Phone sizes are getting ridiculous

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Is 5.5" the new normal now? Motorola is going to launch Moto G 4th Gen this month and its going to have 5.5"screen. For those who don't want a tablet sized phone what options are left?
How long will this madness continue? We already have "smartphones" with 6.8 inch displays and soon enough we will have smartphones with 10 inch displays.
I know that the reason display size keeps going up is because there is demand for it. But as Apple has shown there is also demand for phones the size of iPhone SE. Yet i don't see any phones around that size running Android that aren't 5 years old.
I just want an Android phone the size of iPhone SE with Moto G 3rd Gen/4th Gen specs but apparently no one other than me wants such a phone.

km04

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I think it will soon become the new norm, and I am ok with that. I kinda like having all that real estate.

Purple Zebra

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
All the rumours have said their will be 2 Moto Gs, one 5" and one 5.5". But everyone fixates on the bigger one, as if purchasing that model is mandatory.

Posted via the Android Central App

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
No way... those tiny keyboards are impossible for me to use. I was miss-typing every 5-6th letter in my iPhone 5C. Unbelievably frustrating, and I have medium sized hands at most.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
All the rumours have said their will be 2 Moto Gs, one 5" and one 5.5". But everyone fixates on the bigger one, as if purchasing that model is mandatory.
Too true. Too true. Not to mention that no one who beefs about phone's getting bigger ever does anything like a thorough check of display sizes for phones available by region. They ain't all that many phones with displays larger than 5.5" readily available here in the US.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
After owning the G4 it's just too big for me, 10 months in and I don't need any more time to make the determination that it's just too clunky. 4.8" would be optimal for me.

However, I've started looking into the Note 5/6 for purely work productivity needs. Wont like carrying around that thing in my pockets though and it'll be impossible to one hand.

Really I'd like the S7 for weekends and Note 5/6 for the weekdays, but I have no idea how I'd accomplish that switch all the time.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
5.5" is a great size. Ive got vision problems and constantly had to hold my smaller phone up to my face some times. But my S7 edge is perfect. Samsung got the 5.5 screen into a phone thats, overall, smaller in total size than competitors. So I can read the screen better, but also hold it better.

Posted via Android Central App

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
As I see it, a lot of people are much worried about the screen sizes, when they don't realize that the screen size increases, but the phones hardly do nowadays. My brother's 5.7inch Galaxy A8 is the same size as my old 5.5inch Note 2. My current Galaxy S7 Edge is smaller than my old Note 2 despite having the same 5.5inch screen. The 5.1inch Galaxy S7 is about the same size as the previous 4.7inch Galaxy S3.

Worry more about the actual phone size rather than the screen.

Anyway, as for iPhone SE size with decent specs like the Moto G 3rd, the Xperia Z3 compact comes to mind. It's the closest size I can think of.

Actually, I think it has even better specs:
Apple iPhone SE vs. Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact - GSMArena.com

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Is 5.5" the new normal now? Motorola is going to launch Moto G 4th Gen this month and its going to have 5.5"screen. For those who don't want a tablet sized phone what options are left?
How long will this madness continue? We already have "smartphones" with 6.8 inch displays and soon enough we will have smartphones with 10 inch displays.
I know that the reason display size keeps going up is because there is demand for it. But as Apple has shown there is also demand for phones the size of iPhone SE. Yet i don't see any phones around that size running Android that aren't 5 years old.
I just want an Android phone the size of iPhone SE with Moto G 3rd Gen/4th Gen specs but apparently no one other than me wants such a phone.

First, go wash your mouth out with soap for saying the word "Apple" here. Just kidding.

I have the Nexus 6 with a 6" screen. I like the larger size screens. my reason is old eyes but I can see more benefits to come. I think 5" will be the smallest you will find soon.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Actually I have to disagree. This year (2016) most of the flagship phone have stayed the same size or gotten slightly smaller (e.g. Nexus 6 to 6p, Galaxy s6 to s7). 5.2" to 5.5" seems to be becoming the new normal. That's still huge compared to a few years ago, but I don't think phones will continue to get bigger at the rate they had been growing.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I remember when the HTC EVO 4G came out and it had a 4" screen and everyone said how big that was.

I still have mine and it looks like a $10 tracfone smartphone that they sell in Dollar General.:D

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
As I see it, a lot of people are much worried about the screen sizes, when they don't realize that the screen size increases, but the phones hardly do nowadays. My brother's 5.7inch Galaxy A8 is the same size as my old 5.5inch Note 2. My current Galaxy S7 Edge is smaller than my old Note 2 despite having the same 5.5inch screen. The 5.1inch Galaxy S7 is about the same size as the previous 4.7inch Galaxy S3.

Worry more about the actual phone size rather than the screen.

Anyway, as for iPhone SE size with decent specs like the Moto G 3rd, the Xperia Z3 compact comes to mind. It's the closest size I can think of.

Actually, I think it has even better specs:
Apple iPhone SE vs. Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact - GSMArena.com

I agree with you about the phones being bigger in size but not more cumbersome.

I had a Nokia Lumia 920. It had a 4.5" screen but weighed more than my 5.7" Moto X Pure Edition.

Lance Redden

May 9, 2016
Visit site
I used to think a 5.5 inch phone was ridiculous. Coming from and iPhone 5s. With that 4 inch display. I've played with lots of 5.5 inch displays and I admit they WERE too big for me. BUT that's before the S7 Edge came out. I can't believe this phone has a 5.5 screen. The screen to body ratio is phenomenal. Samsung hit this one out of the park. I can actually use this phone one handed. Well done.

Posted via the Android Central App on S7 Edge

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I think phone manufactures have settled releasesing phones in the 5 to 5.7 range. I'm ok with a 5.5 inch phone if the form factor works.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I think you're right srkmagnus....the Galaxy Megas were just huge. I like big phones but those were just giants.

jeffery2jr

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
I SAID I WOULD NEVER GET A PHONE OVER 5.2 BUT ONCE I GOT MY 6P @ 5.6 I'M NEVER GOING BACK IT'S FREAK'IN AWESOME. 5.6 IS THE MAX.

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers