Tap or Swipe?

carlarcher

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
A couple weeks into phones, my main interest is texting. Been learning the swiping (or is it called gestures)? method and can see where it can be faster. Wondering which method you prefer or do you use a combination of tap and swiping?
Thanks.

Last edited:

carlarcher

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I tap. My mind just can't get the hang of swiping to text.

Yes swiping is certainly different from anything I've done. I'm finding the app SWYPE is good in remembering words and patterns. To practice swiping, I got a big photo of a QWERTY keyboard and practice on that when I'm away from the phone.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Gesture typing changed my (mobile) life. I got big thumbs, and tap typing was an exercise in futility. Then, there was that fine day where I opened the keyboard settings and saw this mysterious setting called 'gesture typing via Swype'... And the clouds parted and a light shown down upon me.

I took to gesture typing really quick. But it's not for everyone.

carlarcher

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Yep, I really like using the Swype keyboard, I tried others but seems Swype guesses a bit more accurately and the more you use it, the more accurate it gets. I have a small 4" screen and tapping was like you said very frustrating for me.

Also trying the Google voice, if you speak clearly and enunciate well, it's even faster than touch typing on a full size keyboard.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I use SwiftKey and gesture typing (flow). Much better for one handed use and the prediction machine is more accurate than when you tap.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... I'm on the Google Keyboard. I've tried near every decent keyboard and they all get on my nerves at some point or the other... especially Switftkey... it starts out working great but after about a week, it turns to a puddle of goo. It starts to get laggy, the predictions/corrections go into the toilet, etc. Can't figure it. Plus, it can't do 'was'.... GK is the only gesture keyboard I've used that can do 'was'.... :)

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I've tried to use swiping method and i didnt like it. For me, tapping is better and faster.

Posted with ❤LOVE❤

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Gesture/swipe typing has been one of the reasons I prefer Android over iOS, even though iOS now has alternate keyboards available. I use the Swype keyboard on both my devices.

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
It took me a while to get the hang of swiping, but now I can't imagine not doing it. Of course, now I have major arthritis in my right thumb. Oh well.

Posted via the Android Central App

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Swiping was intuitive to me, I can swipe a text much faster than typing by a long shot. However, with my G4's touch-screen issues I wind up tapping more than I want.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Could you please tell me the name of the T9 keyboard?

This is the one I use here (paid for)...https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...putmethod.latin&hl=en_GB%2AIts&token=iMhwOZmc not been updated since July 2012 but works just fine on LL 5.1.1.

Two others to mention are this one (free trial)...https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...rtkeyboardtrial&hl=en_GB%2Aand&token=AHLq294b this...https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...latin.perfectkeyboard&hl=en_GB&token=xusXSDnA

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site