Phone sizes are getting ridiculous

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a Droid Maxx 2 which has a 5.5 in screen and while I have sort of gotten used to (and like) the screen size, it is a hassle to carry the phone around. I'm fairly certain my next phone will have a smaller screen.

Evan_Parsons

May 6, 2016
Visit site
From a developer standpoint, having a greater screen size range to develop for makes the overall process take longer (I'd rather program for phones between 5.0 and 5.5 inches than develop for 4.0 to 5.5). So the fewer smaller devices there is, the better in that regard.

From an end user perspective, I miss being able to use my phone with one hand.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I agree with this, I probably wouldn't want to use a phone that has any bigger than a 5.2" screen at the most. I do have an iPhone SE that has a smaller screen and I enjoy it. However, it is interesting how quickly we can adapt. I'm using a Nextbit Robin right now, and it's pretty much bezeless imo. I can use it one handed because of my long fingers. Surprisingly, it doesn't even feel like I'm straining to do it either, but I do notice that I am doing some interesting things to keep the consistency of using it one handed (I turn the phone sideways lol).

ackmondual

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
There really isn't any Android smartphones with a 4" to 4.7" + more or less "updated" specs!? I just assumed that Apple came out with the 4 SE in response to what was already available on the Android side. Android did blaze the trail for... well, any phone larger than those 4" iPhones (not to mention Ipod Touches). Could Apple lead the way back to smaller phones for those who'd like that? AFAIK, there should still be Android phones on the smaller side, even if they aren't "full screen". IOW, they still have physical buttons for the phone.

As somebody who used to use an Ipod Touch 5 for internet on the road (wherever there was wifi of course), while it's doable, it's also generally not an experience I'd rather stick with for any long period of time. What didn't really help was when the Iph screens went from 3.5" to 4", all they did was make it a half inch longer on the length. The width was still exactly the same. It felt like a narrow, "mail slot view". For certain web pages, you had to do a lot of "side to side scrolling" b/c some of the text was either too small at 100% zoom level, or zoomed in required you to do the back and forth.

Having a larger screen like the Samsung Galaxy s2, followed by a Galaxy s4, made that all the better. I may upgrade to the LG G4's 5.5" screen, which I suspect may be too big for me, in terms of managing it (not actually using it nor the experience, but I've seen it in person and it's not that much bigger than my gs4), but I'm willing to give it a shot if I pull the trigger on that. Speaking of which....

As I see it, a lot of people are much worried about the screen sizes, when they don't realize that the screen size increases, but the phones hardly do nowadays. My brother's 5.7inch Galaxy A8 is the same size as my old 5.5inch Note 2. My current Galaxy S7 Edge is smaller than my old Note 2 despite having the same 5.5inch screen. The 5.1inch Galaxy S7 is about the same size as the previous 4.7inch Galaxy S3.

Worry more about the actual phone size rather than the screen.[/url]
To be fair, some folks are indeed worried about the screen size, NOT the size of the phone. One issue includes being able to reach the entire area of the phone screen with just a single thumb, while holding it one-handed. I can see why this is convenient for some folks.

OTOH, I gotta at least partially call "j'accuse!", since this really does sound like Apple's marketing spin group at work. Unless they can make some phone that can let you have the best of both worlds (and for me, the phones with large enough screens won't let you do the "thumb can reach everywhere requirement"), I'm picking the larger phone and accepting that as a tradeoff. Another thing is that even the 4" iPhones weren't usable one-handed if you went into landscape mode, so I don't know who they were trying to kid there.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
There really isn't any Android smartphones with a 4" to 4.7" + more or less "updated" specs!? I just assumed that Apple came out with the 4 SE in response to what was already available on the Android side. Android did blaze the trail for... well, any phone larger than those 4" iPhones (not to mention Ipod Touches). Could Apple lead the way back to smaller phones for those who'd like that? AFAIK, there should still be Android phones on the smaller side, even if they aren't "full screen". IOW, they still have physical buttons for the phone.

To be fair, some folks are indeed worried about the screen size, NOT the size of the phone. One issue includes being able to reach the entire area of the phone screen with just a single thumb, while holding it one-handed. I can see why this is convenient for some folks.

OTOH, I gotta at least partially call "j'accuse!", since this really does sound like Apple's marketing spin group at work. Unless they can make some phone that can let you have the best of both worlds (and for me, the phones with large enough screens won't let you do the "thumb can reach everywhere requirement"), I'm picking the larger phone and accepting that as a tradeoff. Another thing is that even the 4" iPhones weren't usable one-handed if you went into landscape mode, so I don't know who they were trying to kid there.
With the SE, you really can reach everywhere with your thumb. I might have long fingers, but the thumb thing is seriously real. I do wish that there were more Android phones that could match this combo.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
With the SE, you really can reach everywhere with your thumb. I might have long fingers, but the thumb thing is seriously real. I do wish that there were more Android phones that could match this combo.
This is one of the more annoying things I always disliked about making a call on an iPhone. Look at the size of the call screen. The keypad gets taller as the phone gets taller. Sure you can use reachability to lower the display but that's just another annoying step to have to go through. Trying to make a call with one hand on the 5S is just as difficult as it is on the 6S+. Then look at the phone keypad on an Android phone. My S7 Edge keypad is the same size as the one on my Note 5.

5S - 6S - 6S+ Kind of shows what I've been thinking lately: An iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone.

20160517_091743.jpg

Last edited:

hotdogchilli

May 17, 2016
Visit site
I am a fan of big phones so 5.5" for me is great size. Not smaller and not bigger. But yeah, I think that the screens are becoming too larger than they are supposed to be.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I do like 5.2" to 5.5" phones, but I must admit that I had to learn to hold my phone differently to reach the whole screen.

With old small phones, when the phone is in my right hand, my index, middle, and ring fingers would wrap around the back of the phone and all the way to the left side. (The pinky would be under the bottom for stability.) But if I hold newer big phones like this then my thumb can't reach the whole screen.

Now my index, middle, and ring fingers just rest on the back of the phone, and no part of my fingers or hand touches the left side. (The pinky is still under the bottom for stability.) Holding it like this, I can reach the whole screen.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I am in the realm between 5.2" - 5.5". I am too afraid to go bigger as of now, but I MIGHT try for the 6P later. I like putting phones in my pockets, purses, etc, so I feel like 5.7" (which still feels on the larger size to me, but we'll see!) is a little too big/the biggest I'll go.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Had my Note 4 for almost 2years now, had a S4 before that, the jump from 5.0 to 5.7inch was not that bad and I have thoroughly enjoyed having a huge High Density Display. I watch a whole lot more videos, read tons more articles and do a lot more web browsing on my Note 4 thanks to the huge display.

I am an averaged sized guy, at 5ft10, 170lbs, and have 'normal' sized hands, lol, and I easily use my Note 4 one handed, I am typing this on it effortlessly :)

Anything less than 5.7inch is too small now, waiting to upgrade to the Note6/7/whatever they will call it, glad to hear its rumored to have a 5.8inch display.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I agree with you about the phones being bigger in size but not more cumbersome.

I had a Nokia Lumia 920. It had a 4.5" screen but weighed more than my 5.7" Moto X Pure Edition.
I also agree...I just picked up a Moto X Pure and am coming off a Nokia with a 4" screen. I got used to carrying around the Nokia in a wallet case in my pocket.....the Moto X naked is so slim with so much screen and so little case it's not much difference, just longer in the pocket. But I always dedicate a pocket to just my phone to keep them in good shape. I have trouble with tiny screens and big hands, hard to type and read, and I'm finding I prefer the bigger screen in every way, especially for gaming or watching videos.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I also agree...I just picked up a Moto X Pure and am coming off a Nokia with a 4" screen. I got used to carrying around the Nokia in a wallet case in my pocket.....the Moto X naked is so slim with so much screen and so little case it's not much difference, just longer in the pocket. But I always dedicate a pocket to just my phone to keep them in good shape. I have trouble with tiny screens and big hands, hard to type and read, and I'm finding I prefer the bigger screen in every way, especially for gaming or watching videos.

Even when I use a case, the size isn't a problem, since I don't use extremely bulky cases.