The Note 7 has made me less interested in the upcoming Nexus

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
After reading all these glowingly positive reviews for the Note 7 it just has me wondering. Does having latest version of Android really matter anymore when a device is this good?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
That's a matter of personal preference. I personally like to be running the latest version of the OS, which is why I have a Nexus, but I don't suppose I'd actually explode without it. Nevertheless I'm certainly aiming to buy a Sailfish to carry on where my Nexus 5 leaves off.
But the Note 7 will surely be upgraded to Android 7.0 fairly early?

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a Nexus 6P and honestly while Nougat is good, the features the Note 7 has in terms of hardware outweigh the software features a potentially new Nexus device might have.

Nexus devices have always been very conservative in terms of software features. Nothing fancy just simple, inexcessive amounts of features and smooth, somewhat consistent performance. I can't imagine the new Nexus devices bringing all that much to the table that most Marshmallow devices don't already have to some extent.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's so subjective... I personally loved Nexus so I would buy a new one regardless of how quickly I would get updates. I just loved the experience.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Once you get over "stock Android over everything", a large world opens up to you.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
So you're less interested in the Nexus brand because of the new Note 7...?

Well if you say, so I suppose.

Tell me something please.. What possessed you to go with a developers phone to begin with?

If having the latest and greatest " Next" big thing is what you really want, the Nexus line has never been this...

I've never really understood the folks who buy a Nexus who somehow expected to be dazzled and amazed.. It's never been about this aspect, although from the leaks on the new ones coming out this year it seems to be going that way.. But it shouldn't be IMHO... It's always been about having the purest os free of any carriers influence and a work horse of a device that can be used for developing the roms and mods.. Granted they are getting better on the specs and experience with the software but it's still a developer phone..

Well this year I don't care about the Note and nothing could sway me to buy one.. Sure I would use one if given to me, but I won't purchase one..

This year I will be buying a Nexus phone because I am flat fed up with the carriers offerings and want to tweak mine like days of old.. I want the latest version which the note won't really see soon and when it does finally find it's way onto it, it will already be behind and so changed and locked down I wouldn't be able to make it mine..

Go ahead and be dazzled with the new note if this makes you feel better about it.. It's your money... But I won't be suckered again by their fancy commercials or being pushed by some sites..

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Tell me something please.. What possessed you to go with a developers phone to begin with?

I've never really understood the folks who buy a Nexus who somehow expected to be dazzled and amazed..

Well this year I don't care about the Note and nothing could sway me to buy one.. Sure I would use one if given to me, but I won't purchase one..

Go ahead and be dazzled with the new note if this makes you feel better about it.. It's your money... But I won't be suckered again by their fancy commercials or being pushed by some sites..

You make a good point. The attraction to the Nexus was the stock Android, bloat-free experience that continues to be one of the best out there.

However, I must remind you that Nexus devices are sold to consumers on the Google Store so they aren't exactly developer devices. Maybe they're used by developers but if they were exclusively developer phones Google would only be selling them through the developer program I.e. you'd have to register to be a developer.
With branding used like Nexus Imprint and Nexus Protect (I'm pretty sure branding is not used to entice developers - they would presumably go for the hardware platform) as well as the product page talking about its design, camera, etc then you can very clearly see that they are trying to sell the phone to mainstream consumers, albeit not very well.

The point really is the hype of the Note 7 is so unprecedented that it's making me wonder whether or not it's even worth waiting for the new Nexus devices. I have Nougat on my 6P and most of the features, while good, aren't all that ground breaking, so I kind of know what to expect.

On top of that, based on the leaks I don't see the new Nexus devices being all that interesting. The 6P to me is a very unique and special device. The camera visor on top makes it look so very unique, and its price in the US was simply unbeatable considering what you got, but with the rise of the SD820 as well as Samsung making incredible devices this year, the benefits of stock Android are becoming slimmer.

TL;DR I love my Nexus 6P and stock android but with hardware like the N7 it's becoming ever difficult to justify the benefits of having one.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So you're less interested in the Nexus brand because of the new Note 7...?

If having the latest and greatest " Next" big thing is what you really want, the Nexus line has never been this...

I've never really understood the folks who buy a Nexus who somehow expected to be dazzled and amazed.. It's never been about this aspect, although from the leaks on the new ones coming out this year it seems to be going that way.. But it shouldn't be IMHO... It's always been about having the purest os free of any carriers influence and a work horse of a device that can be used for developing the roms and mods.. Granted they are getting better on the specs and experience with the software but it's still a developer phone..

This year I will be buying a Nexus phone because I am flat fed up with the carriers offerings and want to tweak mine like days of old.. I want the latest version which the note won't really see soon and when it does finally find it's way onto it, it will already be behind and so changed and locked down I wouldn't be able to make it mine..

I'd argue that the Nexus hasn't been a developer's phone since the Nexus One.

Last edited:

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
That's fine for you. I've seen enough people ask "where is feature x?" when switching from Nexus to Samsung or any other OEM.

This.

My first Android was a Nexus (5x, yep I was super late to the party). Because of what I read everywhere, it seemed like Nexus was king. Then I tried other Androids (Nextbit Robin, Sony Xperia Z3, HTC One A9) and I saw a difference. You can get used to certain features and going to Nexus is going without them.

The Robin is pretty much stock Android, but then I tried the Z3 and A9 and I was shocked to find all of these options, including themes, which I thought was awesome. HTC adds the ability to "hide" apps in the app drawer which I loved. Can't get that from a Nexus.

I also hear about Moto's gestures and additions too, which sound cool. There are positives to each side really, but personally I need my next Android to get Nougat at least. After that, I'm probably indifferent.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
You make a good point. The attraction to the Nexus was the stock Android, bloat-free experience that continues to be one of the best out there.

However, I must remind you that Nexus devices are sold to consumers on the Google Store so they aren't exactly developer devices. Maybe they're used by developers but if they were exclusively developer phones Google would only be selling them through the developer program I.e. you'd have to register to be a developer.
With branding used like Nexus Imprint and Nexus Protect (I'm pretty sure branding is not used to entice developers - they would presumably go for the hardware platform) as well as the product page talking about its design, camera, etc then you can very clearly see that they are trying to sell the phone to mainstream consumers, albeit not very well.

The point really is the hype of the Note 7 is so unprecedented that it's making me wonder whether or not it's even worth waiting for the new Nexus devices. I have Nougat on my 6P and most of the features, while good, aren't all that ground breaking, so I kind of know what to expect.

On top of that, based on the leaks I don't see the new Nexus devices being all that interesting. The 6P to me is a very unique and special device. The camera visor on top makes it look so very unique, and its price in the US was simply unbeatable considering what you got, but with the rise of the SD820 as well as Samsung making incredible devices this year, the benefits of stock Android are becoming slimmer.

TL;DR I love my Nexus 6P and stock android but with hardware like the N7 it's becoming ever difficult to justify the benefits of having one.

Just because non-developers can purchase them is irrelevant to being a developer's phone.. They are and have always been utilized for this.

The reason why they are being bought and used by the general public is because of their strong points which is good hardware at a reasonable price point, fast updates, and no carrier bloat

They are running pure Android with good hardware and as such are used for their intended purpose.. Like I said before.. Things are changing though.. and we may see Google shift entirely away from the Nexus phones.. And that would be a tragedy IMHO

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Once carriers start selling them, it's no longer just a developer phone.

It doesn't matter if any of the carriers sell it.. It's still considered a developer's phone.

Exclusivity isn't a requirement here,because anyone can become a developer, and learn how to make mods..

The Nexus phone has always been a desirable phone for a lot of people for a lot of reasons and many even today cannot afford to pay full price for the device and subsidize the device to own it and the availability on the carriers are proof of them wanting to cash in on it..nothing more.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't matter if any of the carriers sell it.. It's still considered a developer's phone.

Exclusivity isn't a requirement here,because anyone can become a developer, and learn how to make mods..

The Nexus phone has always been a desirable phone for a lot of people for a lot of reasons and many even today cannot afford to pay full price for the device and subsidize the device to own it and the availability on the carriers are proof of them wanting to cash in on it..nothing more.

It hasn't just been a developer phone since the Nexus One. Saying that it's desirable for other reasons reiterates that point.

The Nexus S on Sprint made Nexus no longer just a developer's phone. The exclusivity of the Galaxy Nexus to Verizon for a short time frame made Nexus no longer just a developer's phone. (yes, the Galaxy is a real Nexus). Nexus 4 from T-Mobile made Nexus no longer just a developer's phone. Nexus 5 from Sprint made Nexus no longer just a developer's phone. Nexus 6 on all major US carriers made Nexus no longer just a developer's phone. The mainstream ad push for the Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P made Nexus no longer just a developer's phone. The Nexus is whatever Google wants it to be.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Tell that to the developers... The Nexus is still the reference device for most every major custom ROM.
That's cool I guess. Custom ROMs have their place but app developers probably need Nexus phones more than ROM developers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos