I've been having issues with my S4 mini. I wanted to install the Lollipop update but had to flash a ROM to unroot it and now I can't update it and the model that it is is rare and hard to find any info on (can't flash the Marshmallow update to my model). So I'm wondering if it's time to move on. I'm toying with maybe just getting a different model S4 since I'm happy with it otherwise, I just really want Lollipop.
    Things it needs to have:

SMALL. I'm not a big phone person. 4.5-5.0 screen size although the screen-to-body ratio can be as big as possible.
    Needs to work on AT&T network or be unlocked and GSM.
    Easy to root - I use Tasker and use VoIP at home so I switch it to Airplane Mode at home and need to be able to root the phone for that.
    NOT brand new/released. I just want it to have/be able to get Marshmallow but I actually prefer older phones so I can buy them cheaper used as we have prepaid service and just buy our phones full price.
    Oh - and Android.
    07-31-2016 11:51 AM
    If you are willing to go a little bigger, at a 5.2in screen size the Nextbit Robin is insanely awesome imo. I have one and it works great. It is unlocked GSM, runs marshmallow out of the box, EXTREMELY easy to root (basically comes with an unlocked bootloader). I rooted mine in like 10 minutes, including boot time and downloading drivers, etc. Nextbit will also honor the warranty even if your phone is rooted. They were $400 dollars when they launched, but are at $300 as of now. In terms of specs, it isn't a flagship obviously, but it is fairly decent and gets the job done without a problem. I would recommend you to research it a little bit and see in fact if it could be the phone for you.
    07-31-2016 01:40 PM
    ETA: My bad - I meant Lollipop. Some S4s can get Lollipop but mine apparently can't.
    07-31-2016 02:23 PM
    get an s7 . its 5.1 in
    Inders99 likes this.
    07-31-2016 06:15 PM
    get an s7 . its 5.1 in
    Agree...love mine. They're hitting Swappa used now and can get some house deals.
    07-31-2016 09:40 PM
    Last year's moto g if you want a deal, small phone and solid device. This year's model is really great but it's larger.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-01-2016 08:02 AM
    Last year's moto g if you want a deal, small phone and solid device. This year's model is really great but it's larger.
    It doesn't have NFC (if that matters), but aside from that, I agree.
    08-01-2016 09:34 AM
    Hmm this one looks bigger than the S7. Maybe I should go look at the phones in the store and see what I think. I don't know if I'm really going to find anything as small as what I have, plus good quality, plus can be modded.
    08-01-2016 10:24 AM
    Hmm this one looks bigger than the S7. Maybe I should go look at the phones in the store and see what I think. I don't know if I'm really going to find anything as small as what I have, plus good quality, plus can be modded.
    Small and good is SO hard with Android for some reason. How about the unlocked Sony Xperia Z3 Compact? Used would probably allow for a better deal. I believe that it was upgraded to MM.

The Z5 compact is still quite a bit pricey, regardless if it was used or not.
    08-01-2016 11:08 AM
    Upon research, I found: Moto X (2013), Moto E (2nd Gen). Some LGs, some Sonys but a lot of them don't have CM mods and I really think I want something that has a confirmed and working CM mod.
    I love my Samsung though and am not familiar w/ the Motos. Looks like the one doesn't have removable storage but comes with a good bit so that's fine. And they don't have removable batteries which is strange to me as well. But maybe not a big deal?
    08-01-2016 11:10 AM
    That is correct. There's no perfect phone; however, you can find something that is close enough and if you are able to make certain sacrifices on features then you'll find something that suits you well.
    tori729 and libra89 like this.
    08-01-2016 12:55 PM
    Are there good places to go to look at phones that might be slightly older? Like Walmart as opposed to an AT&T store?
    08-01-2016 02:39 PM