Hey guys I know these threads get made quite a lot, but I'm having a hard time making a decision. I'm currently in need of a new phone and trying to figure out what the best option is. I recently picked up the LG stylo 2, and while I really enjoy the size and feel of the phone, there are a few things I'm not happy with and most likely will return it.

With current refurb Galaxy Note 4 deals on ebay putting it at about $220 and LG G4 deals at $180 (aware of the bootlooping issue though), and of course the Moto g4 and g4 plus being released, I'm kind of stuck on what to do. The moto g4 brand new for $125 seems like a steal, but having the 16MP camera of the plus might just be worth the extra money, or is the Note 4 just a better phone and the G4 shouldn't even be looked at? Are there other options I'm not even considering?

The only features I prefer are a larger screen size, 5.5" or bigger would be nice, and at least 2GB of RAM along with a decent performing processor. I do some on-demand driving and noticed the stylo 2 lagged a bit with waze and postmates running at the same time. I would like to spend $150 or less but if it makes sense I would spend $220ish.

Thanks in advance
    07-06-2016 11:53 AM
    Hey guys I know these threads get made quite a lot, but I'm having a hard time making a decision. I'm currently in need of a new phone and trying to figure out what the best option is. I recently picked up the LG stylo 2, and while I really enjoy the size and feel of the phone, there are a few things I'm not happy with and most likely will return it.

With current refurb Galaxy Note 4 deals on ebay putting it at about $220 and LG G4 deals at $180 (aware of the bootlooping issue though), and of course the Moto g4 and g4 plus being released, I'm kind of stuck on what to do. The moto g4 brand new for $125 seems like a steal, but having the 16MP camera of the plus might just be worth the extra money, or is the Note 4 just a better phone and the G4 shouldn't even be looked at? Are there other options I'm not even considering?

The only features I prefer are a larger screen size, 5.5" or bigger would be nice, and at least 2GB of RAM along with a decent performing processor. I do some on-demand driving and noticed the stylo 2 lagged a bit with waze and postmates running at the same time. I would like to spend $150 or less but if it makes sense I would spend $220ish.

Thanks in advance
    The Galaxy note 4 is a very solid device. So is the G4. I'd strongly consider either, and depending on the screen size and price, make your choice there.

Are you on a specific carrier? That'd be helpful to know. If you can use unlocked phones, maybe check out the Zenfone Laser. I've heard great things about that device, and the Zenfone 2 was awesome!

Buying a new, cheap phone is risky. The Honor 5x was a complete letdown imho. I'm sure the moto g4s are good devices, but they weren't ever designed to compete like the older, higher end phones. I like the G4 because the 808 was an awesome processor in a year where flagships were plagued by the awful 810. It also gives it a 64 bit processor, which is more future proof than the Note 4. Think about how long you'll have the device and decide whether or not it's worth it to you.

If it were my money, I'd have the LG - but you know what's most important to you in this process! Good luck!
    libra89 likes this.
    07-06-2016 12:15 PM
    Thanks for the reply, I'll check out the Zenfone's. I really wanted to just pull the trigger on a G4, but it seems like every single one of them eventually bootloops.

I should have implicitly stated that carrier doesn't matter. I'm currently with Virgin, but I get a lot of data dropping which costs me money so possibly looking to go to Verizon or T-Mobile pre-paid services.
    07-06-2016 12:18 PM

Thanks in advance
    Who is your carrier? Did you get the Stylo 2 (Boost) or the Stylo 2 Plus (Metro)?

Out of your choices, i would go w/the Note 4.
    07-06-2016 12:29 PM
    If it were me, I would go with the G4. It is still a very good phone, even with the G5's recent release. Good luck with your decision, and let us know how you've made out!!

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-06-2016 12:32 PM
    Who is your carrier? Did you get the Stylo 2 (Boost) or the Stylo 2 Plus (Metro)?

Out of your choices, i would go w/the Note 4.
    Stylo 2 (Virgin), Willing/Planning to switch to T-mobile or Verizon pre-paid, maybe ATT
    tube517 likes this.
    07-06-2016 12:32 PM
    Yeah, they really gave Virgin, Boost and Cricket the inferior Stylos....
    07-06-2016 12:42 PM
    Thanks for all the replies so far guys.

At the price point I'm still really stuck. As for the Moto G4 Plus, the camera looks really nice but has overheating issues, on the other hand it's brand new with 1 year warranty and truly universal over CDMA/GSM. After doing a little research, I think mostly because of the camera, the G4 would be a clear winner to me if not for the bootlooping issues. I can find one for around $200, I'm just worried it will bootloop shortly after purchasing it and I will have to pay to have it serviced.
    07-06-2016 12:53 PM
    Thanks for all the replies so far guys.

At the price point I'm still really stuck. As for the Moto G4 Plus, the camera looks really nice but has overheating issues, on the other hand it's brand new with 1 year warranty and truly universal over CDMA/GSM. After doing a little research, I think mostly because of the camera, the G4 would be a clear winner to me if not for the bootlooping issues. I can find one for around $200, I'm just worried it will bootloop shortly after purchasing it and I will have to pay to have it serviced.
    If LG has refurbished the phone, chances are the bootloop issue is worked out.
    07-06-2016 03:13 PM
    That's what I was thinking. This seems like a good deal but the condition is new, so I'm wondering if I'm better off going with a slightly scratched refurbished model for around the same price

LG G4 H811 32GB 4G LTE T Mobile GSM Unlocked Android Smartphone | eBay

Also, is there a reason to go with the lg g4 over the Moto g4 plus? Better performing processor on the lg mainly?
    07-06-2016 03:54 PM
    Well guys after a bit of research and realizing the bootloop issue for LG g4 is basically going to happen endlessly I think I'll be going with the Note 4. Found one in great condition here on CL for $190, people have reported issues with the Marshmallow update but it looks like debloating solves most of them. If anyone has any last second input it'd be greatly appreciated.
    07-06-2016 07:23 PM
    At that price point, I would go with the Moto G4.
    07-06-2016 09:35 PM
    G4 or g4+? The g4 being only 125 with the prime deal makes it extremely attractive even with sacrificing camera quality
    07-06-2016 11:24 PM
    G4 or g4+? The g4 being only 125 with the prime deal makes it extremely attractive even with sacrificing camera quality
    Moto G4+... you may have to pay a little more but it is worthy.
    07-07-2016 03:23 AM
    Thanks for the input. I'm still very torn. I found a Note 4 here on CL for $140 with "Lag issues" they seem to not be very phone savvy and I think a hard reset would fix the issues from what I've read.

The g4+ being brand new and having warranty is seeming very attractive though
    07-07-2016 12:04 PM
    Hey guys not that I assume anyone is too interested. The Note 4 was pretty scuffed up and laggy, didn't want to risk it. I think I'm just going to go with the G4+ for $200, mainly due to it being brand new and having high returnability/resaleability if I don't like it.
    maclancer likes this.
    07-08-2016 02:04 AM
    You could also grab a used note 4 on amazon for around $220-250, should be returnable if you don't like it.
    07-09-2016 12:00 PM
    Well guys after a bit of research and realizing the bootloop issue for LG g4 is basically going to happen endlessly I think I'll be going with the Note 4.
    I believe the bootloop issue only affected the early ones, built before August 2015.

Note 4 is a nice device... Samsung has all but forgotten the thing, like they often do on previous gen models, but the LG isn't much different in that regard. With Lenovo messing up there Moto update track record, the only Android phones left that will have reliable OEM support for long term are the Nexus line.
    07-12-2016 07:07 AM
    Did you consider some Xiaomi phone ?
    07-16-2016 01:01 PM
    I really like the G4 - the removable battery is also a nice feature for it
    07-18-2016 05:38 PM
    Careful with the Zenfones. Read the reviews. A ton of people have had problems with those devices and ASUS customer and warranty support has been pretty poor when it comes to their phones. Definitely check out reviews on Amazon, reddit, and other android or tech sites.
    07-19-2016 12:22 PM