Continuum for Android

nasznjoka

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys think Google needs to think outside the box for the upcoming versions?? I mean quit these ui changes etc bring something like continuum for android like Microsoft one but the better approach ??? Ms is sleeping Google wake up

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So, like the Chromebox? It's been around for nearly 4 years and has had several improvements over the years. As far as the UI, pushing material design to the entire UI, etc. needed to happen - otherwise it'd be disjointed, which no one wants. The thing is, they've been doing "outside the box" for a long time and now it's time to reign than in a little bit and solve some more basic issues, like being able to send full size video via "text message" without hitting MMS limits or data costs, and getting firmware updates without OEM or carrier interference.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not convinced that Continuum has any practical use. If one is going to need a dock and monitor anyway, what's the point? One might as well use a notebook or a tablet.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well... the concept still needs a little seasoning. The problem is that the hardware AND software are years from allowing this. But that's where things are going.... a phone with the power of a laptop that can run both mobile and desktop apps seamlessly. The irony is that the OS that's the closest to providing that has a market share in the LOW single digits and dwindling app support.

But it's a matter of direction... Microsoft is trying to build a desktop OS that can do mobile and Google is going in the opposite direction.. So Google will win the race, by sheer force of its 80% market share.

But I think it would be great.... dispensing with my work laptop and just being able to either connect my phone wirelessly (or via USB-C, for instance) and be able to pick up right where I left off? Let's say I was in the middle of writing up an important email, or document and I leave the office... having it be there, but in a mobile form? I lean heavily on Google's stuff to get me part of the way there as is... but if I could get that on a single device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12