gigs.

that's a bummer to hear about the nexus timeline, i can't really wait that long.

i'm drawn to the lg g5 simply because of the great experience I've had with the g3.
    03-22-2016 02:02 PM
    New Nexii shouldn't be expected until late October... that is when they've traditionally rolled out any new devices.

Suggestions are subjective... everyone has their own favorites.

Personally? I have a 6P, love it, still wouldn't trade it for anything on the market... maybe the next Nexus will dethrone it, but that's 7 months away so I am not going to be all that concerned about new phone envy... at least yet.

As for carriers, it's tricky with all the deals going on. It all depends on your usage. But it's hard to gauge prices since they are all running deals with various amounts of data, terms.. it's confusing. I have a grandfathered plan on T-Mobile that is two lines of unlimited LTE for $100/m.... but if I was to have someone sign up for a single unlimited line now, I think it's like $95... go figure.

I'd use the plan comparison tools on all the major sites and compare that way.
    Aquila and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-22-2016 02:14 PM
    6p huh? how is it to handle? 5.7 screen seems on the bigish side. I've been rolling with 5.5 so not that big of a difference, but...
    03-22-2016 02:48 PM
    The 6P is quite a bit taller and slightly wider than the G3. The G5 and G3 are very siilar in size, though the G5 is taller and the G3 is slightly wider. It is substantially thinner, the 6P and G5 are both 7.3mm thin. Moving from a 5.5" screen to a 5.7" screen (or 5.3" screen like the G5) isn't that strange. I went from 4.7" to 5.2" to 5.9" in two years and it literally takes a few days at max to get used to it. 5.7" is easy mode. I would have a more difficult time going smaller to the 5.3" screen to be honest than going up slightly.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-22-2016 03:02 PM
    The 6P is quite a bit taller and slightly wider than the G3. The G5 and G3 are very siilar in size, though the G5 is taller and the G3 is slightly wider. It is substantially thinner, the 6P and G5 are both 7.3mm thin. Moving from a 5.5" screen to a 5.7" screen (or 5.3" screen like the G5) isn't that strange. I went from 4.7" to 5.2" to 5.9" in two years and it literally takes a few days at max to get used to it. 5.7" is easy mode. I would have a more difficult time going smaller to the 5.3" screen to be honest than going up slightly.
    I went from a 4.7" to a 5.7" phone, and it only took me a couple days to get used to the size. I thought I'd have trouble with a bigger device, but it was easy for me to adapt to the size. I have a hard time using smaller phones now.
    gendo667 likes this.
    03-22-2016 03:11 PM
    One thing to keep in mind with phones is that it's not the screen size, at least measured in diagonal... it's the width. Well, unless you have some kind of lobster claw, vertical grip or something... when people complain about a phone being too big, it's the width that is causing them issues. And while the 6P is a fair bit taller than the g4 (nearly half an inch taller), the two phones are nearly the same width. The 6P is only about 1.7mm wider.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-22-2016 04:26 PM
    That is everyone for their feedback.
    03-22-2016 11:22 PM
    I switch from the note 5 to the Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge and I am loving it!. Great phone!

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-23-2016 04:56 PM
    caught vzw in a lie, twice. att treated me like i was buying a used car. they literally said, what's it gonna take to get you to switch service. hadn't gotten around to tmob yet.

then my brother reminded me of project fi. looked it up, pulled the trigger. bought a 5x for 250. best deal i found. 5x will hold me over until new nexus comes out in several months.
    Aquila likes this.
    03-23-2016 08:57 PM
    caught vzw in a lie, twice. att treated me like i was buying a used car. they literally said, what's it gonna take to get you to switch service. hadn't gotten around to tmob yet.

then my brother reminded me of project fi. looked it up, pulled the trigger. bought a 5x for 250. best deal i found. 5x will hold me over until new nexus comes out in several months.
    grats!
    03-23-2016 11:20 PM