got an ipad pro 9.7 but....thinking I will send it back

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I have had android phones for a while
I have a samsung galaxy s7 edge and I am very happy with it.
I have tried a bunch of different android tablets--and its been hit or miss sometimes. I have proudly had a galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition. The tablet and the active stylus is very useful.

But its an older tablet and its long in the tooth. The processor and battery life are not what it used to be. And sadly, samsung has mostly dropped the wacom stylus aside from the galaxy note phone series.

I wanted to try something new so I got an ipad pro. Meh.

1) It is SUPER expensive. Especially when you factor the multiple price points for storage and the lack of MicroSd. Throw in the Apple Pencil at $99 and you really do pay the apple tax

2) The lack of a file system, coming from Android tablets and phones is really annoying. Yes the ipad pro is powerful and can multitask, but its limited to apple approved apps. Want to play a video in VLC? Nope. Want to play in apple video app? Sure. Options are limited. Can you plug in a otg usb adapter to download some files from a usb stick? Maybe with a lot of extra adapters...its easy on most android devices...

3) No back button...? Still? I keep looking for the back to get out of an app and nothing. The lack of something consistent is annoying and its not consistent in iOS apps either.

4) The apple pencil itself works well, if you have the right apps. But...the charging is...interesting. You have no eraser, a cap that is easy to lose, a pencil tip that fell off on me, and a lightning male-female adapter so you can charge the pencil by cable that is also easy to lose. Why does a pencil need so many small parts? It also has no clip or place to store with the ipad pro. Yes I think it works well, but at $99 don't lose or break it! My Galaxy note 2014 uses standard passive wacom stylus that are cheap and don't require a battery.

5) The lightning connector. It just seems with a little pressure it will snap pretty easily. At least USB-C seems to be solid. And why the 12.9 inch ipad pro transfers files faster than the 9.7 inch tablet is beyond me.

6) The sound--this is awesome--the ipad pro 9.7 has the loudest speakers I have ever heard in a device this size.

7) Battery life is quite good.

Its a good tablet but I am too much of an android fanboy now. This is painful since I have a lot of apps over the years when I had the ipad 1, ipad 2, ipad 3, and then an ipad air. Since then Android has come a long way. But I can't get that app money back anymore! Ugh! And amazingly a lot of medical stuff stays on the ipad and doesnt always come to android.

Given how expensive the model I got...I will send back and Maaaaaybe consider a used ipad air or something as a backup. Or not. Or just play with the refurb samsung galaxy s2 9.7 that can multi-window and is light as a feather.

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Ipad is a great tablet and better than most of android tablet in the market. But the price of ipad is just way expensive, Especially the ipad pro. I think its better to return it and get an used ipad mini/used ipad air and also the tab s2. Also, consider the nvidia k1 tab if the tab s2 is too expensive.

Posted with ❤Love❤

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Ipad is a great tablet and better than most of android tablet in the market. But the price of ipad is just way expensive, Especially the ipad pro. I think its better to return it and get an ipad mini. The ipad mini is very good as a secondary back up tablet

Posted with ❤Love❤

Posted with ❤Love❤

Eageron

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
1) It is SUPER expensive. Especially when you factor the multiple price points for storage and the lack of MicroSd. Throw in the Apple Pencil at $99 and you really do pay the apple tax

Absolutely agree with you! And trust me! I paid for the iPad 12.9inch in Euros! The pencil here costs 179€! Just the Pencil! So on this point I'm with you!

2) The lack of a file system, coming from Android tablets and phones is really annoying. Yes the ipad pro is powerful and can multitask, but its limited to apple approved apps. Want to play a video in VLC? Nope. Want to play in apple video app? Sure. Options are limited. Can you plug in a otg usb adapter to download some files from a usb stick? Maybe with a lot of extra adapters...its easy on most android devices...

Of course Android is open system compared to Apple, however I have to state this is nothing new. If you go for Apple you know that you will have to live in the Apple Universe. You actually should have known this before you have purchased the iPad. :)

3) No back button...? Still? I keep looking for the back to get out of an app and nothing. The lack of something consistent is annoying and its not consistent in iOS apps either.

The consistency lies within the fact that there is no back button! :)

4) The apple pencil itself works well, if you have the right apps. But...the charging is...interesting. You have no eraser, a cap that is easy to lose, a pencil tip that fell off on me, and a lightning male-female adapter so you can charge the pencil by cable that is also easy to lose. Why does a pencil need so many small parts? It also has no clip or place to store with the ipad pro. Yes I think it works well, but at $99 don't lose or break it! My Galaxy note 2014 uses standard passive wacom stylus that are cheap and don't require a battery.

I think even "Notes" has an Eraser when you work with the Pencil. I just checked that again! What I don't like is the fact that you cannot merge the Pencil with the iPad. This is something that really annoys me to the utmost. And the price yeah! It is hardcore! :)

5) The lightning connector. It just seems with a little pressure it will snap pretty easily. At least USB-C seems to be solid. And why the 12.9 inch ipad pro transfers files faster than the 9.7 inch tablet is beyond me.

Hmm! Haven't tested the 9.7!

6) The sound--this is awesome--the ipad pro 9.7 has the loudest speakers I have ever heard in a device this size.

Agreed!

7) Battery life is quite good.

Agreed!

I will keep mine I'm pretty happy! But I understand that you are not happy with it! But honestly some of the points you should have known before purchasing it!

Best

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
totally, but sometimes you gotta to take the plunge to see....I will probably pick up a cheaper used ipad as a backup...but not for main use. Sad about the pencil though. Android needs a new tablet with an active stylus!

thanks59300

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
totally, but sometimes you gotta to take the plunge to see....I will probably pick up a cheaper used ipad as a backup...but not for main use. Sad about the pencil though. Android needs a new tablet with an active stylus!

Yes I was torn between 9.7 128 gb and the MacBook. Thinking I may take mine back too and get the MacBook that way at least I can back up my iPhone and sons tablet on a computer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay