phone advice please!

bluetroll

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
My wife currently has a BlackBerry Z30, and it is needing to be replaced! We are in Canada.

These are the important needs:

Frequent updates
Monthly security patches
Possible expandable memory
Doesn't break the bank!

Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Moto X pure might fit the bill - it should get frequent updates along with monthly security patches. It takes an SD card and is pretty reasonably priced. Plus you get to customize it through moto maker.

bluetroll

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Moto X pure might fit the bill - it should get frequent updates along with monthly security patches. It takes an SD card and is pretty reasonably priced. Plus you get to customize it through moto maker.

Thanks! I'll check that one out!

I've got the Priv and I know she's not going to want to drop $700 for it.

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
There is the option of replacing the Z30 with a new one. You might find a new one marked down pretty good by now. Even the Passports are selling at a discount.

See what they say at crackberry.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade, I promise. But there are no Android phones that hit all four things on your list.

The Nexus 5X covers 1, 2 and 4.

The BlackBerry Priv covers 1,2 and 3.

None of the rest come close.

I'm not sure why, but a lot of people aren't liking their Priv. I loved mine, but I had to share with everyone else in the company so I sent it to Andrew. I'm trying to get another one. But you might find a good deal on a used one at CrackBerry, or somewhere like Kijiji or Swappa

bluetroll

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade, I promise. But there are no Android phones that hit all four things on your list.

The Nexus 5X covers 1, 2 and 4.

The BlackBerry Priv covers 1,2 and 3.

None of the rest come close.

I'm not sure why, but a lot of people aren't liking their Priv. I loved mine, but I had to share with everyone else in the company so I sent it to Andrew. I'm trying to get another one. But you might find a good deal on a used one at CrackBerry, or somewhere like Kijiji or Swappa

Yeah. I'm a little weary to buy a second hand phone though. I'll still keep it in mind though.
I think I'll have to get her the 5X 32GB.
How is the durability of the 5X? She's not the gentlest on her phones. I'm impressed that her Z30 even lasted so long. She drops her phones often!

There is the option of replacing the Z30 with a new one. You might find a new one marked down pretty good by now. Even the Passports are selling at a discount.

See what they say at crackberry.

She doesn't want the Z30 anymore because the Google apps just don't work well anymore. Also, the browser doesn't play well with some websites, especially her own business website!!

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
My wife currently has a BlackBerry Z30, and it is needing to be replaced! We are in Canada.

These are the important needs:

Frequent updates
Monthly security patches
Possible expandable memory
Doesn't break the bank!

Thanks!

Blackberry priv. You can buy open box from Rogers for $650.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
She doesn't want the Z30 anymore because the Google apps just don't work well anymore.
My old (circa 2012) Google apps still work well. Some of the new ones don't. Some do. It has nothing to do with "Google apps have stopped working".)

Also, the browser doesn't play well with some websites, especially her own business website!!
That's the fault of the person writing the site. Cross-browser compatibility is now a LOT more complex than it was. Writing a site for 3 browsers is no longer an option - even though MANY web developers are still stuck in that rut. (The plainer the site, the better the chance it's going to work - but companies want more and more complex sites - all running on all the browsers out there. It wasn't going to happen back in 1998, and it's not going to happen even worse in 2016.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox