Gear S2 my ideal smartwatch choice?

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I have a Gear S, and I like it, but don't use it much due to its BIG footprint and how charging it is a bit of a PITA. Now, I'm 3, 4 counting the watch Samsung devices deep, and since I'm planning on getting a Note 4 soon(unless I win the contest for the 7), is the Gear S2 my best smartwatch pick, as plenty on Ebay/swappa are being sold for quite frankly intriguing amounts, or is there some other well thought of suggestions?

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I passed on the samsung watches. It was an easy pass actually with my preference for open source apps and software. I went with a moto 360 and don't have any major complaints. I went with the big one for its higher battery capacity. I also like the wireless charging stand, just wish it was a little more travel-friendly.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
No. It will notify you of an incoming call with screen alerts and vibration. You can then answer the call touching the icon on the screen. But the actual act of speaking and listening still is done through the phone. The moto 360 is essentially a silent, non-audible device, vibration and visual alerts only. It has no way to make or play back sounds. I couldn't say for sure if its just a Samsung feature though. Other watches may do that too.

The closest thing the Moto will do is voice recognition / conversion to text. So you speak into it and it translates it to written text messages. This is its most useful feature, right next to being a remote notification window.

Gnosis01

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I love my Gear S2 3G and I'm glad I own one. The only reason I can think of to go with and Android Wear smartwatch is the apps. I would assume there are a lot more. Though I have everything I can't think of on my watch.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
one further note on android wear and open source apps.. they can be very buggy. Freezing, lagging, lockups and various bugaboos... as with any open source ecosystem. So whenever I D/L a new app I find I need to be on bug alert for the first day or two. I end up deleting about 10% of my apps and watch dial downloads. So far none have bricked my watch or phone (knock on wood). Worst case was a watch reboot a couple months ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22