Good small phones? Ideas, suggestions?

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I'll like to ask you all for suggestions for small phones that aren't complete trash.
Right now, I have the Nextbit Robin (which I like quite a bit), the iPhone SE (also liking it too) and the Lumia 640.

I would really like to have a smaller phone than the Robin, which has a 5.2" screen. Preferably somewhere in the range of 4.5-5" screen size, and it needs to hit at least midrange status, if not around it.

What's important to me in a phone:
-Cameras (doesn't need to be the best, but it should be good enough)
-Battery life
-OS/UI (not sure what it is called really)
-Color options (just black and white are kind of boring to me)
-Price (no more than $300 new and/or used)

I am on T-Mobile by the way. Band 12 is important but not the end all be all. Updates would be nice too but not required.

Here's the options I know of:
-HTC Desire 530 (5") - not out yet but soon
-Sony Xperia Z5 Compact (a little too high for me at the current price)
-Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (no band 12, but eh)
-HTC One A9
-OnePlus X (the bamboo back makes this a possibility, no band 12)
-Moto G (2015) (no band 12?, not sure how the camera is on this one)

Suggestions on if I should bother with any of these or just wait for the rumored smaller Nexus (it probably wouldn't be 300, though but still)? General suggestions that I missed here?

Edit: I was looking forward to the Sony Xperia XA, but it has reviewed poorly so I'm going to pass on that.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What about the s6? Battery life isn't great but otherwise it is a good phone. I picked up a few new from best buy for $200 no contract

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
What about the s6? Battery life isn't great but otherwise it is a good phone. I picked up a few new from best buy for $200 no contract

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. What do you mean by the battery life not being good? Does it have to be charged more than once a day? I really just do social media and reading, no games, I'm a casual user for sure lol.

Edit: I checked it out. It's cool, but I like the blue variant more. The edge has a beautiful green too, but those are way more than I can put towards a phone. Maybe next year, since I like to buy my phones outright. I should have said that before, oops.

Edit 2: Found a A9 for a little bit out of my range, very tempting. It's the only phone on my mini list that has no reservations, and it looks like it will get Nougat too.

Edit 3: Strongly considering the a9, seems like it could be ideal for me. I just might take a chance on it.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. What do you mean by the battery life not being good? Does it have to be charged more than once a day? I really just do social media and reading, no games, I'm a casual user for sure lol.

Edit: I checked it out. It's cool, but I like the blue variant more. The edge has a beautiful green too, but those are way more than I can put towards a phone. Maybe next year, since I like to buy my phones outright. I should have said that before, oops.

Edit 2: Found a A9 for a little bit out of my range, very tempting. It's the only phone on my mini list that has no reservations, and it looks like it will get Nougat too.

Edit 3: Strongly considering the a9, seems like it could be ideal for me. I just might take a chance on it.
It could make it a day on light usage.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
That's good to know. I ended up going with the a9, saw too good of a deal to pass up for a basically new phone in the color I wanted. Since I am a special snowflake, I wanted the deep red but hey I did say that I like color choices.

Champion RunNGun

May 25, 2016
Visit site
Look for some ALCATEL one touch phones. I have the alcatel one touch pop 3 5 , I bought it 100$ and its pretty good. It has good cameras(5 & 2 mp), its 5 inches, Lollipop 5.1, and in different colours. Look at it if you want...

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Look for some ALCATEL one touch phones. I have the alcatel one touch pop 3 5 , I bought it 100$ and its pretty good. It has good cameras(5 & 2 mp), its 5 inches, Lollipop 5.1, and in different colours. Look at it if you want...

Thank you for answering. I looked into it and it's a nice little phone. 8gb storage is just too small for me, and the main camera is not enough for my needs. I looked into the Idol 3, which seems to be pretty cool but only coming in black is kind of a bummer. Yeah really.

Champion RunNGun

May 25, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I have a little problem with the storage, since its actual storage its 4.60 Gb, the other 3,40 I don't know where it goes...Wish you find the phone you like...

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
The One Plus X is a fantastic phone - has a great feel and build quality overall, though support isn't quite as good
Yeah, it seemed to be fairly decent. The colors seem to be fading out, along with support.

In other news, I got my HTC One A9 today. So far, the size is nice. Not a fan of all or none encryption though. That aside, I'm still installing updates so I can't comment much on it.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
The A9 is nice, but I don't know if it's the one...all because of how much screen protectors suck on it. Debating what to do with it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante