Telemarketers

carlarcher

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I've had this new cell number for four days but wondering if there will be a problem with telemarketers?
The landline I used to have was plagued with them. Yes, I was on the "do not call registry" but that seemed useless.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I've had this new cell number for four days but wondering if there will be a problem with telemarketers?
The landline I used to have was plagued with them. Yes, I was on the "do not call registry" but that seemed useless.

Depends on who you give the cell # to.

The DNC list originally worked great. It's essentially useless now. The best reason to have a landline is to save cell phones from becoming your phone of general usage when you talk to EVERYONE, including commercial operations.

--On your cell, download "Mr. Number" and adjust spam settings as desired. It will help out a lot.
--On your landline, get rid of overpriced companies like Verizon, etc, who do nothing about this problem. For far less, buy Ooma premium. You'll save around $30 a month and you can blacklist spammers.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It is illegal for telemarketers to knowingly place a call to a wireless number using any automated dialing system or pre-recorded voice message unless they have express prior consent. Now, you can give that consent via a proxy, such as if it's in the terms and conditions with an affiliated partner, but in general, all you have to do if you receive an automated call is to speak to an agent, let them know it is a cell phone and that you do not consent to any contact attempts to that number. You can also register your number on the do not call registry, but many cell phone numbers are "scrubbed" through a database that identifies them as probable land-lines or cell phones. Repeat violators should be reported to the FCC at this link: https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=39744

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
It is illegal for telemarketers to knowingly place a call to a wireless number using any automated dialing system or pre-recorded voice message unless they have express prior consent. Now, you can give that consent via a proxy, such as if it's in the terms and conditions with an affiliated partner, but in general, all you have to do if you receive an automated call is to speak to an agent, let them know it is a cell phone and that you do not consent to any contact attempts to that number. You can also register your number on the do not call registry, but many cell phone numbers are "scrubbed" through a database that identifies them as probable land-lines or cell phones. Repeat violators should be reported to the FCC at this link: https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=39744

Most all spam is illegal to phone lines if the number is on the DNC list. (There are exceptions for political calls, charities, someone you've done business with and have a relationship with.)

The problem is that legality issues do not stop the spammers. The people selling mortages, selling home alarm systems, running IRS or Microsoft scams, offering to reduce interest rates....They don't care and the FTC does not have the resources to stop them.

These are disreputable companies per se. Many if not most of them have been accused of scams, not just spam, but when you have companies deliberately engaged in massive violations of law, consider them disreputable per se. DO BUSINESS WITH NONE OF THEM. Legit companies do not act this way:
1) They don't violate the do not call list; (illegal) (and if they are calling you with robo calls, they are probably making 10s of thousands of them---massive violations)
2) They don't dishonor personal requests not to be called again (illegal)
3) They don't give you phony Caller id notes (illegal)
4) They won't give you identifying info on their company--failing to identify oneself is illegal
5) They won't give you a callback # (see #4)

So, when it goes something like this, run for hills (the "Q" is from the consumer; the A from the scammer)

Q. What company are you calling from?
A. Credit Card Services
Q. Yes, but what company?
A. Credit Card Services.
Q. What's your address?
A. We don't give that out?
Q. What's your website address?
A. We don't give that out until you've given us your credit card and we determine you qualify
Q. Nice scam
A. You are a *$#U%@)(U% sir, you're useless and you know nothing.

A year or so back there was a huge class action lawsuit against one of the key spammers they caught in Florida. For a few months, my phone lines were actually cleaned up! No calls. Then, it started again. They just put up another phony call center and the robo calls begin again.

carlarcher

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks all for all the great info. I'll be careful who to give the number out to. Yes the DNC registry was a dissappointment, like mentioned, at first it worked great but soon, had no effect.

carlarcher

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried the whitepages app? It'll block all telemarketers.
Hi Rheller82, no I haven't tried that app, I'll get it. Since I'm so new, I haven't gotten any telemarketers yet but I'm sure it'll happen and want to be ready. Also being very careful who I give the number to. Thanks!

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
NEVER ANSWER A CALL FROM AN UNIDENTIFIED NUMBER. MY SON DID ONCE AND JUST BY SAYING HELLO, WE WERE CHARGED 99.00 FOR THE CALL. I FOUGHT WITH VERIZON AND WON, BUT A LESSON WAS LEARNED. ALSO EVERY TIME MY PHONE RINGS WITH AN UNRECOGNIZABLE NUMBER, I DECLINE IT, THEN I SIMPLY ADD IT TO THE BLOCK LIST. THIS HAS HELPED A LOT.

Posted via Android Central App

carlarcher

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
NEVER ANSWER A CALL FROM AN UNIDENTIFIED NUMBER. MY SON DID ONCE AND JUST BY SAYING HELLO, WE WERE CHARGED 99.00 FOR THE CALL. I FOUGHT WITH VERIZON AND WON, BUT A LESSON WAS LEARNED. ALSO EVERY TIME MY PHONE RINGS WITH AN UNRECOGNIZABLE NUMBER, I DECLINE IT, THEN I SIMPLY ADD IT TO THE BLOCK LIST. THIS HAS HELPED A LOT.

Good point, I installed a caller id and block app today. It's a good thing I don't have many friends that call me, makes it easy to sort out unknown numbers.
Thanks!

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
You've got to set up a system where you call and let it ting once, then call back. Or text him first to let him know that its you l,, using a specific code only the 2 of you know.

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The problem with recognizing a number can be fixed by using a code dial like we did with party lines years ago. We used ring twice, hang up, ring twice, hang up, 3rd ring you answered.

With cell phones you could probably set a redial and space. Someone else may have other suggestions.

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Spammers can be offshore, and not touched unless truly caught. They also use predictive diallers which are illegal for cell phones.

I used to have a contact called spammer, and stuck the numbers from the calls in there with some fairly disgusting names. Then assign a silent ring. never heard them. You can check "who calls me" and "800 notes" for some information on an unknown number. If there has been a predictive spam run, the numbers will be there.

Newer phones block, there are apps to block. If you can't - use the silent ring.

dawning

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Receive these kind of scam and telemarketing calls often, since years ago. Now I never answer call from number I don't recognize. Sometimes it just better if I look up the number on Google or some sites like Report Phone Number to WhyCall.Me just to see if people have reported the number as scammer, so that I can just block them even without picking up the phone.