Cubot Note S initial impressions

Javarod

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Ok, figured I'd review this, and since there's no section for Cubot nor apparently a miscellanious Chinese section, I guess I'll put it here and leave it to the experts to figure out where it goes.

So, got this about a week or so ago from Everbuying.net as a replacement for my problematic Ulefone BePro for a whopping $80. The specs (1.3Ghz MT6580, 2G/16G, 5.1, 4150Mah) look to be roughly similar to the BePro (1.5Ghz MT6732, 2G/16G, 5.0, 2600Mah) which ran me $130 back in Aug and is still around $120 now.

Initial impression was good, thicker, but it didn't appear to be as long nor as wide, and while heavier, not obscenely so, instead it just feels more solid. Build quality appears excellent, only negative I can see is the odd placement of the On/Off switch, right side below the volume buttons, but at least it works, something that couldn't be said of the BePro

Screen is bright, I have the brightness at 50-60%, whereas my previous phones have typically been at 90%. Its also clear, equal to my previous devices, although I'm sure there's better out there, its not like the Chinese are selling cutting edge technology, especially not at this price. Camera hasn't gotten used much yet, but seems to be adequate, might try downloading OpenCamera which I've had good luck with before in the past. Not sure about the battery life yet, doesn't seem that much better despite the larger battery, and the % in the Alert bar (is that what's its called?) reads 2-3% lower than what the phone reports when turned off and plugged in.

Its not perfect, we've had a couple freezes, but those seem to have been memory issues as they're usually preceded by CleanMaster (included software) telling me that I'm running out of memory, I prolly should grab a memory card for it. In fact this one is so much more stable than the BePro that I often forget that I don't have to reset it periodically so that my programs will work. Also I prolly need to tweak the network settings, I'm getting some weird errors and issues, such as E level service, the lock screen showing Emergency Calls Only despite a 3H connection (something the BePro either couldn't display or never achieved) and calls/etc working just fine.

Verdict? •!
And that's without taking into account that it only costs $80. Seriously, if you need a cheap solid reliable smart phone on a lean budget, so long as your carrier uses GSM (AT&T, T-Mobile and some VMOs in the US), you could do worse. Perhaps my opinion will change after a few months with it, time will tell, but at that price, if it lasts 3 months, I'll have gotten my money's worth.

(my ratings worst to best ¡¡, ¡•, ••, •!, !!)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2