I'm wondering if Google upcoming Daydream VR will work with the S7 when it comes out. I assume Daydream will require Android N, but will there be any hardware requirements that the S7 doesn't have?

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-27-2016 02:56 PM
    Google said that it is highly unlikely that any current flagship will be compatible with Daydream, mainly because they need to be able to run VR applications at really high resolutions while maintaining 60FPS to prevent motion-sickness.

That would make a lot of the current phones cry in pain.
    05-28-2016 01:20 AM
    According to the developers behind Daydream, that's up to Samsung. As long as they don't alter Android N to make it incompatible, the Snapdragon version will work, and the Exynos version should work once it's updated. It will be prone to overheat though, just like the Nexus 6P will be. Not surprising as it overheats in Gear VR, too.

The same goes for the G5 and HTC 10.

I asked them about these three specifically at Google I/O.
    05-28-2016 01:34 AM
    Just to add on..

Google Daydream VR-daydream-ready-smartphone-android-vr-680x383.jpg

Besides strong hardware and a display that has low-persistence and a high-resolution (both of which are present on the Galaxy S7), Daydream-ready phones also need high-performance sensors that are well-calibrated. I'm not sure how the sensors on the GS7 are like for VR, especially since the Gear VR has its own IMU, so I'm not sure if it's good-enough for Daydream.

And another point. Here are the 8 partners that are working on Daydream-compatible devices;
    • Samsung
    • HTC
    • LG
    • Xiaomi
    • Huawei
    • ZTE
    • ASUS
    • Alcatel
    05-28-2016 03:37 AM
    Glad Google have set the bar high, IMO, it will help at advance VR faster. I think it is still early days, and even a S7 Edge or HTC 10 will heat up badly with longer use of VR. ARM, Intel, Samsung, Qualcomm, Huawei etc... Will have to start building GPUs that are not just more powerful but, smaller and produce far less heat. Maybe we are going to see a lot more phones come with heat pipes and all that between 2016/2017.
    05-31-2016 02:54 PM
    It seems like this may be one time when waiting for a rumored Qualcomm super chip that'll answer all of our prayers might actually be a reasonable strategy. Even if phones that show up later this year do fare better with Daydream VR than any existing phones, I've gotta assume that this first batch of truly Daydream-capable phones are still gonna be testing the waters and testing Google's ability to set minimum standards before the fact.
    05-31-2016 04:14 PM
    It seems like this may be one time when waiting for a rumored Qualcomm super chip that'll answer all of our prayers might actually be a reasonable strategy. Even if phones that show up later this year do fare better with Daydream VR than any existing phones, I've gotta assume that this first batch of truly Daydream-capable phones are still gonna be testing the waters and testing Google's ability to set minimum standards before the fact.
    Exactly!
    History has proven that the early gadgets always tend to be more like Beta devices. Remember the 1st 2 rounds of LTE phones??? They could barely last a full day, now it is expected.
    06-01-2016 11:56 AM