Gorilla glass. How tough it really is ?

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I have blackberry priv which I really like a lot. Great phone and I am very happy with it.(I had to say it lol). Anyways I did notice couple of small scratches on the screen. Nothing major but still surprising because I thought gorilla glass is tough. Not so tough on my phone :(

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Scratches on glass are alas a fact of life. There's grit everywhere. I used to use a book-type case on my Nexus 5, till I noticed very fine scratches, easily visible under a magnifier. So now it's screen protector and no case.

I believe that shatter-resistant and scratch-resistant are to some extent mutually exclusive.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I just thought gorilla glass is much more resistant than this.
Well, it all depends on what it came in contact with. There's plenty of little nasty bits out there that will scratch gorilla glass... The gorilla part comes from them impregnating the glass with additives that reduce the glasses tenancy to shatter. As for scratch resistance, it's pretty much still glass. A single grain of quartz, which is everywhere, can do a number on glass.

That's why people were trying up make screens from corundum (aka sapphire)... Which is really second only to diamond. Problem is that the stuff shattered easier than GG.. And it also kind of sucked, optically.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I've always been wondering about GG strength. My Evo 4G (the original) was dropped a couple times. Never broke. To my knowledge it had no special glass panel. Just regular glass. My Note 4 had a nasty crack in the bottom edge. And I have no freaking clue how it happened as it was never dropped, despite being a Gorilla Glass display (GG 3 I think...). My wife also had a S4 (GG 2 I believe). Protected in a case with a screen protector. She dropped it first time ever from waist height into concrete. Damn thing shattered to pieces. Gorilla Glass might be stronger, but make no mistake. It can scratch and crack and shatter just like normal glass. Ironic I still have my original Evo 4G. Phone is over 5 years old. No scratches or cracks. Device works great. Treat your gorilla glass display just as you would any glass. Don't be surprised if it cracks on its first fall

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
It's tough, but dont expect it to be super tough. It still can have scrathes and cracks but its harder than regular glass. My S6 edge (GG 4) only have 1 very small scratch after 1 year without screen guard.

Posted with ❤Love❤

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis