Phone sizes are getting ridiculous

mj0

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to my world!

Can't really do anything now while I'm still traveling but as soon as we settle in the US, which should be somewhen between October and December 2016, I know for sure the first thing I'll do is ditch my current iPhone 6 Plus for an iPhone SE. This 5.5" monstrosity is absolutely ridiculous. If there was a 4" Android smartphone with decent specs I might consider switching but given what's available right now I'd rather chew off my own thumb. Much less painful than lugging around a frying pan sized so-called "phone".

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to my world!

Can't really do anything now while I'm still traveling but as soon as we settle in the US, which should be somewhen between October and December 2016, I know for sure the first thing I'll do is ditch my current iPhone 6 Plus for an iPhone SE. This 5.5" monstrosity is absolutely ridiculous. If there was a 4" Android smartphone with decent specs I might consider switching but given what's available right now I'd rather chew off my own thumb. Much less painful than lugging around a frying pan sized so-called "phone".

I'm leaving for Germany next week and am taking my Moto G because it is light and a good size to carry around.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
The sad part is that consumers are forced into this conflict by the carriers and industry.

Its 2016... you would think they could allow us to activate more than one handset on a line. a big one and a small one, depending on my mood and what I am doing.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
The sad part is that consumers are forced into this conflict by the carriers and industry.

Its 2016... you would think they could allow us to activate more than one handset on a line. a big one and a small one, depending on my mood and what I am doing.

Unless you mean at the same time for no extra cost, what you're asking should be possible. On Verizon all I need to do is input a device on their website and I'm off and running. From what I understand about GSM networks, it's just a SIM swap. Of course if you pay for the privilege you can have two devices on one number.

Dr. S

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Phablets aren't for me, but there seems to be good variety. The Nexus 6P is too big for me, and the iPhone SE is comically small. 5 - 5.2 feels like the sweet spot to me, and there are still plenty of good options there in that size.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to my world!

The difference between the two will be like night and day, I'll say. I think you'll like the SE. Because of its size and power together, I can't see myself giving it up, it's my daily driver at this point. I do try various Androids though. I wish that Sony wouldn't overprice their phones so much, but even so, I'm glad that they believe in 5" phones.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Unless you mean at the same time for no extra cost, what you're asking should be possible. On Verizon all I need to do is input a device on their website and I'm off and running. From what I understand about GSM networks, it's just a SIM swap. Of course if you pay for the privilege you can have two devices on one number.

Yep... thats what I am saying ( in bold). As much as we are paying already for Verizon. Major carrier advantages are getting to be less and less, at least in my immediate neighborhood where Verizon coverage stinks. If a carrier REALLY wanted to differentiate them self from the competition, and potentially increase cellular data usage (a good thing from the carriers perspective)... this is one way to do it.

IMHO of course.

mj0

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
The difference between the two will be like night and day, I'll say. I think you'll like the SE. Because of its size and power together, I can't see myself giving it up, it's my daily driver at this point. I do try various Androids though. I wish that Sony wouldn't overprice their phones so much, but even so, I'm glad that they believe in 5" phones.

I know I will. Had the 5 before and loved it, although truth be told the 4s I'd used for a short time in between was even better in terms of form factor but had a dying battery and mediocre camera compared to today's phones. It ran iOS 9 very well and noticeably faster than iOS 8 though, which surprised me. The only reason why I got the 6 Plus in the end was that I needed a really good camera on the round-the-world trip I'm currently on (five months and still going) and the 6 Plus's OIS was what swayed me towards it. It's a brilliant phone, no questions there, but just like my wife's 6s it's simply too large. I have to take it out of my pocket when I sit down, which is kind of a deal breaker in many countries (think street cafe or restaurant in Marokko, Myanmar, or Brasil).

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Yep... thats what I am saying ( in bold). As much as we are paying already for Verizon. Major carrier advantages are getting to be less and less, at least in my immediate neighborhood where Verizon coverage stinks. If a carrier REALLY wanted to differentiate them self from the competition, and potentially increase cellular data usage (a good thing from the carriers perspective)... this is one way to do it.

IMHO of course.

Makes sense to me, but this is Verizon we're talking about. If they could add a fee for every time someone switches from WiFi to carrier data or from tower to tower they'd probably do it.

tuongtrante1

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
I don't see smartphone getting much biggest then 5.5. One hand devices are going to be in high demand for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87