Yep, you saw the tagline. Samsung just launched a new line of memory cards based on UFS storage tech, the same storage tech used in their flagship smartphones since the Galaxy S6.

Samsung launches new line of UFS-based memory cards-download.jpg
    https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/06/...vable-storage/

For the top-end 256GB variant, sequential read speeds top out at 530MB/s and sequential write speeds top out at 170MB/s. They're fast, especially for removable memory cards.

They're an entirely different standard, so current devices with microSD card slots won't support them. It'll probably be a while before devices that support these cards will come forth, though.

What do you guys think?
    07-07-2016 12:31 AM
    A new card, offering nothing (except maybe a higher price) that can only be used on their phones?

No thanks, I'll stick with the inventors, SanDisk. (The "best microSD cards" can already handle 8k video, so what are we going for here? "My card can go 3 times as fast as reality"?)
    07-08-2016 06:37 PM
    A new card, offering nothing (except maybe a higher price) that can only be used on their phones?

No thanks, I'll stick with the inventors, SanDisk. (The "best microSD cards" can already handle 8k video, so what are we going for here? "My card can go 3 times as fast as reality"?)
    UFS is an open standard, though.

Posted via the Android Central App
    AndroidDinh likes this.
    07-09-2016 12:48 AM
    Just wanted to bump this with an update. The Samsung-created design for UFS card slots allows use of MicroSD cards, which is why the UFS cards are similar looking. As for the benefits, UFS cards are obviously faster, but they also offer higher-capacities and lower power consumption than any microSD card design is capable of.
    10-19-2016 04:54 PM